Hepatitis C Community
Sojourns Disease

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Sojourns Disease

My wife has been diagnosed with Sojourns Disease.  I am attempting to research the disease, the causes, the symptoms, and especially the approved treatments.
Tags: Hepatitis, antibodies, autoimmune, internet, proteins, reading, Research, s, systemic, dry eye, Dry eyes, Sjogren, sjogrens Syndrome
Really don't know anything about it but could it be 'Sjogren's Syndrome'?     Try to 'google' it.
I was just reading about this, though I don't know that much. Apparently it's autoimmune disease- so your body produces antibodies against it's own proteins.  Very common symptoms include dry mouth and dry eyes- I believe the disease is systemic.  There is a national and then local chapters of Sjogren's Syndrome associations- self help groups. Good luck, you should be able to find lots on the internet.  
where can i get info. on sojourns disease. My doctor is running lab work now.  He told me yesterday this is a possibility. I can't find out much more than it's an autoimune disease    
Sjogren's Syndrome effects about 4 million in the us. 90% are female.

The cause is unknown.

There are many and very varied symptoms. It is an autoimmune inflammatory connective tissue  rheumatologic conditon.

There are a variety of treatments, some are dependent on the particular symptoms being exhibited. Not the same for everyone.

For more information see www.sjogrens.netfirms.com
Here's a little bit of information, I got it off the hcvinprison website.  It was in one of their newsletters, Jan-Feb 2002.  I left the link to the pdf, but it may be zapped.  God Bless

Glossary of Common Conditions Linked to Hepatitis C

Sjogren's Syndrome - Sjogren's syndrome is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disorder. The syndrome occurs by itself or can, and often does, occur with other autoimmune diseases such as lupus, ploymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, and other lesser known rheumatic autoimmune diseases.  In Sjogren's syndrome, the immune system produces lymphocytes (white blood cells) that produce self-reactive proteins called autoantibodies which attack the tear, salivary, and other moisture producing glands, thus destroying the glands and their ability to produce moisture. Many parts of the body can be affected by Sjogren's syndrome, such as the lungs, brain, nerves, joints, kidneys, thyroid, and liver. In the majority of cases, the autoimmune response is confined to the tear ducts, salivary glands, and vagina.

http://www.hcvinprison.org/cms/images/stories/hcvinprison/docs/newsletters/Jan-Feb_2002.pdf
I was diagnosed this week with sjogren's syndrome, but I don't have dry eyes or the dry mouth. My symptoms are joint pain, two of my attacks have been intense, could barely walk or pick up a glass of water cause the pain was intense, headaches, dizzy spells, tingling sensations, chest tightness woke me up several nights, don't sleep good, hard time concentration or just remembering lots of confusion, anyone in the same boat lets talk.
by the way I am 33 years old been in great health. Have ran numerous marathons used to be in great shape and healthy.
I'm assuming if you are in this forum your wife has hepatitis C.  HCV is considered a triggering agent of systemic autoimmune diseases, one of which is Sjögren's syndrom (syndrome).  Dry eyes and dry mouth are the most common symptoms. I have a friend that has it and she has the most trouble with her eyes. The get very red, swollen, and painful.