Hepatitis C Community
On OFF LABEL Sovaldi and Olysio!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

On OFF LABEL Sovaldi and Olysio!

In my 3rd week now and feeling really strong.  Without the nasty Interferon and Ribavarin this time - I have had minimal side effects and I am so very grateful!  My 2 week labs came in today and ALL of them are in normal range... including AST and ALT.  Second month of the meds have been ordered and are now on their way so stay tuned for more updates as we knock out these 12 weeks of treatment.  I truly believe this 3rd attempt to SVR will be the final one as it will be the cure I have needed using these 2 drugs!
I will keep you all posted.
Hugs and God Bless!
Tags: treatment, Cure, off label, hep c, sovaldi, olysio
So glad it's easy going for you!  You've been on this forum for quite a while and I remember you from my time here in 2006/7.  I feel like the third time is the charm for you.  
Cheers, V.
What great news! Happy happy happy for you!! Third time is definitely the charm....You go girl! I've heard it said that people actually feel the virus disappearing. Can you just 'feel' something different?

My script was written a week ago tomorrow. Pharmacy company that handles my benefits looking for that 'last questionnaire' sent to doc....doc says they faxed it over but pharmacy says it's a generic form not the one they sent. Grrr...so I'll be back on phone in am.

Grammy, I remember you saying your doc was prescribing off label for all his patients. Do you have any idea what reasons he is giving to insurance....as in key words or arguments he has to support the off label. Hope that makes sense. So tired and it's been a frustrating day.

Again, so very happy for your success! Can you spell CURED? :)
Im really looking forward to seeing your SVR with these new drugs!  This is astonishing!
I do not know if he is putting all patients on the Sovadi/Olysio combo..... but he is putting ALL of the ones that have tried and failed previous treatments that are 1a or 1b.  He did have to provide a statement that explained how my body could not tolerate Interferon or Ribavarin again and that the side effects were extreme... so this combo would be my best hope for SVR.  

Keep pushing until you get this handled!  The difference between this treatment and my previous ones is night and day.  If this really does work then I would question why ANY doctor would put patients on those drain-o level drugs ever again.  Time will tell on this one for sure.

Do I feel it leaving my body?  Not really, but I do feel very strong and healthy right now.  I take the pills with my evening meal - to bed at 10pm and up again by 5:30am.

I cannot tell all of you how scared I was to take these new drugs after being knocked down with the last go round.  I am so glad that the timing worked out that I was a year out of the last tx when these became available and that my Doctor is so awesome!  My body and mind were strong enough to have a go at it again.

If my story sounds similar to your story then you might consider this off label approach..... no fears!
Dear Grammy I am so very happy to hear that you have been able to get the meds and start the tx.  This is so exciting to hear that your doctor was able to help you.
I am very glad that you are not having the sides as in the past
My best to you!
Dee
I'm glad to hear you are doing well on your treatment drugs.  You know we all are rooting for your success this time!
Hey Mark - how is your treatment doing so far?  Give details please!
Hey!  Believe it or not, I started turning a bit yellow; I went for blood tests yesterday, and my bilirubin has gone up to 6.3!  This is something that was seen in simeprevir studies, and the hope is that it peaks about now (2 weeks into treatment) and will start heading down.  It presents a mini-dilemma, as I am working and have a problem if I am TOO yellow.  Fortunately, I had a chat with my boss before I started treatment, and now that I do have a side-effect, he seems very understanding.
Other than jaundice, all seems to be OK.  My hemoglobin has dropped two points but I am not feeling the ribavirin fatigue just yet.
And that's the details....
Mark
Yellow is the color of sunshine is it not?  Shine through it and as long as you have your strength you can take a little color change.  Better then being green.
I know you will work past this to success!
Its almost too good to be true and definately fantastic news that you are doing so well and with so little (or at least tolerable) sides so far.

I am so glad that there are these new opportunities for treatment.

To continued luck and SVR!

Joanne.
Are you  taking Olysio Sovaldi combo?
YES - in the middle of my 5th week and all is great so far!
So glad you're feeling so good and that it's working for you!  I am waiting for the same off label combo with the pharmacy my doc had sent over.  Also, I had failed the interferon/ribaviron combo with many side effects.  Your progress gives me hope and hopefully soon I'll get approval.
What time of day do most of you take your medicine?  I am wondering if morning or evening would work better.  I am starting on Olysio and Sovaldi this Monday and it's the first time I've ever treated so I'm a bit nervous but it sounds like the results have been awesome!
Yes, I am on the Sovaldi/Sofosbuvir combo with the addition of ribavirin. Am now in my 2nd month.  I've had some adverse effects, though. As mentioned, my bilirubin shot up to 6.3.  Second test was better at 5.1.  But that series of tests also showed some kidney failure - my creatinine was at 1.7. So I am hydrating, hydrating, hydrating for my next set of lab tests next week.

We did reduce the ribavirin from 1000 to 600 ( I start off with a very high hemogobin of 18 (Gilbert's syndrome), so a fall of 4 points to 14, while sounding about normal, is for me quite low.

Saving the best news for last: The good news is that my 4 week virus level was completely undetectable!

Mark
Take my meds after breakfast, same time every day.  Got my 2 week on treatment blood result back last week.  VL down from just under 2 Million IU/ml to 70 IU/ml.  Hoping this treatment will be successful.  Starting out good.  No sides to speak of.
My Dr. said that most people reach UND by 4th week, however some attain it after two weeks on tx.  The only time we will know if med is successful or not is at the EOT (end of tx) bloods.  If UND at 12 weeks after EOT, then he said I can pretty much relax
Thanks ms maddie!  I am going to start tonite - taking my meds with evening meal.  Dr. said it was my choice, either with breakfast or dinner.  Have to say I'm feeling scared and hoping taking them with dinner is the right choice.  Guess I am hoping if there are sides the bulk of them will happen during my sleep!  Hope all continues to go well for you!
I just found this forum and wanted to chime in.
I have hepc genotype 1 and cirrhosis, and have never had treatment before.
Finally saw Dr. Martin and his team at the University of Miami, and after a few months was approved for  Sovaldi and Olysio. Today will be my third day of taking the pills and  I,m both excited and a bit fearfull of it not working.
Crossing my fingers and praying.
Bruce
Hi Bruce, Congrats on starting the Sovaldi/Olysio.  I started it in mid-January and reached UND at the 4 week blood draw.  So thrilled!

BTW the Dr. Martin you speak of, is his first name Paul?  If so, I saw him in Mt. Sinai in NYC back in 2005.  Nice guy.
I knew Dr. Paul Martin when he was here at Mount Sinai. Yes, a good liver doctor, since moved on to Miami Beach.

Maddie, glad you're doing well.  Bruce, good luck on this combo!
I'm about 6 weeks into this now (also taking ribavirin),  

Mark
Thanks for the good wishes, Mark.  I truly hope we reach our goal of svr.
Does everyone here have to get a blood draw weekly for the first 4 weeks? And is it just the CBC with Differential ones?  I had my one week blood draw (CBC w/diff) yesterday and don't have the Hepatic Function Panel, Creatinie Serum and Hepatitis C Quant RNA PCR ones drawn again until week 4.  I'm a first timer treating with Olysio & Sovaldi.  I have to say I am already feeling stronger and not experiencing any sides to speak of.  My platelets jumped from the low 70's to the upper 90's in just one week and I'm attributing that to the meds - correct?  Thanks for any input!!
I had just the standard CBC at 2 weeks, then at 4 weeks CBC with RNA to ck viral load (which was undetected) then will have another CBC at 8 weeks then another CBC with RNA at completion of the 12 weeks........ THEN 12 weeks AFTER the end of treatment the important CBC with RNA to see if I can be declared CURED!  Which by the way---- I will be!!
I start the Solvadi/Olysio combo treatment in 2 weeks. I live in a very remote village in Alaska, we have no hospital or lab. My doc will do my blood draws  and then fly them out on small plane to lab in Anchorage, weather permitting. Can anyone give me advice on when to take the pills. With/without food? A.M. or P.M? Together? I just turned 65 and Medicare Part D approved it after the usual back and forth but my co-pay is over $13,000. Family and friends and my credit card are making this work. Lots of prayers too.
Did you go to the 2 websites for these drugs and get THEIR OWN discount card????  Please check into this as an option before paying that big co-pay!  The discount cards are FREE!!!  -AND might make a huge difference.  Also, you might qualify for one of the drug companies assistance program too.... please check all this out.

I take my pills with my lunch everyday as they want it with food and they can be taken together.  ZERO side effects!
Good luck to you!
I would suggest taking the pills at whichever meal you eat regularly at the same time each day.  I started taking mine with dinner and it probably wasn't the best idea, but I was worried about sides and didn't want them during the day if they happened.  Luckily no sides thus far!!  

