Hepatitis C Community
Pain killers

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pain killers

HepC, not on tx yet. What pain killers can I take safely, which should I avoid?

For example, my hepatologist told me to stay away from paracetamol. Okay. And I don't use aspirin because I have gastrointestinal problems. I've heard that ibuprophen and the other non-corticosteroid anti-inflammatories are bad, especially for people with HepC. So what can I take for regular old pain? Nothing? I've just got to put up with it?

Anyone know?

Mike

my doc says tylenol or advil is fine...there is evidence that tylenol could be harmful, but my doc says only when combined with achohol.    

i know when i take my shot on friday nights i take 2 advil pms. and if i am achey (achy) i take advil.

other probally know better.

peace
rita

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/83073

here is some more information
I'm on treatment and I can take Tylenol extra-strength.  Rita's on treatment too.  So I guess you can take Tylenol if we can.  
The thing about paracetamol/acetaminophen is that large doses can even damage the liver of a healthy person. Most doctors will tell their HCV patients to keep it under 2000-3000 mg per day and those with cirrhosis <1000 mg/day. Are there special circumstances that keep you from taking any at all? If so and your gastro problems don't allow the use of NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, naprosyn, oxyprosin) see if you can get an opioid like hydrocodone straight, without any anti-inflammatories compounded into it.
I was prescribed paracetamol for the fever and bodyache of peg therapy in the first few weeks .Then I did not need it. I tok only 250 mg one dose .My weight i 70 kg and it works.
I am not on treatment, yet, the same with my daughter.

My GP told me to stay away from any meds, including pain killers, as there is onlgoing damage in my liver (ALT counts)

My daughter he said, is allowed to take an OCCASIONAL paracetamol, or ibuprofen for period pain or strong headaches. He said that as her ALT is normal (27), it is okay.

So maybe it is different for everyone. But I don't think that an occasional pill, when you really have a lot of pain, will do too much harm. But I'm sure it depends on how much liver damage you have, too.

Marcia
My very good friend has lupus and her doc prescribes vicoden with out acetaminifin (sp?).  they are smaller and blue.  I take soma for muscle aches occasionally and all 3 of my docs said there is not a problem.  Also another friend has hemechromatosis (iron overload) and he takes advil, supposedly advil is processed thru the kidneys instead of the liver, not sure how true that is but that is what he told me.  ask your doc to be sure.

GSD
I've read and heard too many bad things about paracetamol and the liver to take it casually. My gastro told me to stay away from it, and she's not dogmatic or extremist by any means. So I've decided to leave it alone. And I'm prohibited from taking aspirin and the NSAIDs because of my gastro problems. So maybe Vicoden would be the way to go. I'll give it a try.

I guess the best thing would be to avoid pain. But how do you do that? Life is full of pain. I have back pain, stomache pain, intestinal pain, shoulder pain, and other pains every day. It goes with the age, especially as I lived a wild and crazy life and never took care of myself.

Trouble is, after reading about all the side-effects of antiviral treatment, I'm gonna be out of action altogether without pain killers.

Mike