Hepatitis C Community
On OFF LABEL Sovaldi and Olysio!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Viewing 201-203 comments:
Thank you Candyce! I will definitely apply for that immediately! Thank you thank you!!
First of all, GrammyA, THANK YOU for starting this post.

Does anyone know why some doctors prescribe Ribavirin with the Sovaldi/Olysio combo and some don't?  I was approved for all which would consist of taking 5 Ribavirin/day plus one each of Solvaldi and Olysio per day.  Is the Ribavirin an extra "boost"?

I have  a "teaching visit" at my doctor's office on May 15th for blood tests, instruction etc and hope to start immediately after that.

Also, do any of you find that exercise or certain foods help you through this treatment?  Thanks for any advice you can give.
I have Medicare Part D with United Health Care. United Health pays for 66% of Sovaldi and Olysio. That's 33% for m.  But only for the first 30 day supply of the first prescription. Because of the donut hole and out of pocket expenses cap once I reached the catastrophic designation (around $4700 or so) I only had to pay 5% for the rest. Anyway...it didn't come to 13,000, it came to way less than that. And because the PAN grant allows for $7,000 I ended up with $0 co pay. Somehow, my specialty pharmacy (Central Drugs in Portland OR), arranged all this for me. They did the PAN thing and filled out all the paperwork. All I had to do was pick up the medication the first time in person. The second time they delivered it by a courier in a car to my front door.

I'll repeat this...I am on Medicare Part D with United Health Care and I have zero co pay for Sovaldi and Olysio thanks to a grant from the Patient Access Network grant.

I'm on week four of Sovaldi and Olysioand feeling over-all OK. I wake up sometimes with a kind of hangover feeling which mostly passes during the day. I can tell I am taking some powerful drugs but the sides are minimal. I've upped my melatonin to 21 mg and I sleep OK. I also take a nap every day for twenty-forty minutes. Otherwise life is business as usual.

My two week liver AST and ALT were in the normal range (43 and 37) for the first time since the 70s. I'm hoping to be undetected when I go for the four week VL test this Friday.

I can tell the virus is gone or mostly gone. The cellular-level fatigue I have had for years is gone.

I've had cirrhosis for 7-10 years, the virus for around 43 years, and a starting viral load of 7.8 million. I'm GT 1B.

I'm nervous about the upcoming VL. I want it to be undetectable!
Think positive - these are wonder drugs from what I've read.  I'm sure you will reach undetectable!
I've also had the virus for 44 years - from blood transfusions in 1969.
I am in the beginning stages of cirrhosis according to a Fibroscan radio wave test I took a few months ago (which eliminated another liver biopsy).
It's amazing how you and some of the other people under treatment can actually feel that the virus is gone or almost gone.  That's wonderful.
Keep us posted on your next VL!!!  
We don't have that kind of pharmacy here in rural Alaska. My drugs have to be ordered from a pharmacy in Juneau who in turn, gets them from Seattle. Then they are flown from Seattle to Juneau then by small plane to me! But I am applying for PAN today! Thank you!
I believe Sovaldi + Olysio + Ribavirin is the consensus Tx for people with geno 1a, which is supposedly harder to treat than 1b.

You have to understand that it's hard for hep-MDs to give up prescribing INF/RBV because for a long time they've been getting big money in consultation fees, and for running trials, from the companies that manufacture them .

M.  
Thanks so, so much for this thread! I have learned sooo much! I need to come back tomorrow and read all of it!

I got Sovaldi Olysio on appeal and I have Medicare Part D. Medi/Medi...What I want to know is if anyone has had a platelet loss or other blood count loss on these miracle pills! I am 58 female.  This is my story (a bit of it) I got such great results today, but I'm wondering if any of you got lowered platelet counts mine went from normal to *128...Normal is (150 to 450)

I'm wondering if any of you got lowered platelet counts and/ or blood counts, doctor said that some people on this Sovaldi/Olysio therapy can get some of these counts a little lowered. I want to thank everybody here for all their knowledge and expertise. And I hope you all SVR and quit feeling tired. Tiredness is about the only real side I have experienced, and I'm only nearing my second week. Hi,Medicare and Medical, and when I first applied, I was denied.