I agree with GrammyA - check out pharmacy discount cards and ask the actual pharmaceutical company for financial help with these meds. Between both discounts I am only paying $30 a month in copays.  Ask your doctor if he can point you in the right direction for help with this.
So exciting to see more and more people on the 2 pill tx. After watching my husband go thru interferon treatments twice with nightmarish effects, too many to list.
These new drugs are amazing, with many more combinations coming for all the different types of HCV suffers!
This is Huge sort of like Penicillin was...Millions more like Billions of people will be undetected!
Now if we could just get the Ins.Co.on board before its too late for some of us.
Its been along hard fought battle but we will keep on. I've enjoy watching you all in your battle to be Cured....
This will be my third try at treatment. I'm going to start next week  Monday. I'm interferon intolerant. Numbers went down with Boceprevir then when back up. All sounds good from comments so far!
Thank you!  I was denied financial assistance from the drug companies because they said you don't qualify if you have Medicare Part D.
Thank you!
I'm starting it on March 12th and it's my first ever treatment too. Also feeling a bit nervous but very hopeful!
Starting Sovaldi/Olysio treatment March 12th. Can anyone tell me what the lab protocol is? How often will I need bloodwork? We don't have a lab in this little Alaskan village so blood has to be flown out by small plane to Juneau or Anchorage. Very pricey, also when the weather is bad, the plane can't fly.
Sovaldi, riba and peg. 10 weeks in and i still have all the side effects, including stomache pains, don't know if this is a side effect?
Thanks for any help to my questions.
jj
This is my 9th treatment and after a near death experience with Vic/RIBA/interferon this treatment just seems to easy to be true. I just completed week 1 with Sovaldi and Olysio I felt a little more fatigue and had a headache yesterday but big deal. I hope it works. Good Luck to all of us on this promising treatment.
The pharmacy called today to set up my next rx shipment and after answering their questions I mentioned that I wished I had started taking my meds with breakfast instead of dinner and they put the Pharmacist on the phone.  She said that I since I took my last pills at 6:30 PM last night I could take my meds with lunch today and then with breakfast tomorrow and just continue taking them at the same time each morning from there on out.  Has any one else changed their med taking schedule?
HI-just started this past week with sovaldi-olysi-started 2-26   first bloodwork 3/12   2nd is 3/26  3rd is week 8,4/23  4th is week 12,may 21   3 months after TX  8/21    Nothing to fear,this stuff is a piece of cake compared to anything you did before so don't be nervous,be excited-
                        Good Luck    Glen
P.S  There has never been a bad golden,they are the best
I have changed.  I did as your pharmacist suggested: changed  by a few hours over a couple of days.  Seems fine so far: remain und. at week 5

Mark
Going into week 7 Solv/Ribv.      Just had labs done at 6 weeks.    Still undt, no side effects to mention.   Done April 4th.   Watching hmg which at 4 weeks was 11.2 and 6 weeks 11.     Supposed to steady out after 4 weeks.     Enzymes low 20s, Bili 1.1.     RBC a little low.      This is the 1st time all my Meld #s were in the normal range.    Sounds like everyone is doing really well with this new treatment.     Hope all of us can remain virus free and others can start treatment soon.         Kim
Thanks for your encouragement and information Glen. And you're right, nothing like a Golden!
I'm confused. Getting ready to start treatment with Sovaldi/Olysio. What are the pros and cons of taking the meds with breakfast vs with dinner. I see some of you have started one way and then changed but not clear why?
I started off taking my meds with dinner because I thought there would be side effects to deal with and would rather have that in the evening while at home but I haven't experienced any sides to speak of so I talked to my pharmacist and switched to breakfast because that is a meal that I eat at approximately the same time every day (cereal is easy!).  Taking the pills first thing in the morning with breakfast gets it off my mind for the rest of the day. I set the alarm on my cell phone just as a daily reminder too. I think when you take them is just a personal thing and you need to pick when it will be easiest for you to remember and to eat because eating with the pills is important.  I am on Day 14 of taking these meds and I have to say I feel better every day!
Thank you for the suggestion. Glad to hear you're feeling better every day. Good luck!
Great news that you are still und and that your labwork shows all in normal range. Can you let us know how your Hgb has been over the six weeks?
UPDATE on this ole' Grammy!  I have 32 more days on these 2 little miracle pills and I feel so great!  Not kidding when I tell you - ZERO negative and 100% positive effects on my body.  If this treatment of just Sovaldi and Olysio really does succeed I will be preaching loudly for others to get going on the same program ASAP!  My labs are all staying perfectly normal and virus is undetected, what else could I ask for?  Oh yea, maybe no side effects from drano-level riba and interferon NOT going into my body is certainly a wonderful difference too.
I am so excited to see the TONS of commercials now on T.V. about drugs to cure HepC and encouraging people to get on treatment NOW!  Yes, they are paid for by Gilead but great job for them getting the word out that cures might just be possible!
Very happy I survived the first 2 treatments to see this one come my way.
Hang in there everyone and talk to your doctors sooner rather than later about starting treatment.
So happy for you! You're my inspiration and motivation!
Wishing you continued success!
Wonderful to hear!

Nan
Haha. World's best HCV cure and everyone is worried about which meal to take them with. oi vay! Give them to me, you should be so lucky. :)

I have specialist appointment March 13 and going to ask for Sovaldi Olysio whatever combination. However, I am treatment naive and on Government health insurance.
Fantastic news GrammyA

Hoping I get to join the SVR team someday. Still waiting to hear if I can get Sovaldi/Olysio combo

Week 3 today waiting to exhale (holding my breath lol)

Lynn
Good luck to both of you, hope you both get approved.   Kitty
Just received our 2nd Denial from Blue Shield. Reason:Combination of Solvadi/Olysio together hasn't passed phase 3 therefore not enough proved results. But he DOES qualify for each drug separately!! What a nightmare. He's  been thru two clinical studies with rib & interferon, non responsive, with lasting horrible symptoms. He is 1b w cirrhosis, ascites, encephalopathy (brain fog), Varices banded. This housewife is becoming bitter. Would love any advice!! Congrats to all who are enjoying the new TX!
You have my sympathies for all you both have gone through and are going through. My husband and I have been through alot as well.

Your husband has all the symptoms of decompensated cirrhosis or end stage liver disease. My husband had end stage liver disease when he tried triple treatment with Incivik.  He had to stop after 5 weeks because he became severely anemic from the combo of the interferon/ribavirin.  He went into kidney failure and thanks to a great nephrologist who treated him regained most of his kidney function.  The point I'm trying to make here is interferon based treatment is very hard on someone with ESLD like your husband.

Is he being treated by a hepatologist at a transplant center? I assume he is.
If by chance he is not, that should be your next steps. All the conditions he has are potentially life threatening.  

You will find a lot of support here and information. I am sure more will come along to give you great advice.

My husband is now post transplant with cirrhosis of the new liver. He is  interferon ineligible so they have started him on sovaldi/ribavirin for 24 weeks.
Perhaps this option will be available to your husband. Only a good hepatologist at transplant center who knows your husband's full medical condition can make that decision.

I wish you  and your husband the very best.

Nan
Help, I went through incivik, Pegasus, ribiveron , almost killed me. I was undetectable after the 4th week. Doctor said I responded so fast that i could get off the incivik cocktail at 24 weeks.  I had my SVR done 4 months later and the virus was back with viral load 1mil 500. The doctor put me back on the incivik cocktail. I told Doctor I wanted solvadi . Can I go directly on solvadi even though I started incivik. Why would the Doctor put me back on a treatment that didn't work?
I strongly suggest you get a second opinion - fast!
Just started the Sovaldi, Olysio therapy yesterday, no Ribavirin.  Really strange, for me it feels like your body is the HCV host and it's food source has been immediately and fully cut off.   Didn't sleep well last night but plan to work today.  Look forward to reading about others reactions, changes, and improvement after SVR.
Congrats - and expect NO problems as you feel your body getting stronger week by week!  No worries.... relax and breathe!
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  I think it gives people a lot of hope.  I have also been seeing the commercials.

NOHOW - Please post your question at the top of the page.  Something is seriously wrong.  You can't take Incivek twice.  I am not a doctor just a fellow patient.
Please get thee to a hepatologist.
If you post your question you will receive a lot of support.
Good morning. I am devastated with your news. I'm in the process of my second appeal so can certainly emphasize.
After being denied twice, I asked my doc for all copies of everything submitted between him and the ins co. After review I contacted my Health Advocate. They stressed to me the importance of 1. Each form must be submitted for each appeal...just because it was sent previous they do not go back to previous 'packets'. 2. The letter of necessity written by your doc is key! It needs to address the reasons why you can't treat with 'approved' drugs. Any research attached...and this is critical because we have to provide them the most up to date recommendations....must be referenced in the letter even if the trial/study/etc is attached.
The following has been updated as of 2/13/2014 and will be part of what I will be submitting...don't give up! Once you've exhausted all requests from the ins co. Gilead has a program to help so use them as a last resort. Best of Luck!

The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD), the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), and the International Antiviral Society-USA (IAS-USA) this week announced the first new hepatitis C treatment guidelines that include next-generation direct-acting antiviral agents recently approved by the FDA. The guidance is available on a new website, HCVguidelines.org, that will enable frequent updates to reflect emerging data.

"It is important to keep in mind that FDA only will approve drugs that have gone through rigorous testing," said IAS-USA panel co-chair Michael Saag from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "We cannot run a Phase 3 trial on every possible [drug] combination or every possible patient population. The website allows experts in the field to look at the emerging data and craft what we feel the evidence supports, [which] may fall short of what is specifically in an FDA-approved package insert."

