Hepatitis C Community
Pain Relievers

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pain Relievers

Is Tylenol the only OTC pain reliever that you can take with this treatment?

PJ
Which OTC pain relievers a person can take depends on how advanced your liver disease is. Their is no blanket answer that covers everyone.

Your gastro or hepatologist is your best source of information related to your health status and your liver disease. Therefore they are in the best position to tell you what you can do or not due during treatment.

Cheers!
Hector
Not necessarily.

My doctor told me to take tylenol up to 1000 mg. a day for pain. She said to avoid NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Advil, Naproxen, etc.). I don't take NSAIDS anyway. They always irritate my stomach, a lot. I think 1000 mg. of Tylenol a day is a bit conservative (but she tends to be conservative). Others on the forum have said up to 2000 mg per day.

Some on the forum do take NSAIDS.

One thing to keep in mind is that Tylenol is in a lot of over the counter medications so a person has to read the labels of all OTC meds to see if Tylenol is in them and to make sure he/she is not taking more Tylenol than he/she thinks he is taking.

If a person has severe liver damage then Tylenol is pretty much the only OTC pain med to take.

Wilbbl posted some guidelines the other day but I am not sure where to find them. Here is a link to an article by a hepatologist concerning OTC pain meds:

http://www.liverdisease.com/painkillers_hepatitis.html

And another article:

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2007/05/is_there_pain_r.html

If I were you  I would discuss this with my MD because your MD knows the condition of your liver and other problems you may have. Therefore he/she can make an informed decision/opinion based on your medical problems.

Any medication you take, even creams and ointments, should be cleared with your doctor. Also, many doctors use a specialty pharmacy and want all meds to go through that pharmacy to be sure there are no interactions with the triple med. treatment.

I hope this helps.

(I know Tylenol is okay to take with Incivek, Pegasys, and Ribavirin because that is what I am on and my doctor and the specialty pharmacy said Tylenol is okay.)

I see Hector posted while I was typing. He is one of the experts on this forum.

I just want to make clear that my statement, "Not Necessarily," is an answer to your question, "Is Tylenol the only OTC pain reliever that you can take with this treatment?"

I want to clarify that because when one first looks at my post, that statement appears to be commenting on Hector's post and that is not the case. If I had seen Hector's post I would have made it clear in my first post that my comment was to your question, not to Hector's post.
Asking  about aspirin because it's always worked better for me, I was told I could use it as long as my platelets were 100 or above.
Of course that was for me,specifically.
i'm in a gilead trial and my study nurse said i could take motrin.  belle
As Hector has mentioned ..pain relievers are not a one size fits all..however unless someone has very advanced liver disease (cirrhosis) most classes of pain meds are not of any danger,taken at the prescribed doses and ideally not for long lengths of time.
A Prev. thread with a link below...

Good luck to your son and welcome to the group.
Will

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Article-on-pain-meds/show/1552015?personal_page_id=1837989

i'm in a gilead trial also...study coordinator said ibruprofen, no tylenol.
Ibuprofen  and most  NSAIDS are very dangerous to many with advanced liver disease(chirrotics) and also any with health issues with bleeding problems  (ie gastro issues  platelet problems .INR. too low etc.).

When taking any medications  again as Hector has mentioned a doctor that knows your full history should be considered.

OC: I would hope your coordinator would not prescribe ibuprofen to any patient with the above contraindications.

Will
Unfortunately will I bet a lot of them dont know the contraindicators at all.
I take aleve but I take the bare minimum of it. I have never liked taking anything including tylenol, ibuprofen or aleve, but the aleve works the best for me. Tylenol is like drinking water it does nothing.