But I found out who the appeal board was (there is always an appeal board) and I asked them if I could write my own letter to go along with their appeal, they said yes. I write a good letter. In the meantime, I went to Sovaldi themselves and they said that I qualified for their patient care program so they would be giving it to me for a very small co-pay. Then my appeal came through! So, of course, Sovaldi backed out and said let your drug insurance program pay for it. (Duh) I knew they'd do that. So now I'm not even on my second week (that will be this Wednesday) and for the past 12 years my Liver Function tests have always been hovering around the high 30, 40, 50s. Today I got a test (I won't be getting my viral load test for another few weeks) and my Liver Function Tests are 17 and 18!!!!! I'm over the moon!!!!! I hope this helps. These new drugs are miracle workers!
I'm sorry, I meant to type Medicare/Medical Part B...
Thanks for the info.  The first month's supply of pills are being delivered today!  I can't take them until after the teaching visit next week.  I am waiting for a call from my doctor - he may decide that I don't need to take the Ribavirin.  
Either way I'm sure you will clear the virus. w/o RBV is easier on the body.
thanks so much for being here, all of you. I think I can write some lame posts once in awhile ;-) I'm on a lot of drugs at the moment, prednisone, cyclosporin and this Sovaldi Olysio combo. So far it's just got me very fatigued and my platelets went down a little from normal, the pharmacist told me that that can happen with some people, that this will make one's counts go down a bit, but not too much, like the other treatments, let's hope!
Dear Grammy,
Thank you for sharing all of it! You don't even know how much it means and
how happy I am for everybody who is getting better and hopeful for everyone who is trying....
Started Olysio/Sovaldi  last week and had a strange reaction - vomited the first pill in 3 hours and could not stop vomiting for a day had to to go to ER to get hydrated....and I am  just hoping that it was just a fluke ..... now taking a break...for a week to make sure it was not a stomach virus at the same time....
Have a history of many years(blood transfusion after child birth) living with HEPC, was only diagnosed in 1997, was on interferron(the old treatment of 3 injections a week) for 6 months and was taken off of it due to severe side effects ...you all know what I am talking about ...
Over the years ....had ercp of the bilary duct ,lost gall bladder, was anemic, had hysterectomy ....now compensated cirrhosis platelets at 60, enzymes over 450, but I am still very hopeful that I will succeed ...my AFP is over 200; MRI shows no signs of cancer yet but....
I was just wondering how  many of you have lost their gallbladders and if any one was vomiting profusely at any point and how they dealt with it being on sovaldi/olysio...Good luck to all of you. Optimist3
Do you live in tx,I have same ins,but live in al.,trying to find doc that can prescribe these two drugs,nurse said these r unavailable to them.im in beam,al
I'm hoping that you will be undetected as well. Even though the brass ring is SVR, for those who have lived for decades with the virus, undetected is a wonderful thing to hear
Best to You
I am so sorry optimist you are having such a hard time
I had hep c 1b for 43 years
Cleared the virus with Sovaldi and olysio no naseau
Allot of feature and out of 84 days of treatment 6 nights insomnia

If you aren't taking ribavarin I would say you had a stomach bug
And try again

I have my gallbladder but do have illitus of the small bowel, other digestive issues too

And primary Bilary cirhosis   an autoimmune disease, and hypothyroidism

Good luck on treatment
Stay out of the sun while on it

I cleared at 4 weeks, 8,12
Thank you Candyce...I am resuming tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed ...i am autoimmune as well....
hoping to get cured!
I am so sorry to hear about your "incident". I have gallstones and my hep doctor told me once that losing your gallbladder was very bad for the liver.However,be an optimist and expect that,if,this does not work....something is coming...your's isn't a lost cause.The one thing that my doctor expressed to me before I began treatment was to make sure your stomach is full before you take your meds.I suspect he was really concerned about the Sovaldi rather than the Olysio.I don't find this to be strange because at the end of treatment,I had such a bad case of indigestion,that I feared I would have to lose my gallbladder...but it went away.Make sure you speak to your doctor about what and how much you eat before taking your meds.Hope you feel better...let me know,and...keep your chin up and know that this Hep C can be beat.
One other thing...Did you take the Sovaldi alone...as it was not intended to be taken alone,but together,at the same time with Olysio.
I think it is the olysio that needs the food to properly be absorbed not the Sovaldi ( that's what my md told me)