"For genotype 1 patients who cannot take interferon, the panel recommends sofosbuvir plus the HCV protease inhibitor simeprevir (Olysio), with or without ribavirin, again for 12 weeks. This off-label regimen has not been through full Phase 3 testing, but performed very well in the Phase 2 COSMOS trial.
An alternative for this group is sofosbuvir plus ribavirin for 24 weeks, though the panel noted that it is not as effective as sofosbuvir plus simeprevir, especially for patients with liver cirrhosis."
When you go to the link Groupergetter provided Pharmacy  Hepatitis C Drug Therapy

Here are the questions for Sovaldi and Olysio together use

5. Is the request for combination therapy Sovaldi and Olysio with or without ribavirin? If yes, go to question #45.

45. Is the request for Sovaldi + pegylated interferon alfa + ribavirin in those with compensated HCV Genotype 4 or 5? If yes, approve for 12 weeks.If no, go to question #46.

46. Is the request for Sovaldi and Olysio with or without ribavirin in those with compensated HCV Genotype 1 (including those with HIV-1 co-infection or treatment naïve with liver transplant)? If yes, go to question #47. If no, does not meet criteria for medical necessity.

47. Is the request for those who are treatment naïve or prior relapse who are interferon ineligible as defined by the following? a. Intolerance to interferon
b. Autoimmune hepatitis and other autoimmune disorders c. Hypersensitivity to pegylated interferon or any of its components d. Decompensated hepatic disease e. History of depression, or clinical features consistent with depression f. A baseline neutrophil count below 1500/μL, a baseline platelet count below 90,000/μL or baseline hemoglobin below 10 g/dL g. History of preexisting cardiac disease If yes, go to question #50.If no, go to question #48.

48. Is the request for prior peginterferon and ribavirin non responder (including those with HIV-1 co-infection)? If yes, go to question #50. If no, go to question #49.

49. Is the request for those with liver transplant where there is documentation of recurrent histologic disease post liver transplantation and the HCV antiviral therapy is performed under the supervision of a physician experienced in transplantation? If yes, go to question #50. If no, does not meet medical necessity criteria.

50. Will Olysio and Sovaldi be prescribed together as part of a combined treatment regimen with or without ribavirin? If yes, go to question #51. If no, does not meet medical necessity criteria.

51. Olysio and Sovaldi are not prescribed in combination with Victrelis or Incivek? If yes, go to question #52. If no, does not meet medical necessity criteria.

52. Olysio and Sovaldi therapy is not prescribed in those with prior treatment with an NS3/4A protease inhibitor Incivek or Victrelis? If yes, go to question #53.If no, does not meet medical necessity criteria.

53. There is no co-infection of hepatitis B virus? If yes, go to question #54. If no, medical necessity criteria not met.

54. Is there no severe renal impairment or end stage renal disease defined by estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR) < 30 ml/min/1.73m2? If yes, go to question #55.If no, medical necessity criteria not met.

55. Will the dosage of Olysio not exceed 150 mg per day and the dosage of Sovaldi does not exceed 400 mg per day? If yes, go to question #56.If no, medical necessity criteria not met.

56. Is the treatment regimen is consistent with the following: Olysio + Sovaldi ± Ribavirin? If yes, approve for 12 weeks (liver transplant 12 to 24 weeks.
It can be done! I'm 1a, treatment naive and was approved by Medicare for Olysio/Sovaldi treatment. I start on March 12th. My doctor wrote a letter saying this was the preferred treatment because of the lack of severe side effects. And you're right, us worrying about which meal to take it with does seem trivial!! Good luck with getting approval.
I see that MH removed the your comment with the blue cross link you posted that I used to reply with the Sovaldi and Olysio together use questions . After visiting that link.  Microsoft Security Essentials keeps detecting  Virus:VBS/Ramnit.B in my Google chrome cache

Virus:VBS/Ramnit.B is a detection for VBScript appended to HTML document files by Virus:Win32/Ramnit.B. When the infected HTML document is opened, it drops a copy of Worm:Win32/Ramnit.A and runs it.
Thanks JimmyMose, I copied the URL from the BC/BS website so I wouldn't expect it to contain a virus?  I appreciate you sharing the information.  I know from experience it is imperative that the practitioner or person requesting the PA for the patient have a thorough understanding of the specific criteria the insurance company is looking for to approve.  Short of that it is usually a no go.  Insurance companies make this information available, but sometimes one has to dig to find it.  With the cost of the meds it seems many companies are looking for a way to deny.  If larger samples show SVR %'s high, approval will become more commonplace and hopefully much quicker.    
Wishing you best of luck and a successful course of treatment.  After all of the horror stories about treatment side effects with other treatments for this disease,  it is a blessing to have the minor worry of which meal to take our meds with and hope for a cure.
Man, all those questions from the blue cross site, they are a total mind-boggle!

Is it even possible to answer them? Has anyone succeeded in doing so?

I can't make heads or tails of them.

Is it the questions, or is HCV-induced brain fog finally getting me?

Uy, oi, aiii!

Mike
I saw Dr. Paul Martin also at the University of Miami. Dr. Martin is great.  
I'm getting my Olysio/Sovaldi pills tomorrow!  I've been waiting since my unsuccessful treatment with the interferon/ribavirin 3 yrs ago.  
I am very excited to start.  
Best of luck to you. May we get to SVR soon!

Sljl

What an optimist.  Yellow is the color of sunshine?  A delightful bit of humor is always a good thing.  I read your posts and wish you all the best.
Oops.  I believe my post just now to GrammyA was supposed to go to you, NYCMark.  Sorry.
Right there with you.
I think i did say correctly that you made the comment about the sunshine.  Can we say "brain fog"?  I was looking for the post from a woman concerned about her young children and living long enough to see them grow up.  I could relate.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Hi Jimmy, thank you for proving the questions that this insurance company (and probably others) use to determine if patients are "eligible" for the off label Sovaldi and Olysio. I had to read it slowly to digest after a few cups of coffee! My husband's doc put him on Sovaldi + pegylated interferon alfa + ribavirin. I was hoping we could get the off label combo, but it did not happen. He is on day 16 now.
I just read your post. As Dee suggested you need to to start a new thread by posting a new question. But I feel the need to respond here in case you don't start a new thread.

Unless things have changed since my husband tried triple treatment with Incivik back in 2011, we were told that once you stop taking Incivik, you can not go back on it because of resistance issues.

Given the new treatments that are now available that have fewer side effects and high cure rates, I really don't understand why your doctor would even consider that as a possibility.

I think you need a new doctor, preferable a hepatologist, asap!

Best of luck to you.
Nan
Well that is amazing since I also began today. I took both pills after lunch and was ready for anything but all I got was tired. So now I am going to bed and cant wait to take the pills tomorrow after breakfast. Reading all of these comments seems really good shot we can beat this thing
I am treating with the greatest Dr. Pokros at Scripps in La Jolla, California. My regimen is blood draws and week 2, 4, 8 and 12 with the hope that you clear by week 4. If you do very high chance of cure. That is how he is doing it with me. Hope this helps.
I am SO excited to receive my first med combo of Sovaldi and Olysio on Friday. I wanted to say something sooner but I was afraid that I would jinx it somehow, especially since my latest labs continued to improve and my MELD score went down from 12 to 9. But it's real. I am starting treatment and so encouraged by all the good news posted here. I should mention that I am cirrhotic as well so, even though I have a low MELD score, I have other symptoms that show advanced liver disease - aceites and edema and lots of fatigue and peripheral neuropathy that keeps me in constant pain. I was told by my docs that I am part of a group of between 20 - 25 people in the country who are part of this trial. I just can't believe my good fortune!  Since it is a trial, my meds are paid for except for a small co-pay. I would not be in this position if it were not for the information, knowledge, encouragement and inspiration that I received from the people in this support group and my face to face group that I connected to  through this site. For those who were the true crash test dummies of experimental treatment, everyone here thanks you and for those who did not make it, my heart goes out to your friends and families who shared their experiences and suffering and made it more expedient to come up with viable alternatives to treat this insidious disease
Congrats hepcandme, I hope and pray this works for all of us.  Please keep us posted on your improvement.  My first blood work will be drawn Monday(2 weeks from start).  I will share results later in the week.  I know it sound improbable but I am seeing improvement in just 10 days on this regimen.   Headaches and insomnia, and a bit of fatigue at times.  Nothing compared to the Interferon/riba treatment.  

Wishing you the best, SVR, and new found health.
Thanks JimmymMose for posting the BC/BS criteria for the Sovaldi/Olysio combo.  I found it easier to interpret if you start with the last question and read up.
Waiting for insurance approval. Should be starting Sovaldi and olysio  in about 2-4 weeks.. Reading all the comments I feel pretty good about going on this treatment after 2 prior failed treatments of which were interferon, ribaviiron, then Infergen:  then incevik, ribavirin and interferon;). Not good times!
As a 1A non responder I truly hope this works this
I do so appreciate any comments, thoughts, ideas, suggestions
Thank you
this is wonderful Granny so thankful this is working . May God bless u and stay strong . Keep the up dates up .
bbj
I so hope for your continued success and lack of problems and to reach SVR

I too am a 1A non responder and you have given me hope.
Now all I have to do is hang in there for a few more years while the VA gets their act together
Took my first Sovaldi Olysio little over an hour ago. So far I don't feel any side effects.

I hope the virus is feeling it instead of me this time!

