Hepatitis C Community
Liver friendly diet?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver friendly diet?

What constitutes a liver friendly diet? I was told by a nutritionist:

1. No animal protein (no milk, butter, yogurt, meat, eggs etc)
2. No sugar.
3. 2-3 litres of water a day
4. No nuts (except almonds)
5. No dried fruit.
6. No honey, maple syrup, agava syrup etc.
7. No bananas
8. Fruit and veg of course and non-animal protein containing foods.
9. TCM says liver should be kept cool and wet and one should eat warm food in winter. So no raw fruit but stewed fruit. No food from freezer in winter.
10. As I understand it coffee is deemed heating for the liver, it also dehydrates the body etc so I'm surprised to hear it being recommended for the liver. One coffee a day is enough for me :-)

I know on tx it is a different story with the fat required etc but I was just wondering. Is this GENERALLY what people follow?
What is considered liver friendly is relative to the condition of your liver.
A healthy liver can eat anything.

Generally speaking, think of the liver as a filter. Therefore keeping it free of pesticides, additives etc, is more important than these guidelines.
You want a healthy liver? Eat organic, fresh food, exercise daily and stay away from noxious fumes or an over consumption of iron.
And obviously alcohol is hard for your liver.

My guess is no, this is not what people follow but all I can say for certain, is no, its not what I eat.
I eat all things in moderation, and coffee in excess:)
Usually, no alcohol is the fist thing I see when it comes to stuff like this. It's possible this list is tapered solely for you and with the aim of not stressing your liver. As opposed to all those cleanse & detox suggestions (which I admit I know zero about).

I'm not into animal proteins, dried fruits, sugars or nuts so I am with you on those; only I am not sure I quite follow the bit about keeping the liver cool & wet.
What is left to eat?
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/easyfacts/e_diet.pdf

They suggest fresh fruits and vegetable, chicken, fish and lean meat along with whole grains.

Did you know the Chinese taboo against uncooked vegetables has to do with the habit of using fresh manure, including human manure, on crops?
If you grow your food in fresh poop, you better cook it well!
Was any rationale provided for this 'diet'?  What sort of nutritionist made these recommendations?

I was told to eat a well balanced diet.  

Your internal body temperature remains relatively constant and does not fluctuate depending on what you eat.  You mean to say that I must keep my liver "warm and wet" and if I thaw a chicken and cook it that will somehow make my liver "cold and dry"?

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Sounds like something one might read on ************.

I've had HCV for (estimated) almost 30 years.  I've eaten a few bananas a week, dried fruit often, I put honey in my tea, a few eggs a week (yes, they are good for you), meat, dairy, everything on that list.

My liver is still F1.  
The ******  would be curezone *******.  Blanked out like a dirty word.  :)
I think your nutritonist is a little extreme. You should eat a well balance diet. I do not thiink it matter if you eat fruit uncook or what temp your food is.  There are different reccomedation if you have cirrousis about the amount of protien you eat
I agree with orphanedhawk I eat everything in moderation, you have to have some pleasure in life!
I've never really stuck to this diet 100% as I love yogurt and I like chicken now and again but I did find that when I veered away too much into the area of dairy products etc I didn't feel so good. Agree on the point that a diet needs to to be tailored to the individual. Thanks for the feedback :-)
Perhaps you are lactose intolerant, then.  All of the things you were told to avoid are good for ya.
Never heard any of this- I do know no alcohol, no nicotine, limit Tylenol and any extra meds -  not sure about the others, I would stick to organic if you can
My nutritionist recommend agave syrup and Fage Greek yogurt among other things. I do eat bananas n frozen blueberries in my oatmeal at least 4 hours before or after RIBA. I was told 60 grams of protein a day. G4/s4 weight 125.
I splurge on home baked goodies w whole foods. Not much dairy. Fish n Asian veggies are a fave.  We all need variety. This is a lifetime diet...I've eaten like this for 25 years cuz I felt better. Really rigid last 1 1/2 years.  Karen :) good luck to all of us making this tasty and liver loving diet work!
Yes pretty sure I am. I can tolerate a bit of milk etc but too much dairy and I feel sluggish. Porridge gives me good energy in the mornings and healthy organic veg dishes like soup give me good energy. It seems like most people eat organic. The terms hot and cool for the liver I've heard both in TCM and Ayrveda but that's a whole other story. My nutritionist gave me a good kick to eat healthier and drink water (I got into the habit of only ordering water in restaurants) but I feel I have a basic idea of what works for me now and it's time to move on.