It is not to protect your stomach but to make the meds work, and  we want it to work don't we :-))
Hi, so happy to be hearing all these great results and for this wonderful thread! Optomist, I had stomach trouble once with this Solvaldi/Olysio, but I figured it was because I just had a salad beforehand, and I've noticed that I really need to eat something solid beforehand, like a piece of nutbread with some healthy fat Smart Balance is what I use) or a full meal. That's just the case with any meds, with me....I do have some depression but I'm a strange case because I had a bone marrow transplant and I'm on a little bit of immune suppression. I'm not taking meds for that and the anxiety. But from what I read and hear, the majority of people do not complain of much except the fatigue...(I have that too) I just did my 4 week viral load yesterday and my second liver function tests were 10 and 15. So I'm hoping for the best! Bless you all for posting your experiences with Sovaldi/Olysio I learn so much! thanks!
misprint (I've lost a little of my focus too, hah!) I am taking meds for depression and anxiety...Best of luck when you start again!
resuming again tonight! hoping it will all work this time around! thank you for your answers and support!
Good luck, take both medicines on a FULL stomach ( even though it is really the olysio)

I was very worried about the effect on my stomach, as I have a bad one, all sorts of iilietus ( even was hospitalized a week 7 years ago)

But I found I had no problems, bowels normal to even better, and naseau maybe once related to overheating I was out side with hat and protective sun stuff( remember sun sensitivity)
I just started same combo today -- my doctor said eat food in am - wait 30 min., take both meds at same time (for simplicity since only Olysio indicates w/food, but causes no drawback with Sovaldi I gather).
I wonder why the 30 minute wait? I eat my breakfast and then take my meds right after that. I wish you wonderful success with the treatment, I know you'll breeze right through it! I have 5 more days then I'm FINISHED! Been virus free since 4 weeks. Keep us posted on your progress!
took 4 th interferon shot last night . im on interferon, ribivirin and sovaldi. have had some kick butt sx but they are better . myalgia and anxiety off the charts. they gave me vicoprophen 7.5/200 and 10 mg valium 3 x daily. is this normal. also i was under the impression i would have a liver biopsy before starting tx? any thoughts? had hep c since 2006 but only got insurance 2 months ago so thats why just now starting tx
Resumed on Saturday. everything went fine this time around. just headaches...but I get those anyway. thank you for your advise and support.
I take both pills after dinner on a full stomach.....
Gives more time to recuperate and get ready for work next morning.
Good luck to everyone!
That's great to hear, it will be over before you know it

No grapefruit juice
And no sun

Good luck!!!
Xo
Started Sovaldi/Olysio 10 days ago. I'm also taking Plaqumine (for Lupus). I have noticed fatigue/ insomnia, indigestion and muscle aches. All of these side effects (?) have been minimal. I will gladly put up with these minor discomforts to be hep-c free! My doc told me to take them at the same time or  take one in the morning, one in the evening, whatever works best for me.
I posted this message to another thread, but since I don't know who if anyone is still reading these, I'm posting it here, too.

This is just an update on my situation, for those who have been following my seven years of tribulations with hepC and my current plight in New York.

I finally found a hep MD in NY who was willing to prescribe Sovaldi + Olysio for me. I had already spoken to the Gilead and Janssen patient assistance programs, both of whom told me I should be eligible (no insurance, advanced fibrosis, etc.) and sent me applications. However, the MD has a specialty pharmacy he works with and is letting them handle the contacts with the assistance programs. I don't know if this is the best way to handle it, but it's what I've got.

So, I'm waiting to hear from them about whether I am approved for asistance. If I'm not, I don't think I will get any more help from either the MD or his specialty pharmacy as they don't seem very interested in spending time with this.

Aside from that, none of the five trial study sites I contacted in February has yet come through with a trial for me. The two who said they would have trials in June have backed off, saying the trials aren't for me. I still have some hopes, though, as they all say there will be new trials starting up soon. Also, tomorrow I have an interview with a hep MD at a big hospital on Long Island that does trials but which requires you to become a patient there first.