Good luck to all
Lynn
Best wishes Lynn for a successful treatment. It's a piece of cake!! I'm on day 12 and so far only headache and fatigue but it's manageable. We are so lucky to have this opportunity!
Wishing you the best!  Hoping I get my insurance approval and start soon..they say third times the charm and I am so hoping!
I just started the sovalei/olysio treatment yesterday. The first day was fine but I have an issue with ascites (fluid buildup) which seems to have become a little worse the second day.  My Dr. did say my liver may get worse during the first week before it gets better.  Did you have any issues like that during the first week?
I failed previous treaments and am afraid to start anything until I know ALL the facts. I'm concerne that if I am one of the few that fail Olysio/solvaldi then what can I do next? will the virus mutate and become a supervirus? if I knew that I had options after this...an affirmation that I could have option to treat with Abbievie or the newer ones coming...I will jump on the combo now. Heard such good things about it.
I'm awaiting BCBSTX approval of Sovaldi + Ribi. Glad to hear you've had few sides. I should hear on approval in a week and then they said it'll take 2 weeks to get the meds. Good luck, I hope my sides are minor too.
Hi.    Hope everyone has smooth sailing.   Seems as tho most treatments have some sides vs mild to severe.     We are all so lucky to be able to take these meds more short term than in the past.    Whatever genotypes we may have, let's keep our eye on the prize and hope HepC becomes a disease of the past.             Kim
Hi Hithy! I had the same question. My hep doc said that I could retreat with Sovaldi/Ledi combo if Sovaldi/Olysio plus I found this...

About the ION Studies....Sovaldi/Ledi

"The Phase 3 ION studies are randomized, open-label Phase 3 clinical trials evaluating the efficacy and safety of a once-daily fixed-dose combination of SOF/LDV for 8, 12 or 24 weeks, with and without RBV, among 1,952 genotype 1 HCV patients. The studies included patients who were treatment-naïve or who had ***failed previous treatment, including protease inhibitor-based regimens.*** The primary endpoint for each study was SVR12. Complete results from all three studies will be presented at a future scientific conference.

The ION-2 study evaluated 440 treatment-experienced genotype 1 HCV patients who had failed past therapy with regimens containing Peg-IFN (including Peg-IFN ***plus a protease inhibitor***). Patients received SOF/LDV with or without RBV for 12 or 24 weeks."

Hope this helps!
Congrats to you. Day 6 for me and I'm feeling more energy but will not do labs for another week.  I'm thankful as well.  Continued 'blessing' for each trying to eradicate this beast.  More to follow as I get results.
Finished my first week of Sovaldi.Olysio treatment today

My labs show: The liver enzymes are already improving. AST was 70, now 47, ALT was 37, now 29.

This is actually the best results that I have had since I have been monitoring my liver enzyme levels twenty years ago!

They will check the viral load on April 2, 2014. Guess it's to soon to check after one week?

The alkaline phosphatase is 250, but it has been elevated for a long time-prior to treatment and docs have not been able to explain why this is but I plan to do some research and appreciate any input from my friends here

I must say that I am definitely feeling better too. More energy, way more hope of being cured
Iam new to this forum and and find the comments interesting. It is nice to see everyone confiding in and encouraging each other. I have hpC 1b with
(IL23b tt) genome. I have treated with pegasys and ribo but had no success.
I started the olysio & sofusbuvir combo today. No sides as of yet.
Sure hope this is the answer.

Good luck to all.
Hi hangin

I am a 3 time null responder last was per riba for me. GR 1a with cirrhosis. One week today on Solvaldi Olysio.

Good luck on your treatment!
Lynn
Hope you see the results so many are finding on these meds.  My viral load was down from 1,68 million to 233 after two weeks treatment.  Will have my second labs drawn tomorrow.  Hoping and praying to see my platelet count up and by bilirubin down.  

Get ready for some good #'s Lynn, you are gonna be a happy camper :)

Thanks GrammyA for starting this thread.  Lot's of positive results being seen and shared.
You are welcome Groupergetter,
Great time for a quick update on my progress.  Tomorrow I will have exactly 1 week of meds left to take!!  They will pull labs on that date then again in 12 weeks post to determine if I have SVR results.  I fully expect that to happen and I will tell you why.  Since 2 weeks into these wonder drugs I have been UND, with lots of energy, extremely normal labs all the way around including ALT and AST,  all the nerve and joint issues I developed from the last treatment with that poison called Incivek/Riba/Interferon are NOW back to painless and normal, my gums have stopped bleeding with daily brushing and flossing for the first time in 30 years.  I am so very grateful for the drugs and the hope it may bring to the table.  I still have a cirrhotic liver so every 6 months they will MRI or Ultrasound me to make sure the cancer cells are not forming..... BUT to know that the disease might be completely gone is unreal to me!  I believe I will live to a ripe older age and die from something else.  I wish the same for all of you - enough is enough!
Exciting! So happy to hear of your continued success with this tx...you are my role model! One more week eh?  I'll take my 7th dose tonight...so I'm one week in. :)
Congratulations!
Glad to hear about your success.

Good Luck!
Hello lynn thanks for the response.

Second day of meds-sovaldi and olysio. slight head ache and nausea, seems to come and go. Not bad though, I havent the need to take anything to quell them. If this is the wrst I welcome them compared to feron.

Scheduled for blood wk in three wks.
So happy to hear your good news!  I am still waiting for my approval. Hope to start soon!  You are giving me hope that my 3rd time will be successful.  I too have cirrhosis. I plan to watch my 21 month old granddaughter grow up and not let this awful virus stop me.
Keep posting, it gives hope.
I am on FEP Blue Cross and they approved combo therapy after single letter and appeal,
Hi All

Just got a verbal on my 1st week labs all we did was CBC and liver function profile but soooo excited!!!!!

My platelet count that has been floating between 80 to 90 was 110 !!!!
Everything else was about the same but I havent seen a platelet count above 90 something for 3 or 4 years!

Take that you 2 million/mL little tiny dragons!

Lynn
Me to, am at week 7, (5 more to go, )

only insomnia  a few times( 4 or 5)

First two weeks was completely asleep, now every other day tired

Only a few headaches, overall not bad

Nausea a few times ( ginger ale)

Have other issues, auto immune, primary Bilary cirrhosis and hypothyroid, not sure what's what, hep C for 43 years

Praying this is the cure!
I believe that it will work for you, I am feeling optimistic these days with the new treatments that have come out.  I just saw my Hep Doc and he was almost giddy about these new treatments.  It really speaks volumes when your Doc acts this optimistic.  I will see him again on the 2nd.  Probably start therapy again with the new treatments as well. I was a non-responder with the other treatment and yes it was grueling as I worked the entire time.
Hang in there and you WILL be cured.
I am 30 months post transplant and 9 weeks into Cosmos combo. Treatment naive and gen 1b. 2 week draw revealed undetectable,alt ast down from the 300 range down to 50 range. Bili which was never high remained at .8. All other results were normal except platelets were normal range. Platelets remained in the 90-115 range. No side effects and latest draw week 8 still shows undet. My Dr who is a renowned SF heptologist and researcher has now asked for a qualitative RNA test instead of the less sensitive quantitative test to verify I'm free of this insidious monster.
NO SIDE EFFECTS! This comb really works.
Got my 4 week labs back, actually 25 days as my doctor had scheduled an appointment.  Was 1 above UND  :)  which I confirmed with my doc. Platelets are rising which is good.  ALT, AST and other #'s within range and stable, but some still need improvement.  

Thankful to be on this regimen. Praying every day is one closer to SVR, less fatigue, and the fog being lifted.  Still have occasional headaches, and continue to work.  Overall, the sx are not too bad.  Hoping all here have new found health and are cured of this virus.
Today is day 40 of sovaldi-olysio.As a 59 year old geno 1a lifetime non responder I finally found something that works.Negative and everything getting back into normal range with the exception of platelets which have gone up slightly.I would just like to know if anybody who is at least 4 weeks into this treatment is coughing.I started the coughing at 4 weeks and it is still there.I am a non smoker but I work in a smokey environment and was wondering if the cough was work related or from the treatment.
                                                Glen
I have had a runny nose, cold like allergy symptoms since I started olysio and Sovaldi , I have gone threw thousands of tissues

I am done with eight weeks,(four to go on it)

also UND, normal almost all labs although platelets have not gone up, and bilirubin slightly elevated

I read a Japanese Sovaldi and RIBA study had listed rhino something long as a side effect, I looked it up and it meant, runny nose, sore throat cough thing

So that may be it!
I caught a cold at week 3. Coughed like a fiend at night for a week even with a codeine laced cough syrup. I am now in week 9 an haven't coughed since week 4. I'm a 65 year old geno 1b transplant recipient. All my labs look good.
rhino? I heard that before but usually spelled rino  Republicans In Name Only - pressured by tea party to not sign on to expanded medicaid in some states.:-)

Maybe Japanese short for Rhinitis

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/allergic-rhinitis-overview

My guesses
Possible temporary immune increased hypersensitivity during treatment.
This may help-
clean your house often to get rid of dust, animal dander, or molds. Or you may need to stay indoors when pollen counts are high. (it's spring time)

"caught a cold" hopefully doesn't last long.  Remember to be vigilant about always washing hands before touching food, face etc.  Avoid if possible in humid environments where exposure to viruses that float in the air in little respiratory droplets are increased.

Talk to your doctor about medications that can be used during treatment if necessary.

