Hepatitis C Community
SGPT or ALT Level that is considered critical?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What is the level of SGPT (ALT) that is considered critical or causes damage to the liver?
ALT is an enzyme which is released when liver cell death occurs. Different labs have different ranges but the new expert opinions suggest that ALT high normal should be at 30. Quest Diagnostic Labs have the normal range at 9-60 on my lab sheet. I have seen my ALT in the 400's and have known people whose ALT was significantly higher than that. The higher the ALT the more liver cell death that is occurring. I believe that if your ALT is out of range - say higher than 60 - you should see a hepatologist and determine the cause and possible options for treatment. The newer expert opinions might suggest that >30 should be investigated but this is a recent position and I haven't known any doctors who have adopted this standard when assessing liver health. Mike