So, all things considered, I'm making some kind of progress. I don't have the meds yet, but I feel I know more about how the system works back here in the U.S.

If anyone reads this who got Sovaldi + Olysio through the patient assistance programs, it would be a big help to me if you could tell me how things went for you, especially whether you had to write letters and fight for the meds after the original submissions.

Also, does anyone know if you can re-submit an application for patient assistance once it has been turned down? I'm thinking I might try another MD if things don't work out with the present one and his specialty pharmacy.

Good luck to everyone who's in therapy, and congrats to all who have been through it and cleared the virus.

Cheers!

Mike
Mike,
Try calling this number...they are the best in NYC better than LI
212-241-0034 - liver desease program at Mount Sinai in NYC! They should be able to help.
Good luck and god bless you!
Let me know how it goes...
Thanks!
Mike,
I went to Stonybrook gastroenterologist in East Setauket, Long Island on Feb 5.
They prescribed Solvaldi/Olysio/Ribavirin for 12 weeks as per the cosmos study.
I'm genotype 1a for 28 years.
I applied to Gilead for Solvaldi, J&J for Olysio, and Ribavirin with Karman Pharmacy..I filled out apps, faxed income info, applications, all kinds of things.. kept calling the companies , kept bugging my Doctor...I thought I was doing the right thing...After 3 weeks of this faxing , calling, etc.,
the Doc called me and said a specialty pharmacy was going to secure all the meds and send to my home. Apparently she gave them all the rx's.... I kept calling them to see whats up.
Well, finally after 2 months I got approved for all 3 meds. So I did not really need to do anything except fax over my SSD income.
J&J  and Gilead both needed a letter of neccessity because Olysio and Solvaldi together is off label use. once I got that letter things began to move. J&J also wanted a letter of denial from social security for the low income subsidy, they still sent me meds while I applied for that, and the letter was due in 3 months, I already would be finished with the treatment by then, I faxed that letter as soon as I got my last bottle of Olysio.
Finally in April I had all 3 meds in my hands..It was like gold.
But, I was not allowed to start yet, i had to get more bloodwork, and I had to change or stop some other meds for another condition because they would interfere with the Hep C meds, and I had to get an ultrasound.
Then I  went for orientation, and finally started on May 1.
After 2 weeks my liver enzymes were normal for the first time in 28 years.
After 4 weeks my viral load that started at 1.5 million, was now undetectable!
I still have 7 weeks to go.
Only bad side effects were anemia from the Ribavirin,
Otherwise I feel great.
So good luck...let the specialty pharmacy do the work, but keep calling them to check on the progress.
I am on SSD, only have medicare part A....no Part B, or Part D.....
And it is over $150,000 for 12 weeks....
Part D is no good, they want like a $13,000 deductable.
And I get 90% off my bills thru the Stonybrook Hosp. patient assistance program....any other questions, lemme know.
Hi, ZapFan.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I'm having a similar experience. The specialty pharmacy told me they will take care of contacts with the pharma companies. I just had to write a brief letter and send it with my 1040s from last year to the specialty pharmacy, who called me and said they will let me know what's happening.

Coupla questions:
- What is a letter of denial from social security? How do you get it?
- Did you receive one bottle a month and stockpile them instead of taking them? That's what it sounds like from your post.
- Did Stonybrook get the specialty pharmacy for you?

The Stonybrook patient assistance program sounds great. I wish I could do it all there, but it's so far away, and I'm already signed up with this private MD in Manhattan.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. Even if I'm approved by Gilead and Janssen, I may get hung up on the co-pay.

Cheers.