If you really can't take it anymore I wonder how being put in a medical induced coma, being fed and medicated with the treatment drugs until tx end would work?  Just think of it as a 84 days long dental sedation visit.  ;-)  

Good luck to all minimising those annoying symptoms.
Let's leave political comments out of these discussions please. We need one place where politics don't enter.
I'm having second thoughts on my previous humor comment.  I realize that some are having a very difficult time with treatment with even emergency room  icu events.  If anyone feels offended or unsettled by my try at humor please report to MH for deletion.
I'm sorry, My mistake and I reported it

I was composing my last comment and didn't see your reply until posted
GP, fortunately haven't had the cold, cough, or other allergic reactions.  Hoping this doesn't start for me.  As Jimmy said, frequent hand washing is important.  I am caregiver for my elderly mother when not working, and have to disinfect the bathrooms and other areas of the house routinely. If you use a CPAP make sure to clean and disinfect it on a regular basis.

What do HCV and Sovaldi have in common?    Nothing  :)
In Study GS-US-334-0118, 153 patients (100 per cent) became HCV undetectable by treatment Week 4 and remained undetectable through the remainder of the 12-week treatment period. Post-treatment relapse accounted for five virologic failures. There were no treatment discontinuations due to adverse events and all patients completed the 12 week post-treatment follow-up visit. The most common side effects observed in the study, consistent with the population and safety profile of RBV, included nasopharyngitis, anaemia, headache, malaise and pruritis. Full study results will be presented at a future scientific meeting.

Please note the side effect "NASOPHARYNGITIS"

That's what I meant by rino confusing it with like pregnancy rhinosinusitis

But I was too lazy to the time to paste the article, but here is the link
http://www.pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=81213&sid=2

It was the first time  I saw basically the runny nose as a side effect  of Sovaldi , and was comforted to know it as it had plagued me from the Bennington of tx with olysio and Sovaldi

A small price to pay to be UND in 4 weeks, after 43 years of the disease

Oh and by the way I am a  Democrat!!!
Misspelled beginning of tx, in previous post

Also retread and it said RIBA caused  " nasopharyngitis"
But
I am not taking RIBA
And another friend also taking S+ O no RIBA has theses side effects too

ONLY they are for me and her so minor I have never mentioned till now
Cause I do not care if I have a runny nose if I clear this disease

All my sides are live able (in order of intensity: Fatigue/ mild insomnia /  - and in 8 weeks only 3 or 4 headaches and same for nausea ) these are wonder drugs with minimal sides, and feel blessed to be on them
Not discouraging anyone , just explaining a possible reason for his cough
Post nasal drip too, but obviously an md should check it out
Thank you all for your advice.My cough is not cold related.I have no cold symptoms.I did have a cough on my previous treatments with the riba and peg and again with the incivek,riba and peg.I thought this might be a commom side effect that I might not have with the sovaldi-olysio but apparently I don't see other people having this problem.Its probably what I feared it was,38 years of breathing in 2nd hand casino smoke.
Drano.  That's a perfect description of interferon and Ribavirin.  Besides those two, the only other thing I ever tried was the Infergen and Ribavirin, and promptly developed retinal hemorrhaging by week 9, had to be taken off of it.
Man, it appears that I have struck gold with this site. I have an appointment on May 29 to see Dr. Martin at the University of Miami's department of Hepatology and I can't wait. I have never been treated with pharmaceuticals but I've tried many so-called natural cures and all have failed. I even tried blood irradiation therapy 12 times! My only worry is that I have BCBS insurance some of the stories I've heard are not encouraging. I've had 2 biopsies in the past 11 years -- one in 2003 and one in Feb. of this year and my results were the same stage 1 with no cirrhosis or fibrosis, so I guess that herbal and other natural treatments can retard the progression of the disease but definitely not cure it. I feel terrible most of the time. The virus seems to have cyclic patterns that nearly debilitate me when they come on. I usually have 1 or 2 days a month where the virus lets up a little and I feel okay. I hoping and praying that if I can get this new drug combo that it will slay the dragon so that I can feel good nearly everyday like most people that I know.
think I posted question to wrong person--my question regarding cost--13,000 fwith madicare part d??  I have medicare part d --aarp medicare rx preferred (PDP)  is that what you have?? thanks for any info   Sharon
In regard to the coughing I found Claritan to be my life saver.    It's usually caused by a post nasal drip.     Do check with your doc tho as we all have different situations and treatments.          Kim
Yes, I have Medicare Part D through AARP which is United Healthcare. My copays were estimated to be about $13,000 but I just ordered my last 30 days of meds and the total copays for all 90 days turns out to be closer to $10,000. It's still a lot of debt for me to carrry but at my 4 week labs tests for viral load, the virus was undetectable!!! You can't put a price on that!! I just feel so blessed to have been approved, so many insurance companies are denying treatment. Good luck on your journey to the Cure!!
hello grammy- so glad i found this thread. looks like after 2 failed SOC,
this G1-b is getting sofo/oly for 12 weeks to start soon. i got my pharmacy card and now waiting for them to call me! i am soooo excited about getting clear from this monster that has plagued me most of my life. it is very encouraging to read the comments on this page and i hope to keep in close touch with you as i go thru my tx. i have not been on here for a while, but been a member for years!
happy happy to hear of the UND and the SVR and the renewed lives!
yes!!!
jerialice
Hello to all...awesome to have found this site. I just started the Sovadi/Olysio combo yesterday. My gastro argued successfully for this treatment with my insurance company. I am his first patient on this treatment. My co-pay is only 5.00 per bottle with refills every month for 3 months. I feel very, very fortunate and encourage all who are fighting for this treatment to stay hopeful and not give up. I have been infected for 25-30 years, 1a, F-4 and have never done any other treatment. I had a bit of a headache yesterday and pretty bad insomnia last night. Hopefully the insomnia will go away. I will be getting weekly blood draws for the first 4 weeks. Can't wait for that undetected result! Sick and tired of this nasty disease.      
Hi welcome, I am on my 10th week of Sovaldi and olysio
Genotype 1b, hep c for 43 years,
My biggest side effect has been fatigue
Couple of nights insomnia, an a few small headaches, minor to the fatigue( for me some people not fatigues)

I cleared the virus at week four, and all numbers bloodwork normal, first time in 43 years!
Wow this stuff is great
Good luck!
Stay out of the sun
I just started the sovaldi and the olysio treatment a couple of weeks ago this is my second time doing a treatment the first time wasn't so good I haven't seen my doctor sense I started the comdo and I don't have an doctor till may 5th. I was just wondering how can u tell if the comdo is working?
I have 8 days left on Sovaldi and olysio, I have had allot of fatigue but some people have had no side effects at all, I think it depends on indivual things ( I have auto immune issues)
Not about how you are responding to treatment

I have had a few days every so often without fatigue and then had to simply remind myself to take my pills and that I was on treatment
I wrote it in my calendar  for 94 days, and then every day I take a pill I cross it off, to be sure I do t forget

I was detected at two week labs( but dropped from 409,851 to 43)
I was Undetected at 4 week labs
And undetected at 8 week labs

And hopefully will continue 3 months past the end to SVR

And hopefully you and everyone will too
Whoops meant 84 days
Are you getting blood tests and receiving the results. At the end of the first week my liver function tests returned to normal. I have tests at the end of weeks 1, 2, 4, 8  and 12. I am just starting week 6 on this coming Wednesday  I was tested for the virus at week 4 and it was undetectable. I hope you are getting blood tests call your dr's office and ask for your results.

Good luck
Lynn
well the day  I was supposed to have my blood test done I was put in the hospital for other problems { women problems} so I haven't had a blood test yet but when I go see my doctor on the 5th im going to get them done than im just so scared I don't know what to do cause the 1st time I did the treatment I just knew it was gonna work but it didn't so im a little worried..oh does anyone have heartburn side effects?
im glad everything went well for u hopefully it will go well for all of us GOOD LUCK with the rest of your treatment..
Hey Candyce and all,

I am on my 17 day of Olysio and Sovaldi and am loving it. My only side effects so far are some dark circles under my eyes in the evening before I go to bed, some dehydration, dry skin, a little early morning awakening once in a while, and a hangover like feeling occasionally in the mornings which goes away after my morning walk.

I take a low dose of LDN (about 1.5 mg) every other day and I feel better on the LDN days.

The most exciting thing so far were my two week Metabolic panel test results.

Standard Range 4/1/2014 4/25/2014
ALK PHOS - 56-119 U/L 131 92
ALT (SGPT) -12-60 U/L 164 43
AST(SGOT)   - 15-41 U/L 130 37
I don't know what key I hit, but I wasn't finished with my post, and it got posted. Their doesn't seem to be a way to edit it.

I'll try my table of results again

Standard Range                         4/1/2014 4/25/2014
ALK PHOS -  56-119 U/L           131             92
ALT (SGPT) -12-60 U/L            164             43
AST(SGOT)   - 15-41 U/L          130             37

So basically..that means that my AST and ALT are in the normal range for the first time since the 1970s after only two weeks on this combo.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by week four the virus is gone!

It's really nice to read the posts from the others on this combo. So many of us have suffered for so long in ways that only we can fully understand. I no longer feel fatigued in every cell of my body. What's scary is that it seems too good to be true...

