Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C and pain medications

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C and pain medications

I have hepatitis c. What kind of prescription medicine can I take for pain for a bulging disc pressing on a nerve in my spine and grinding hip sockets due to a shorter leg that isn't so hard on my liver? I have bad reactions to neurological medications.
Avatar n tn
I thinkg you need ask your Doctor is not the same for everyone, and depend on your conditions. contreras
What are you taking now? Pain meds are used by many of us, but it is done in moderation. All these drugs are filtered through the liver.
Avatar n tn
While we're on the subject. I have a headache. I've taken ibuprofen usually once a day my entire adult life until the other day when I was just diagnosed w HCV. Is aspirin a safe headache remedy for us? Anything else liver friendly? Aspirin has never been all that helpful for me. ...I realize a headache is but a minor inconvenience, but I'm trying to work out all these little things as I settle in for what is probably a long-term relationship w my condition. Thanks.
Avatar n tn
I got sick off of Methadose,had side effects from Fentanyl and Neurontin. Doctor keeps prescribing neurological medications to which I either have bad reactions or turn into a zombie. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Avatar n tn
I take oxycodone (Not to be confused with Oxycontin - although it is the same drug).  Vicodin is OK too but not quite as strong.  Vicoprofen has the same narcotic, hydrocodone but no acetaminophen (Tylenol) which can be tough on the ol' liver.  Oxycodone has no fillers, it's just the narcotic.  However, the person who also responded has the best answer, check with your doctor if he/she gives a hang they will fix you up.
Avatar n tn
an opium based med. good luck getting it tho. oxycodone can bomb you out. oxycontin is slow release
Avatar n tn
You really shouldn't be taking aspirin or ibuprofen or any Nsaids(Non steriodal anti inflammatories). Even Tylenol is better....in small doses of less than 4 grams. And NEVER with alcohol (which you shouldn't be drinking anyway!). I try to stay away of anything that would even hint at being problematic to my liver.

2hep2it
Have you thought about asking your doctor about Ultram (Tramadol?)  It's not real strong, but stronger than over the counter pain meds.  It's a non-narcotic, but you need a prescription for it.  You need to take it every day in order for it to work right.  I take 2 a day.  It helps alot with the pain, although it doesn't remove it entirely.  Ask your doctor about it.

Susan
Avatar n tn
Tramadol seems to have the same warnings as other pain meds in re to liver Susan400.

Ug! So is that it? Is low doses of Acetaminophen w/o alcohol the best and only remedy for pain relief for us?
Avatar n tn
To follow up on this:

My doc says baby-doses of Acetaminophen w/o alcohol is indeed the best pain relief option we have.
Avatar n tn
i have hep c and chronic pain what can i take?
I'm allowed 4 extra strength tylenols a day.  NSAID's (aleve, ibuprofin) gave me cirrhosis so avoid those.  If you have liver damage, you need to avoid aspirin because it will cause even more clotting problems, which you may already be having.
i just went on a binge for twwo days with oxy and have hep c and my liver hurts! it feels swollen , will this go away?
Hi Tiffany,
My name is Frank & have been unable to find a pain-treatment MD that will
prescribe Methadone for my Hep-C pain. I live in Kentucky. If you are aware of any pain MD that will prescribe Methadone for my Hep-C pain/& my spinal stenosis, please share a name & # of the MD with me.
You have to go to a pain control clinic to get a drug like methadone.  Most doctors don't want to prescribe it because of methadone clinics and because of the stigma that methadone carries.  To be honest with you, you would have an easier time getting morphine or any opiate type drug before they give you methadone.  good luck
i also have hep c and have been in your spot. yes it will go away. it also prob swollen. when my liver swells from takin pain meds that aggravate the liver it will stay swollen for a couple days. this itself is very painful. but take it easy and chill out a bit on the dope. things will go down and wont be so painfull the the more beans ya do the more your gunna hurt.
10356 commented on VICourageous's status
Jul 24
Dee1956, and 10356 commented on 10356's status
Jul 24
mike716 SVR May, 2015 (Sovaldi+Olys... Comment
Jul 23
Track your weight over time