Hepatitis C Community
Supplements

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Supplements

I am no a doctor.  But I found this information.  Does anyone know if any of this is true?

Milk Thistle (Silymarin) may stimulates production of new liver cells and increase glutathione levels (an important antioxidant in liver).  May protect liver from toxins.  Human studies have also shown decreased mortality in patients with alcoholic liver damage who are treated with silymarin.  But, some other studies have shown no benefit.

Dandelion - Thought to have protective effects.

NAC
I don't know for sure.  I took over $1,000 worth of supplements for over a year and it didn't do anything.  I shouldn't say that....maybe it kept the virus at bay.  I know it didn't kill it.  However, I just started tx for the second time around and my docs don't want me to take any supplements cause they aren't sure of the interactions.  I can take a multi vitamin without iron and vitamin c.  Otherwise she doesn't even want me to drink green tea right now.
Personally, I learned the hard way that supplements and the few herbs I take do  help me with some of the nasty little implications of this virus, though, of course, it doesn't kill it except in extremely rare cases...when I stopped my regimen the symptoms came back with a vengeance...including my alts going up, so perhaps it does keep the virus at bay a little...though if you want to rid yourself of it, and probably most people do, do the treatment...

I personally think that most treatment doctors do not know ANYTHING about extra therapies for this virus while on treatment or off, so they figure just nix everything to be on the safe side, which is understandable I guess...

Case in point, I'm sure they wouldn't nix plain old coffee, cause that's a known quantity to them, but to say not to drink green tea? I think coffee is harsher on the body then green tea... you get my point...

Maybe it's a function of where I live or something, but my doctor gave me a list of things I SHOULD take while on treatment, some of them might be surprising to some of you...my friend here in this area...said his doc told him to take some of these immune boosters too...said it might even help him not to get anemic, which happened on his last go-round....that he had some good luck with them with some of his other patients...I know this is controversial to say the least, but I just wanted to throw some other info out there too, to counter-balance...

For all we know, in 5 years time, these other natural treatments while on treatment will be routine...I remember in the 70, 80's (oh well, I am getting up there, ha ha!) when I had most every conventional MD I went to tell me not to take any vitamins under any circumstances...with the possible exception of vitamin c...
forgot to answer your original question, he he he...yes, I take some things you mentioned, cept, what's Beatine? Also, I have hay fever so I can't take dandelion, makes me snuffly...anyway, were you told that you had very low liver damage? can you tell us your stats? are you waiting to treat? course, youre under no obligation, just wondering...
I think most of us have been tickled by reading about the wonders of supplements.
Look again at the stuff you have read-is it written by people trying to sell you the stuff (often describing themselves as 'Doctors of Nutrition") or is it from genuine members of the medical establishment.
My own view six years after diagnosis is that supplements are just a market and usually quite useless.Vitamin E may be helpful but no amount of tests have provided a shred of scientifc evidence that HVC patients will benefit from the products you mention.
Others here may disagree-go with your instincts.
also wanted to mention that not everything that is out there is legit and there is snake oil, collodial silver is a case in point..but there are many of us here and elsewhere who have benefitted from some types of supplements and herbs, but it's like anything else, we're all different and some of us might have some things disagree with them or whatever...as you can see, some people just don't feel supplements are of any use at all...I'd go with a good nutritionist and/or maybe an integrative specialist doctor who is knowledgable...
you said.....as you can see, some people just don't feel supplements are of any use at all...I'd go with a good nutritionist and/or maybe an integrative specialist doctor who is knowledgable...
----------------------------------------------------------------

I like your style girl, you don't go off on a rampage when people don't always agree with ya. Im not much for supplements but then i really don't know much about alot of them. And the best part is you tell people to go to a nutritionist or a doctor who is a specialist who is knowledgable.
I like your style to Canny, you like to tease and have a good time, and we need that around here, things get pretty grim sometimes, if we didn't have he he people, I'd go elsewhere cause you need some yuks now and then to keep you sane! my humble opinion..yeah, if I went raging everytime someone here didn't agree with me, I'd be locked up!!! take care friend and enjoy the rest of your Sunday...
what kind of gensing to you take? just wondering...hope your sides are kind to you...let's go have a smoothie! or maybe juice some veggies! that oughta get em up!  he he he!
Ha the nac is also used as a anti-dote in many emergency rooms for tylenole overdose.

Foresee - I agree with the canman, your a very nice girl, never bit--in or growlin when some1 gets to arguin. Keep up the good work there cheerin us crazies along!
I don't have a virus.  But just mildly elevated liver enzymes of unknown cause.  I have been through all tests.  The elevations are unexplainable.  I just want to be kind to my liver.  I was wondering if a supplement could help support it.

Do you mind sharing the list that the doctor gave you of things you SHOULD?
does anyone have an experience with probiotics such as acidophilus on liver enzymes?
Thanks for the link - I scanned some of it and bookmarked it for later.  I have been doing well and feeling great, still taking ACV and the Vege Greens.  Week 36/48 - and as I get closer to the end of treatment I am considering a fast when I get done to push the meds out of my body.
Rocker said: hese compounds are phytonutrients that work in the body to stop the immune system from overreacting.
--------------------------------------------------

Do you think that is a good thing while treating? My understanding is that we do want the immune system to "overreact" to kill the virus. Just something to think about. But I will definitely look into it at some point now that I've finished treating.

-- Jim
I think that it may depend.  If you have HCV, then I am not sure how much of an over-reaction you want.  Autoimmune hepatitis is pretty nasty.  A disproportionately large number of people with HCV get auto-immune hep.  Some think that this virus cause a stir in the immune system and the immune system begins to attack the liver instead of the HCV.  Apparently HCV is a tricky little bugger.  Taking an immuno-stimulant may be added to the complications.  Take that for what its worth since I am not an MD.

What is more interesting to my is supplements like phosphatidylcholine since it has actually been used in randomized double blinded placebo controlled trials with patient with HCV.  One group was administered interferon plus phosphatidylcholine and the other interferon plus a placebo.  The group with the phosphatidylcholine did better.  However, this study has not been replicated.

Also, some studies have shown that vitamin E prevents liver fibrosis - which is a complication of hep.
Thanks for the clarification and def something I'll look into at some point. Coincidentally, Goofy posted something interesting on Cortizone and the immune system in the thread above this. You might want to check out his post and my follow up. I almost ended up on a systemic immune suppresant for my psoriasis during treatment. I consulted a few hepatologists and two said OK use it, another said use it only if you absolutely have to because you're mixing up the brew in a way that really hasn't been studied.

-- Jim
What are your thoughts on whey protein powder?  There is some literature that undenatured whey can increase glutathione levels and enhance the immune system.  However, is protein powder any more harsh on the liver than an equivalent amount of protein from food?
Missed you last week my friend. Are you holding up well with the sides? Hope so. Dale
another shot bites the dust!!! #24 makes it the halfway point...i am doin the program w/ no deviations ...a pill popping basketcase somedays ,but hanging in there...How you doin???
hey man, good to hear from ya!!! i'm doin o.k. ;same old,same old....meds sux& i'm eating 'em...How's tricks??? yu do any spring boating yet? gonna visit them islands inthe stream of conciousness? Hope yur sides are like walnuts inthe brownies of life-and just keep gettin better!! Be Well
On number 23 of 48 so right behind you. Some days are diamonds and well you know about the others. I'm saving my vacation for the late fall and plan on going to some place like St Thomas or that general area. Kick back and let my pin cushion belly change colors from purple spots to bright red. Glad you're kickin today. Hang in there. Dale
Another shot bites the dust.. I know those riba are a killer.  i find the riba worse then the shots.  Look at the bright side, it's one more day closer to SVR my friends.

beagle
You are correct. Each morning about 40 minutes after taking the Riba I actually feel my brain functions slipping away and the fog rolling in. I think the Riba has a much more profound daily affect on me. Saturday through Monday I know the other sides are Pegasys and Nupogen but otherwise its riba. I feel like Speedy Gonzales : ariba ariba ariba andalli andalli vamos vamos! If anyone can relate:) Dale
For those of us making the profits for the supplement industry, maybe we are spending a bit much? One pill might be all that we need:
SCIENCE

FDA Approves Sale Of Prescription Placebo

WASHINGTON, DC
yup,riba is some nasty stuff-shot # is justa milemarker..them riba pills are a hard act to swallow...i look forward to the day without pills!!!! energy,strength,memory-sure makes a guy appreciate life&health-Treatment:a serious pause to repair, reflect&rejoice...it's hard to imagine this inna positive light,but i have been given time to heal and possibly grow; chance to  see if my shoelaces are tied;my prioritys correct;my energy positive;my works 'good'-quit chasing money and start following my heart......never too late to start all over again....
on the topic of supplemnts;i have a list of natural healing meds for prostate ,i make no claims,but they are often touted as effective:extract of pygeum africanum,saw palmetto,pumpkin seeds;Prostaglandins.PGE-benefit immunity,diabetes,obesity&prostate-seeds/extacted oils from borage,black currant,walnuts...;GLA -evening primrose ;seeds of maple&Mayapple ..Kombu&kelp..i use to take a combo supplement Z-bec..hadb,e,c and lotsa zinc.and lotsa water&cranberry juice.stay away from caffeine and too much sitting or stress.that helped!...hope yu find a combo that works for you and keep it warm&active!!
good morning, how are you doing with your sxs?  hope your week end went well.

beagle
That is so true Beamer - all of it. Dale
I can relate:)  Their are some who have no sxs, go figure.  They are the lucky ones.

Beagle
Guys, I have been taking herbs and supplements for years, in different forms and many studies show that it aint 'snake oil'.
However, as yet there is no firm evidence of it actually curing Hep C, just making the body stronger to deal with it.  I myself have lived with this virus for 20 years with little ill effects.

Now that I am on Tx, I am careful what I use and have a naturopath specilising in this field overseeing my care.  First and foremost..dont take anything that works on cytochrome p450 as while thats brilliant for detox with hep c, it can actually clear tx drugs from the system, so...no st johns wort or schisandra.  Also I have read conflicting reports whether milk thistle works on this pathway and come to the conclusion that it don't, so is ok on tx,

I take astragalus sometimes (when I can afford it) to try and keep up my WCC.  However, as much as I love herbs I realise that they can only nudge your body whilst Tx slams it.

Am looking forward to this Tx being over and those herbs can nudge my body back to good health without having these meds counteracting all its good work.  Hopefully then I will also have the energy and desire to eat again! That will do me the world of good too, lol