Keep on keeping on folks!
Yes! For the first time in my life I have heartburn, I'm taking Tums once or twice a day and it helps. I'm in week 7 of Sovaldi/Olysio.
Fantastic numbers!
You will be cured
First time I am normal blood work in 43 years :-)))))
Check with your md on the tums, there are allot of regular over the counter drugs not allowed
Also no grapefruit or Seville oranges
Not sure about tums but please ask them ok?
Thanks for the warning, I will definitely check out the safety of Tums. Certainly don't want anything interfering with my treatment. Virus was undetectable at my 4 week labs, will have my next labs on Friday this week. Thanks again for the "heads up".
Hi everyone! I am excited that I found all of you because I am going to start Sovaldi and Olysio and possibly Ribavirin in a few weeks. I am a grandmother who has had this for 44 years. It is comforting to know that you are all doing so well. I was a non responder to Interferon and RIBA twice.  Good luck to those of you waiting to start and continued luck to those of you on it already. I'll keep you posted,
By the way ginger snaps or Anna's Ginger cookies helped me with the nausea when I was on interferon

Good luck on your labs!!!
On my last week of Sovaldi and olysio but no RIBA
My biggest side was allot of fatigue

No grape fruits, NO SUN, and take with food

UD at 4 and 8 weeks
Yeah!
You will do great!!
Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I am nervous about taking these pills but hope you will all be there for support.  
  So happy you are on your last week - that's wonderful!
  Congratulations!!!!!!
I cannot tell all of you how happy it makes me to read through this HUGE thread I started and see many of you being treated with these new drugs.  My recap is simple - 1b since 8 months old, now 61 years old, full cirrhosis, tried treatment twice before on HORRIBLE ribs and Interferon based treatments which almost killed me off- was undetected then relapsed quickly.  NOW - I am 1 month out of treating for only 12 weeks with Olysio and Sovaldi and still undetectable.  My AST and ALT levels are low/normal, all my labs are perfect, my CT scan showed no ascites or liver lesions indicating cancer coming.  I am stronger, healthier and happier then I have been in over 20 years of dealing with this disease.  If you can cure with only these 2 drugs...try them!  I think there are some doctors out there still stuck in thinking Riba and Interferon MUST happen to get SVR, they are wrong!  There are also new drugs on the horizon that will be better tolerated by all.  So, stay educated - stay strong and NEVER accept a doctors opinion as the only answer!  Become your own best doctor and do research so maybe you can educate your health care providers.  Next test is 12 weeks post then the crucial 6 months post.... bring em on!
HUGS TO ALL!!!!
Med part D *****, glad I never signed up. I started Solvaldi, Oliysio, Ribaviran combo, as per the cosmos study... Yesterday, May 1st. Side affects, headache and tiredness. Next day much better.
Took 3 Months after first gastro appt. to recieve all 3 meds. lots of paerwork, phone calls, faxes, letters of neccessity from the doc... so, I jumped thru all the hoops to get them thru each drug co. patient assist. programs. Just be patient it's a long process.
I tried the interferon/Ribavirin tx. twice, never making it past 8 weeks.
That was 8 years ago, and I said to myself, screw this poison, I'll wait for a cure.
I set up Gmail alerts for Hep c, and found out about sovaldi.
I bought stock in the Co., and waited for fda approval.
I have cirrhosis, Not sure how bad. I'm hoping it works and I feel confident it will.
Bllod tests will be: 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 12 weeks, Then finally at 6 months after tx. if it is undectable at that time, you are cured.
I wish everybody good luck with your treatment. I can answer a lot of questions if anybody need an answer to something, let me know.
And I will keep all posted on My TX. here.
Hi!

You wrote: "Med part D *****, glad I never signed up."

I don't understand this. Can you please explain?

Thanks.

Mike
Grams, what a great post

It has been a great lesson for me to learn that, as a patient, you have to know as much as you possiblly can about your disease and there are many on this site who know Far more about Hep C than some doctors I have met who consider themselves experts

I am so happy for you and for you being around for this new combo after all that you have been through

Sadly, some docs and insurance companies are continuing to recommend the old regimens that someone in this group described as drinking drano simply because of the cost.

It's an interesting ethical question about who gets the drugs and who pays for them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/opinion/sunday/how-much-should-hepatitis-c-treatment-cost.html?action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults&mabReward=cserbias%3As&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%23%2Fhepatitis%2520c%2F&_r=0
I said Medicare part D S..u...c...k...s...
the site censored my words.
anyway I say this because it simply is not a good bargain.
high deductables and co pays.
with the solvaldi/olysio combo, I think the deductables and co-pays, and c0-insurance bs.....is like $13,000 ? Can anyone here comment on the out of pocket cost for these drugs and part D please??
Thanks for the clarification. I'm collecting data and opinions on different insurance plans, since I haven' t got one yet and hope to do S&O therapy.

Cheers!

Mike
Patients access network provides $7,000 in Copay coverage for these meds, google them, apply online prover the phone
http://www.panfoundation.org

Called PAN

$7000 Copay assistance, for Medicare hepatitis c drugs
Yes, you are right. I have Part D through AARP which is United Healthcare. I am on Sovaldi/Olysio combo. The good part is that it was easy to get approved, the bad part is that my copay is close to $13,000. It will take a LONG time to pay that credit card off!!
http://www.panfoundation.org

Called PAN

Thank you Candyce! I will definitely apply for that immediately! Thank you thank you!!
First of all, GrammyA, THANK YOU for starting this post.

Does anyone know why some doctors prescribe Ribavirin with the Sovaldi/Olysio combo and some don't?  I was approved for all which would consist of taking 5 Ribavirin/day plus one each of Solvaldi and Olysio per day.  Is the Ribavirin an extra "boost"?

I have  a "teaching visit" at my doctor's office on May 15th for blood tests, instruction etc and hope to start immediately after that.

Also, do any of you find that exercise or certain foods help you through this treatment?  Thanks for any advice you can give.
I have Medicare Part D with United Health Care. United Health pays for 66% of Sovaldi and Olysio. That's 33% for m.  But only for the first 30 day supply of the first prescription. Because of the donut hole and out of pocket expenses cap once I reached the catastrophic designation (around $4700 or so) I only had to pay 5% for the rest. Anyway...it didn't come to 13,000, it came to way less than that. And because the PAN grant allows for $7,000 I ended up with $0 co pay. Somehow, my specialty pharmacy (Central Drugs in Portland OR), arranged all this for me. They did the PAN thing and filled out all the paperwork. All I had to do was pick up the medication the first time in person. The second time they delivered it by a courier in a car to my front door.

I'll repeat this...I am on Medicare Part D with United Health Care and I have zero co pay for Sovaldi and Olysio thanks to a grant from the Patient Access Network grant.

I'm on week four of Sovaldi and Olysioand feeling over-all OK. I wake up sometimes with a kind of hangover feeling which mostly passes during the day. I can tell I am taking some powerful drugs but the sides are minimal. I've upped my melatonin to 21 mg and I sleep OK. I also take a nap every day for twenty-forty minutes. Otherwise life is business as usual.

My two week liver AST and ALT were in the normal range (43 and 37) for the first time since the 70s. I'm hoping to be undetected when I go for the four week VL test this Friday.

I can tell the virus is gone or mostly gone. The cellular-level fatigue I have had for years is gone.

I've had cirrhosis for 7-10 years, the virus for around 43 years, and a starting viral load of 7.8 million. I'm GT 1B.

I'm nervous about the upcoming VL. I want it to be undetectable!
Think positive - these are wonder drugs from what I've read.  I'm sure you will reach undetectable!
I've also had the virus for 44 years - from blood transfusions in 1969.
I am in the beginning stages of cirrhosis according to a Fibroscan radio wave test I took a few months ago (which eliminated another liver biopsy).
It's amazing how you and some of the other people under treatment can actually feel that the virus is gone or almost gone.  That's wonderful.
Keep us posted on your next VL!!!  
We don't have that kind of pharmacy here in rural Alaska. My drugs have to be ordered from a pharmacy in Juneau who in turn, gets them from Seattle. Then they are flown from Seattle to Juneau then by small plane to me! But I am applying for PAN today! Thank you!
I believe Sovaldi + Olysio + Ribavirin is the consensus Tx for people with geno 1a, which is supposedly harder to treat than 1b.

You have to understand that it's hard for hep-MDs to give up prescribing INF/RBV because for a long time they've been getting big money in consultation fees, and for running trials, from the companies that manufacture them .

M.  
Thanks so, so much for this thread! I have learned sooo much! I need to come back tomorrow and read all of it!

I got Sovaldi Olysio on appeal and I have Medicare Part D. Medi/Medi...What I want to know is if anyone has had a platelet loss or other blood count loss on these miracle pills! I am 58 female.  This is my story (a bit of it) I got such great results today, but I'm wondering if any of you got lowered platelet counts mine went from normal to *128...Normal is (150 to 450)

I'm wondering if any of you got lowered platelet counts and/ or blood counts, doctor said that some people on this Sovaldi/Olysio therapy can get some of these counts a little lowered. I want to thank everybody here for all their knowledge and expertise. And I hope you all SVR and quit feeling tired. Tiredness is about the only real side I have experienced, and I'm only nearing my second week. Hi,Medicare and Medical, and when I first applied, I was denied.