Mike
To make a long story short, my husband got hep c, g 1A, from a blood transfusion in 1985 when he had leukemia.  In Jan 2013, a CT scan for another reason showed cirrhosis, and a liver biopsy as well. He tried to get on clinical trials at Emory in Atlanta for over a year, and he thought he was going to be on one in in April, and made an appt with his hepatologist for clearance.  Then the trial was canned.  BUT our hepatologist  saidhe could get my husband on Sovaldi/Olysio.  The speciality drug company  he used was TLC Pharmacy in Louisana.  They were great. Olysio was approved almost immediately.  But Gilead required that my husband apply for Obamacare ( were uninsured, but had Christian Healthcare Ministries which is a sharing program).  He was approved for Alliant Solocare here in Georgia, gold plan.  At first, they denied coverage for Sovaldi, but Gilead had our doctor do  a letter of necessity and Alliant approved payment.  They Gilead covered the $16,000 copay.  We pay $5.00/month (plus the monthly premium).  The sad part was that TLC pharmacy was not in network with Alliant, but they transferred the prescrips to Diplomat Pnarmacy.  So after a 1-1/2 year wait, my husband started the treatment on June 4th!
Hi Mike

A letter of denial is a letter of denial you get if you apply for extra help with Drug coverage... if you have to many resources you will be denied for the extra help, also known as a low income subsidy. The makers of Olysio require you to apply and get denied if you claim you have no drug coverage, as I do not, because I refuse to sign up for medicare part D. I am on SSD and cannot afford to pay for Part B or D..I only have part A. Which is no charge and covers major medical like hospital stays, etc.

Yes, I did receive 1 bottle a Month, so ,by the time I started I had to bottls each of Sovaldi and Olysio, and 2 mo. supply of Ribavirin...I now am on week #6 and I have all the meds for the 12 wk treatment.

Yes, My doc at SB contacted the specialty Pharm, and gave them all 3 scripts, refills included, and they did the work.....but like I said, you need to keep them on their toes...the more you call the faster it will happen.

At first I was applying on my own to all 3 drug co., and faxing them info ....but I should not have done this, because the special pharm was doing it for me, so, it was a little counter productive...but you do need to supply the drug co...with anything they ask for.
Hi, cackywalker.

That is a strange story indeed. So many ups and downs, you must be emotionally exhausted.

I guess the pharmas can make you try to get insurance. I didn't realize that until recently. I have a feeling something similar is going to happen to me, although one of the pharma assistance programs said I wasn't eligible for Medicare and Medicaid (something about the time of year).

On the other hand, it's good of Gilead to help you by getting your MD to write the letter of necessity. It shows that the pharma assistance programs are pro-active, which is a very good thing.

Why did it take so long for the scrips to get tranferred to an in-network specialty pharmacy?

Making a cirrhotic person wait 1-1/2 years for Tx is inhuman and shows clearly how screwed up this so-called health system is. It's shameful.

But good luck to your hubby!

Mike
Hi, ZapFan.

Thanks for clearing things up about how it works with the specialty pharmacies and the insurance issue.

Did Olysio make you apply for coverage and get denied by Medicare? What was the point to that, if your plan A doesn't cover drugs?

Isn't it a little scary to start Tx when you only have one or two bottles of each med, since they could stop sending them and cut you off in the middle of treatment? This has always worried me, because I have seen it happen in Buenos Aires with an HIV/HCV co-infectee I know there. There was some kind of screw-up and the meds became unavailable for a while. But maybe this doesn't happen in the U.S.

I don't even have social security because I worked free-lance all my life and didn't pay in. And my income is very low, some years none at all, as I am living off savings that are invested where I get hardly any interest. I have to sell pieces of my invested savings to live. So it wouldn't be fair of the drug companies or the insurers to force me to pay for insurance. But maybe they don't care about fairness.

I have a hospital health plan in Buenos Aires, where I live part of the year, but it's cheap compared to U.S. medical insurance and covers all test procedures, which are done in-house (ultrasound, MRI, CT, bloods, Fibroscan, viral load PCR, biopsy, etc.). Medical is much more "popular" down there, and there are even lots of public hospitals where you can get excellent attention for free.

The lady at the specialty pharmacy that's handling my scrips said she would keep me updated every few days. She called me on Friday to say that all necessary paperwork was now in the hands of the pharmas. She's very nice. Of course, I am becoming a nervous wreck from all this uncertainty, despite having lived with the knowledge that  have HCV for six years. I have never gotten used to the anxiety and have to take pills for it.

Good luck with your Tx. With S+O you should be okay.

