Hepatitis C Community
Potassium?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Potassium?

Does anyone else have recurring issues with low potassium (hypokalemia)? Prior to TX I don't think it had been really ever checked but since starting it's shown up low (2.1-2.8) a few times.
You should seek help from a doctor that is familiar with hypokalemia.
Hypokalemia is defined as a potassium level less than 3.5 mEq/L.
Moderate hypokalemia is a serum level of 2.5-3 mEq/L.
Severe hypokalemia is defined as a level less than 2.5 mEq/L.

You have had both moderate and servere hypokalemia at certain times. This can be very dangerous. It can cause nerve and heart problems. Hypokalemia is an indication that you have an underlying health issue. Please seek out help before doing any damage to your health. Perhaps you are taking something that is lowering your potassium levels? Diuretics? Certain antibiotics may also be a cause of the condition. Do you have kidney disease?

Best to not ignore this.

Good luck to you.

Hector
Thanks Hector.

The first time it came about was the end of April and I had been really sick so it was considered to be dehydration. The net time it came up, when it went really low, I was on my 3d week of vancomycin, and then a week later it was low again.

I see my infectious disease specialist next friday, so hopefully he can shed some light on it and if need me send me to someone else. I'm hoping it is mostly antibiotic related as I had heard that it is often an issue in cirrhotic people and of course I fret and wonder where my liver is really at these days.
Are you in fact cirrhotic?  What stage of Fibrosis are you.  
I saw in your other post how you decided to proceed with treatment since you are 'showing an increase in Fibrosis' and that you you treated back in 2000 with non-pegylated interferon alpha and were deemed a  null-responder but no mention of a biopsy then or now.

I hope you are feeling better. You sure have had a tough go of it what with the cellulitis & IV drip. Electrolyte values out of the reference interval might not be so unusual. Still, I would be sure to ask your doctor about this since 2.1 is low..

I hope you post an update after your next appointment/labs ♫
Low potassium can be very dangerous. Last year I had NO potassium and ended up in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit for five days. The shots are very painful but they do have potassium pills. I think they give you the pills after they have gotten some measure of potassium back into you.

Please be extremely careful about this.
I have 2 time low potassium level in blood (2,9 meq/l), althought I don't know the true cause.,... the doc thinks gastro problems as gluten sensivitivity, the tyroide is ok, I'm thinking something about kidneys desease... I hope to stay well!!! :) wish to you
Try low sodium V-8. Six oz. has 700 mg. potassium or coconut water.