But I found out who the appeal board was (there is always an appeal board) and I asked them if I could write my own letter to go along with their appeal, they said yes. I write a good letter. In the meantime, I went to Sovaldi themselves and they said that I qualified for their patient care program so they would be giving it to me for a very small co-pay. Then my appeal came through! So, of course, Sovaldi backed out and said let your drug insurance program pay for it. (Duh) I knew they'd do that. So now I'm not even on my second week (that will be this Wednesday) and for the past 12 years my Liver Function tests have always been hovering around the high 30, 40, 50s. Today I got a test (I won't be getting my viral load test for another few weeks) and my Liver Function Tests are 17 and 18!!!!! I'm over the moon!!!!! I hope this helps. These new drugs are miracle workers!
I'm sorry, I meant to type Medicare/Medical Part B...
Thanks for the info.  The first month's supply of pills are being delivered today!  I can't take them until after the teaching visit next week.  I am waiting for a call from my doctor - he may decide that I don't need to take the Ribavirin.  
Either way I'm sure you will clear the virus. w/o RBV is easier on the body.
thanks so much for being here, all of you. I think I can write some lame posts once in awhile ;-) I'm on a lot of drugs at the moment, prednisone, cyclosporin and this Sovaldi Olysio combo. So far it's just got me very fatigued and my platelets went down a little from normal, the pharmacist told me that that can happen with some people, that this will make one's counts go down a bit, but not too much, like the other treatments, let's hope!
Dear Grammy,
Thank you for sharing all of it! You don't even know how much it means and
how happy I am for everybody who is getting better and hopeful for everyone who is trying....
Started Olysio/Sovaldi  last week and had a strange reaction - vomited the first pill in 3 hours and could not stop vomiting for a day had to to go to ER to get hydrated....and I am  just hoping that it was just a fluke ..... now taking a break...for a week to make sure it was not a stomach virus at the same time....
Have a history of many years(blood transfusion after child birth) living with HEPC, was only diagnosed in 1997, was on interferron(the old treatment of 3 injections a week) for 6 months and was taken off of it due to severe side effects ...you all know what I am talking about ...
Over the years ....had ercp of the bilary duct ,lost gall bladder, was anemic, had hysterectomy ....now compensated cirrhosis platelets at 60, enzymes over 450, but I am still very hopeful that I will succeed ...my AFP is over 200; MRI shows no signs of cancer yet but....
I was just wondering how  many of you have lost their gallbladders and if any one was vomiting profusely at any point and how they dealt with it being on sovaldi/olysio...Good luck to all of you. Optimist3
Do you live in tx,I have same ins,but live in al.,trying to find doc that can prescribe these two drugs,nurse said these r unavailable to them.im in beam,al
I'm hoping that you will be undetected as well. Even though the brass ring is SVR, for those who have lived for decades with the virus, undetected is a wonderful thing to hear
Best to You
I am so sorry optimist you are having such a hard time
I had hep c 1b for 43 years
Cleared the virus with Sovaldi and olysio no naseau
Allot of feature and out of 84 days of treatment 6 nights insomnia

If you aren't taking ribavarin I would say you had a stomach bug
And try again

I have my gallbladder but do have illitus of the small bowel, other digestive issues too

And primary Bilary cirhosis   an autoimmune disease, and hypothyroidism

Good luck on treatment
Stay out of the sun while on it

I cleared at 4 weeks, 8,12
Thank you Candyce...I am resuming tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed ...i am autoimmune as well....
hoping to get cured!
I am so sorry to hear about your "incident". I have gallstones and my hep doctor told me once that losing your gallbladder was very bad for the liver.However,be an optimist and expect that,if,this does not work....something is coming...your's isn't a lost cause.The one thing that my doctor expressed to me before I began treatment was to make sure your stomach is full before you take your meds.I suspect he was really concerned about the Sovaldi rather than the Olysio.I don't find this to be strange because at the end of treatment,I had such a bad case of indigestion,that I feared I would have to lose my gallbladder...but it went away.Make sure you speak to your doctor about what and how much you eat before taking your meds.Hope you feel better...let me know,and...keep your chin up and know that this Hep C can be beat.
One other thing...Did you take the Sovaldi alone...as it was not intended to be taken alone,but together,at the same time with Olysio.
I think it is the olysio that needs the food to properly be absorbed not the Sovaldi ( that's what my md told me)

It is not to protect your stomach but to make the meds work, and  we want it to work don't we :-))
Hi, so happy to be hearing all these great results and for this wonderful thread! Optomist, I had stomach trouble once with this Solvaldi/Olysio, but I figured it was because I just had a salad beforehand, and I've noticed that I really need to eat something solid beforehand, like a piece of nutbread with some healthy fat Smart Balance is what I use) or a full meal. That's just the case with any meds, with me....I do have some depression but I'm a strange case because I had a bone marrow transplant and I'm on a little bit of immune suppression. I'm not taking meds for that and the anxiety. But from what I read and hear, the majority of people do not complain of much except the fatigue...(I have that too) I just did my 4 week viral load yesterday and my second liver function tests were 10 and 15. So I'm hoping for the best! Bless you all for posting your experiences with Sovaldi/Olysio I learn so much! thanks!
misprint (I've lost a little of my focus too, hah!) I am taking meds for depression and anxiety...Best of luck when you start again!
resuming again tonight! hoping it will all work this time around! thank you for your answers and support!
Good luck, take both medicines on a FULL stomach ( even though it is really the olysio)

I was very worried about the effect on my stomach, as I have a bad one, all sorts of iilietus ( even was hospitalized a week 7 years ago)

But I found I had no problems, bowels normal to even better, and naseau maybe once related to overheating I was out side with hat and protective sun stuff( remember sun sensitivity)
I just started same combo today -- my doctor said eat food in am - wait 30 min., take both meds at same time (for simplicity since only Olysio indicates w/food, but causes no drawback with Sovaldi I gather).
I wonder why the 30 minute wait? I eat my breakfast and then take my meds right after that. I wish you wonderful success with the treatment, I know you'll breeze right through it! I have 5 more days then I'm FINISHED! Been virus free since 4 weeks. Keep us posted on your progress!
took 4 th interferon shot last night . im on interferon, ribivirin and sovaldi. have had some kick butt sx but they are better . myalgia and anxiety off the charts. they gave me vicoprophen 7.5/200 and 10 mg valium 3 x daily. is this normal. also i was under the impression i would have a liver biopsy before starting tx? any thoughts? had hep c since 2006 but only got insurance 2 months ago so thats why just now starting tx
Resumed on Saturday. everything went fine this time around. just headaches...but I get those anyway. thank you for your advise and support.
I take both pills after dinner on a full stomach.....
Gives more time to recuperate and get ready for work next morning.
Good luck to everyone!
That's great to hear, it will be over before you know it

No grapefruit juice
And no sun

Good luck!!!
Xo
Started Sovaldi/Olysio 10 days ago. I'm also taking Plaqumine (for Lupus). I have noticed fatigue/ insomnia, indigestion and muscle aches. All of these side effects (?) have been minimal. I will gladly put up with these minor discomforts to be hep-c free! My doc told me to take them at the same time or  take one in the morning, one in the evening, whatever works best for me.
I posted this message to another thread, but since I don't know who if anyone is still reading these, I'm posting it here, too.

This is just an update on my situation, for those who have been following my seven years of tribulations with hepC and my current plight in New York.

I finally found a hep MD in NY who was willing to prescribe Sovaldi + Olysio for me. I had already spoken to the Gilead and Janssen patient assistance programs, both of whom told me I should be eligible (no insurance, advanced fibrosis, etc.) and sent me applications. However, the MD has a specialty pharmacy he works with and is letting them handle the contacts with the assistance programs. I don't know if this is the best way to handle it, but it's what I've got.

So, I'm waiting to hear from them about whether I am approved for asistance. If I'm not, I don't think I will get any more help from either the MD or his specialty pharmacy as they don't seem very interested in spending time with this.

Aside from that, none of the five trial study sites I contacted in February has yet come through with a trial for me. The two who said they would have trials in June have backed off, saying the trials aren't for me. I still have some hopes, though, as they all say there will be new trials starting up soon. Also, tomorrow I have an interview with a hep MD at a big hospital on Long Island that does trials but which requires you to become a patient there first.

So, all things considered, I'm making some kind of progress. I don't have the meds yet, but I feel I know more about how the system works back here in the U.S.

If anyone reads this who got Sovaldi + Olysio through the patient assistance programs, it would be a big help to me if you could tell me how things went for you, especially whether you had to write letters and fight for the meds after the original submissions.

Also, does anyone know if you can re-submit an application for patient assistance once it has been turned down? I'm thinking I might try another MD if things don't work out with the present one and his specialty pharmacy.

Good luck to everyone who's in therapy, and congrats to all who have been through it and cleared the virus.

Cheers!