Mike
I am in week 3 and my 2 week blood test is very good the liver enzymes from 400 to normal....platelets going up, HEPC  RNA quant 40....
hoping it is working!!!
Good luck to everyone!
Yeah, I made sure I got that last bottle of Olysio before I gave them the denial Letter...They give you 3 mo. to get it, so, by then you already have the meds, I was worried about possibly getting cut off, but once they commit to give you the meds, I don't think they will cut you off...see this link explaining the low income subsidy... You may be eligible for Medicaid.. which pays for drugs and all doctor and hospital costs..if you have a low income you may get it ...The Olysio people..Johnson and Johnson asked me If I applied for Medicaid, I said yes, but I was denied...so then they asked for me to apply for the low income subsidy....but, if you are not eligible for medicare...this does not apply to you

http://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/materials/pdfs/StateManual.pdf
It's a jigsaw puzzle. Sounds like you handled it the right way.

I am waiting to hear from the specialty pharmaceuticals company whether I am approved for patient assistance by janssen and Gilead. If either or both turn me down, I'll go from there.

BTW, not all states are letting Medicaid pay for the HCV DAA's. There's a bog fracas about it. Could bankrupt state treasuries.

Cheers.

Mike
Eventuall the prices for the meds will go down! Once there is a competitor on the market! keep fighting and you will win
Thanks for all of the post on here, it has been very helpful. My Doc. has prescribed both sovaldi and olysio. But of course it keeps getting denied by insurance. They have appealed this since Feb of 2014. But it's so nice to hear of all of the success stories for everyone on here.
I am wondering if most of you have difficulty with high ammonia levels and low platelets along with your ast and alt ?
All of my rbc's seem to be a mess, hemoglobin, hematocrit ect.
I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they have these problems with their hcv.

Thank you and God bless all of you for your speedy recovery!

Lisa
My only bood work abnormalities on the solvaldi/ olysio, ribavirin treatment is low hematocrit and low hemoglobin...(anemia), which can be helped a bit by lowering the dose of ribavirin.
otherwist just had a headache, and hyper photo sensitivity from the olysio.
I finish the 12 week tx in 2 more days.
2 weeks into S/O and so far so good. I take mine like clockwork 1/2 hr after breakfast.Only real issues are fatigue,itchy back,[which I had before tx] and achy thighs.All very tolerable.First blood is at wk 4.Using spf 100, long sleeve [spf 50] shirts, brimmed hat,and sunglasses and with all that,limiting my exposure. Mowing lawn on cloudy days or after dinner when shaded and still taking above measures.Drinking a minimum of 80 oz water daily.[half my weight] Hoping it continues as smoothly moving forward.Very grateful.
Glad to hear about your 2 week tx with S/O. I hope to start the same tx real soon. Solvaldi was approved but we are having to appeal for the Olysio. I have been waiting a long time to treat because I would not treat with the interferon or ribavarin. I have known about 7 years I had the hep c, had to have it for at least 20 yrs. Good luck to all of us who are now getting to kill this dragon!
I started Sovaldi and Olysio today (about 9 hours ago) So far, so good. Good luck to all of us. Our time has come!
Hi, all. I haven't abandoned the thread, but I've had a bad summer and haven't had the heart to post.

I was approved for patient assistance for Sovaldi and Olysio in July and have received them. Unfortunately, I lost both the prescribing MD and the lab I was counting on. Without insurance, getting another hepatologist, and a lab are almost impossible it seems. So I'm stuck and am not Tx-ing yet.

I thought that, worse come to worst, I could go back to Buenos Aires and do it there. But my MDs in B.A. refuse to cooperate because the meds aren't approved there yet. So much for professional responsability.

At least the summer heat is almost gone and I'll be able to get around better soon (the heat and humidity in New York aggravate my spinal problems) and start looking for medical help again.

Life is nuts.

Mike
I cannot believe it, but I paid for a viral load test (The insurance company wanted to test me at 4 weeks after SOT but I did not want to wait so I paid out-of-pocket and the nurse called today and said after only 6 days of Sovaldi and Olysio (no riba) I'm undetected. The only side effect I'm having is insomnia. I feel blessed beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Viewing 201-203 comments: