Hepatitis C Community
Touched fresh blood

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Touched fresh blood

I went to supermarket went to cashier point, the lady there wanted to have my bank card to put into machine and i dont remember if she touched it or not as I put that in the machine myself, but afterwards I saw that her finger was bleeding!! I Dont know if her fresh blood has touched my bank card stuff that I have bought or my hand. I also had cut on my hand which it happened in the morning. I also saw some stain on my bank card and am not sure what that is. I am very scared about  Hep C risks. Can someone please help me!!!!
  If you have a cut on your hand, it is best to put a bandaid on, before going out in public. Most likely the Cashier did NOT have Hep C, it is only 1 or 2 % infected, in the genreral population, so the odds are in your favor.
Thanks for ur reply. My cut was not bleeding and unfortunately in the morning that it happened I didn't have Bandai to put on it. Can you please let me know the ways that someone can get Hep C? Is it like HIV?? Which one is more likely?? Thanks
Who is at risk for Hepatitis C?
Some people are at increased risk for Hepatitis C, including

Current injection drug users (currently the most common way Hepatitis C virus is spread in the United States)

Past injection drug users, including those who injected only one time or many years ago

Recipients of donated blood, blood products, and organs (once a common means of transmission but now rare in the United States since blood screening became available in 1992)

People who received a blood product for clotting problems made before 1987

Hemodialysis patients or persons who spent many years on dialysis for kidney failure

People who received body piercing or tattoos done with non-sterile instruments

People with known exposures to the Hepatitis C virus, such as
Health care workers injured by needlesticks

Recipients of blood or organs from a donor who tested positive for the Hepatitis C virus

HIV-infected persons

Children born to mothers infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Less common risks include:

Having sexual contact with a person who is infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Sharing personal care items, such as razors or toothbrushes, that may have come in contact with the blood of an infected person.

Hector
NO risk for Hep C. But a lot of risk for Obsessive compulsive disorder. If you stress about this type of thing often you should seek mental help. Best of luck
+1 copyman
Thanks for your help. Yes I know it seems that I have OCD in regards to these kind of cases. I am trying to make it better by reading and knowing more about actual risk, but sometimes can not help it :(:(
+2 copyman
fair enough. hopefully as you educate yourself about diseases you will not obsess as much. knowledge is power.
best of luck
  Yes, since your cut was not bleeding, then it is not "blood to blood" contact. Getting hit by a car is more of a risk, us Heppers and Ex-Heppers pose very little threat.
   We are trying to fight the "Stigma" that surrounds this subject, Hep C(which is insult upon injury, for those of us who suffer from this disease), so please try to keep this in mind, which may also help you to NOT give in to your urge, to have us reassure you about possible contagion.
   Most of us have lived for years with our husbands and children, without even knowing we had Hep C many times, and  our family members have not caught Hep C from us~ Even mothers are advised that they can still breast-feed their babies, without worry of contagion.
Thanks for your reply :)