Mike
Mike,
Try calling this number...they are the best in NYC better than LI
212-241-0034 - liver desease program at Mount Sinai in NYC! They should be able to help.
Good luck and god bless you!
Let me know how it goes...
Thanks!
Mike,
I went to Stonybrook gastroenterologist in East Setauket, Long Island on Feb 5.
They prescribed Solvaldi/Olysio/Ribavirin for 12 weeks as per the cosmos study.
I'm genotype 1a for 28 years.
I applied to Gilead for Solvaldi, J&J for Olysio, and Ribavirin with Karman Pharmacy..I filled out apps, faxed income info, applications, all kinds of things.. kept calling the companies , kept bugging my Doctor...I thought I was doing the right thing...After 3 weeks of this faxing , calling, etc.,
the Doc called me and said a specialty pharmacy was going to secure all the meds and send to my home. Apparently she gave them all the rx's.... I kept calling them to see whats up.
Well, finally after 2 months I got approved for all 3 meds. So I did not really need to do anything except fax over my SSD income.
J&J  and Gilead both needed a letter of neccessity because Olysio and Solvaldi together is off label use. once I got that letter things began to move. J&J also wanted a letter of denial from social security for the low income subsidy, they still sent me meds while I applied for that, and the letter was due in 3 months, I already would be finished with the treatment by then, I faxed that letter as soon as I got my last bottle of Olysio.
Finally in April I had all 3 meds in my hands..It was like gold.
But, I was not allowed to start yet, i had to get more bloodwork, and I had to change or stop some other meds for another condition because they would interfere with the Hep C meds, and I had to get an ultrasound.
Then I  went for orientation, and finally started on May 1.
After 2 weeks my liver enzymes were normal for the first time in 28 years.
After 4 weeks my viral load that started at 1.5 million, was now undetectable!
I still have 7 weeks to go.
Only bad side effects were anemia from the Ribavirin,
Otherwise I feel great.
So good luck...let the specialty pharmacy do the work, but keep calling them to check on the progress.
I am on SSD, only have medicare part A....no Part B, or Part D.....
And it is over $150,000 for 12 weeks....
Part D is no good, they want like a $13,000 deductable.
And I get 90% off my bills thru the Stonybrook Hosp. patient assistance program....any other questions, lemme know.
Hi, ZapFan.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I'm having a similar experience. The specialty pharmacy told me they will take care of contacts with the pharma companies. I just had to write a brief letter and send it with my 1040s from last year to the specialty pharmacy, who called me and said they will let me know what's happening.

Coupla questions:
- What is a letter of denial from social security? How do you get it?
- Did you receive one bottle a month and stockpile them instead of taking them? That's what it sounds like from your post.
- Did Stonybrook get the specialty pharmacy for you?

The Stonybrook patient assistance program sounds great. I wish I could do it all there, but it's so far away, and I'm already signed up with this private MD in Manhattan.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. Even if I'm approved by Gilead and Janssen, I may get hung up on the co-pay.

Cheers.

Mike
To make a long story short, my husband got hep c, g 1A, from a blood transfusion in 1985 when he had leukemia.  In Jan 2013, a CT scan for another reason showed cirrhosis, and a liver biopsy as well. He tried to get on clinical trials at Emory in Atlanta for over a year, and he thought he was going to be on one in in April, and made an appt with his hepatologist for clearance.  Then the trial was canned.  BUT our hepatologist  saidhe could get my husband on Sovaldi/Olysio.  The speciality drug company  he used was TLC Pharmacy in Louisana.  They were great. Olysio was approved almost immediately.  But Gilead required that my husband apply for Obamacare ( were uninsured, but had Christian Healthcare Ministries which is a sharing program).  He was approved for Alliant Solocare here in Georgia, gold plan.  At first, they denied coverage for Sovaldi, but Gilead had our doctor do  a letter of necessity and Alliant approved payment.  They Gilead covered the $16,000 copay.  We pay $5.00/month (plus the monthly premium).  The sad part was that TLC pharmacy was not in network with Alliant, but they transferred the prescrips to Diplomat Pnarmacy.  So after a 1-1/2 year wait, my husband started the treatment on June 4th!
Hi Mike

A letter of denial is a letter of denial you get if you apply for extra help with Drug coverage... if you have to many resources you will be denied for the extra help, also known as a low income subsidy. The makers of Olysio require you to apply and get denied if you claim you have no drug coverage, as I do not, because I refuse to sign up for medicare part D. I am on SSD and cannot afford to pay for Part B or D..I only have part A. Which is no charge and covers major medical like hospital stays, etc.

Yes, I did receive 1 bottle a Month, so ,by the time I started I had to bottls each of Sovaldi and Olysio, and 2 mo. supply of Ribavirin...I now am on week #6 and I have all the meds for the 12 wk treatment.

Yes, My doc at SB contacted the specialty Pharm, and gave them all 3 scripts, refills included, and they did the work.....but like I said, you need to keep them on their toes...the more you call the faster it will happen.

At first I was applying on my own to all 3 drug co., and faxing them info ....but I should not have done this, because the special pharm was doing it for me, so, it was a little counter productive...but you do need to supply the drug co...with anything they ask for.
Hi, cackywalker.

That is a strange story indeed. So many ups and downs, you must be emotionally exhausted.

I guess the pharmas can make you try to get insurance. I didn't realize that until recently. I have a feeling something similar is going to happen to me, although one of the pharma assistance programs said I wasn't eligible for Medicare and Medicaid (something about the time of year).

On the other hand, it's good of Gilead to help you by getting your MD to write the letter of necessity. It shows that the pharma assistance programs are pro-active, which is a very good thing.

Why did it take so long for the scrips to get tranferred to an in-network specialty pharmacy?

Making a cirrhotic person wait 1-1/2 years for Tx is inhuman and shows clearly how screwed up this so-called health system is. It's shameful.

But good luck to your hubby!

Mike
Hi, ZapFan.

Thanks for clearing things up about how it works with the specialty pharmacies and the insurance issue.

Did Olysio make you apply for coverage and get denied by Medicare? What was the point to that, if your plan A doesn't cover drugs?

Isn't it a little scary to start Tx when you only have one or two bottles of each med, since they could stop sending them and cut you off in the middle of treatment? This has always worried me, because I have seen it happen in Buenos Aires with an HIV/HCV co-infectee I know there. There was some kind of screw-up and the meds became unavailable for a while. But maybe this doesn't happen in the U.S.

I don't even have social security because I worked free-lance all my life and didn't pay in. And my income is very low, some years none at all, as I am living off savings that are invested where I get hardly any interest. I have to sell pieces of my invested savings to live. So it wouldn't be fair of the drug companies or the insurers to force me to pay for insurance. But maybe they don't care about fairness.

I have a hospital health plan in Buenos Aires, where I live part of the year, but it's cheap compared to U.S. medical insurance and covers all test procedures, which are done in-house (ultrasound, MRI, CT, bloods, Fibroscan, viral load PCR, biopsy, etc.). Medical is much more "popular" down there, and there are even lots of public hospitals where you can get excellent attention for free.

The lady at the specialty pharmacy that's handling my scrips said she would keep me updated every few days. She called me on Friday to say that all necessary paperwork was now in the hands of the pharmas. She's very nice. Of course, I am becoming a nervous wreck from all this uncertainty, despite having lived with the knowledge that  have HCV for six years. I have never gotten used to the anxiety and have to take pills for it.

Good luck with your Tx. With S+O you should be okay.

Mike
I am in week 3 and my 2 week blood test is very good the liver enzymes from 400 to normal....platelets going up, HEPC  RNA quant 40....
hoping it is working!!!
Good luck to everyone!
Yeah, I made sure I got that last bottle of Olysio before I gave them the denial Letter...They give you 3 mo. to get it, so, by then you already have the meds, I was worried about possibly getting cut off, but once they commit to give you the meds, I don't think they will cut you off...see this link explaining the low income subsidy... You may be eligible for Medicaid.. which pays for drugs and all doctor and hospital costs..if you have a low income you may get it ...The Olysio people..Johnson and Johnson asked me If I applied for Medicaid, I said yes, but I was denied...so then they asked for me to apply for the low income subsidy....but, if you are not eligible for medicare...this does not apply to you

http://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/materials/pdfs/StateManual.pdf
It's a jigsaw puzzle. Sounds like you handled it the right way.

I am waiting to hear from the specialty pharmaceuticals company whether I am approved for patient assistance by janssen and Gilead. If either or both turn me down, I'll go from there.

BTW, not all states are letting Medicaid pay for the HCV DAA's. There's a bog fracas about it. Could bankrupt state treasuries.

Cheers.

Mike
Eventuall the prices for the meds will go down! Once there is a competitor on the market! keep fighting and you will win
Thanks for all of the post on here, it has been very helpful. My Doc. has prescribed both sovaldi and olysio. But of course it keeps getting denied by insurance. They have appealed this since Feb of 2014. But it's so nice to hear of all of the success stories for everyone on here.
I am wondering if most of you have difficulty with high ammonia levels and low platelets along with your ast and alt ?
All of my rbc's seem to be a mess, hemoglobin, hematocrit ect.
I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they have these problems with their hcv.

Thank you and God bless all of you for your speedy recovery!

Lisa
My only bood work abnormalities on the solvaldi/ olysio, ribavirin treatment is low hematocrit and low hemoglobin...(anemia), which can be helped a bit by lowering the dose of ribavirin.
otherwist just had a headache, and hyper photo sensitivity from the olysio.
I finish the 12 week tx in 2 more days.
2 weeks into S/O and so far so good. I take mine like clockwork 1/2 hr after breakfast.Only real issues are fatigue,itchy back,[which I had before tx] and achy thighs.All very tolerable.First blood is at wk 4.Using spf 100, long sleeve [spf 50] shirts, brimmed hat,and sunglasses and with all that,limiting my exposure. Mowing lawn on cloudy days or after dinner when shaded and still taking above measures.Drinking a minimum of 80 oz water daily.[half my weight] Hoping it continues as smoothly moving forward.Very grateful.
Glad to hear about your 2 week tx with S/O. I hope to start the same tx real soon. Solvaldi was approved but we are having to appeal for the Olysio. I have been waiting a long time to treat because I would not treat with the interferon or ribavarin. I have known about 7 years I had the hep c, had to have it for at least 20 yrs. Good luck to all of us who are now getting to kill this dragon!