Hepatitis C Community
Hep.C diet

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep.C diet

I did not secseed with my hep.C treatment. Now I am waiting for new treatment available.
My liver biopcy is:

fibrosis - stage 2,
siroses -NO

What kind of diet should I follow in order to reduce a pressure on my liver.
I also read that usually people with the liver problem overweight.
Is it really any connection between liver and weight control?
Thank you
http://janis7hepc.com/Nutrition/hepatitis_c_diet.htm
There shouldn't be any significant pressure on your liver or problems with flow in the portal vein with stage 2 fibrosis.  

People who are obese can develop hepatic steatosis or fatty liver more easily and things like alcohol and diabetes can add to this occurrence.  However, steatosis is significantly more common in patients with genotype 3 compared with other genotypes, and in these patients, an SVR is associated with steatosis clearance.

Eating a healthy diet is recommended for maintaining good health whether you have hepc or not and those of who are not cirrhotic have no special diet.  Moderation and exercise is the key to good health in my opinion.

Trinity
You liver is relativity healthy. So you have time on your side. The new antivirals will give you a better chance of SVR.

You didn't say how you responded to treatment. That will determine the chances of achieving SVR with the antivirals. So it is good to know if you read the trial data which category you fall into I.E. null responder, relapser, breakthrough...

I would also suggest limiting exposure to alcohol and liver stressful meds such as NAIDS (ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen).

Good luck!
HectorSF
I'm sorry to hear about your unsuccessful treatment.

As to food. I would suggest to keep to a healthy diet. Lots of fresh greens and the less toxins in and on your body, the better.

The ideal would be to eat all organic and to only use organic products on body and hair, as well as around the house. Before treating I went 100% organic and was able to bring my ALT from 139 down to the 50ies.

This might not be possible for everyone, but one can strive to leaning more towards organic products. With some products it doesn't make so much of a difference. If you want to go into that direction, you can google to find out which non-organic products have hardly any pesticides. Onions are one of them.

Good luck, Marcia

I feel " fresh fruits and vegetables" cannot be a blanket advise. I suggest the following

Keep low in Vit A/ carotenes
Low in fat
Low in sugars and easily digested carbs
Low in iron food
low in Vit c or take it empty stomach
Good intake of protein
lots of fluids
Low in Chocolates
No to alcohol
No to NSAID

I can explain each point if anyone wants.
I understand all of the above but the "keep low in Vit A/ carotnens. I was told that eating raw carrots is good for the liver. So you have a source for your opinion?

Thanks.
Hi dranurag,
Thank you so much for detailed explanation about the diet.
This is very closely what I am doing for weight controll. I am very slim 105pound (164 cm), but with a lot of efford.
The only I hope it is OK 2 tb spoon  of Sunflower, Flax seed and olive oil with my big salad.
Althought I  was suprise about  "Low in iron food
low in Vit c or take it empty stomach "
I eat whole lemon on emty stomic every day in the morning. What is science behind
low Vit. C and iron
Hi Hector SF,
thank you for your comment,
I am not sure which category I belong but my treatment was kind of strange, from the prospective of my doctor. After 4 weeks my response was very good, after 12 weeks worse
almost but not 2 log drop. After pegilated interferon I was sweeted on infergen (15mcg)
dayly and I achived undetectable level, after 11 months, almost at the end of treatment my virus came back.
Do you think I might to go on treatment again or weit or new available?
Hey, Marcia,
Thank you  for your comment. I am a little confused about influence of non-organic food on our liver. I am from Ukraine and now live in the USA and I was always woundering why peole are buying more expansive, but organic food. I even thought it might be just advertizing for "picky" people. Is any special harm from hormons or pestisid why special organization, I am not sure how it call in the USA may be food and drug rotection allow it to put in a chane of distribution in the market?
Hmmm you're right it is a little confusing. (My hepatic encephalopathy (HE) is clouding my thinking right now but I think these figures are correct).

Nonresponse: failure to achieve undetectable HCV RNA during or at end of treatment

Virologic breakthrough: undetectable HCV during previous treatment but detectable before completion of previous treatment

"Vertex Reports 52% SVR 12 Rate for a 24-week Telaprevir-based Regimen in Genotype 1 Hepatitis C Patients Who Failed Prior Treatment (PROVE 3 Trial)

• 39% of prior non responders achieved SVR with 24-week telaprevir-based treatment.

• 70% of prior breakthrough responders achieved SVR with 24-week telaprevir-based regimen".

More current data will come out before Telaprevir is marketed so we'll know more than.
Personally I would wait at least until Telaprevir comes out in about a year. The odds of SVR will be a lot higher.

HectorSF