Hepatitis C Community
dental problems

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

dental problems

Hello fellow heppers, I've done two rounds of treatment and still have hep c. I have needed quite alot of dental work since being diagnosed and treating hep c.Yesterday I was told I have severe gum disease. I'm 42 years old. I'm seeing a periodontist tomorrow. I did a quick web check yesteday and found that there is an association between hep c and dental problems. Can anyone here share some expierence or knowledge on this suject? I was also just diagnosed with hep c related osteoarthritus

Thank you

Giddy up
i had the periodontal disease dx about 4 yrs prior to dx with hepc-never thought about the connection until you mentioned it-very interesting-they had to do some very intensive cleaning even had to graft the bone around some of my back teeth-sounds way worse than it was-nothing at all like the horror stories i had heard-all went very well until the hep c dx, bx & then tx and i prograstinated about going back for cleanings etc-on one side the bone grafts came out during tx-haven't been back yet to see what is involved in fixing these-since your post tho-i'm rethinking my procrastination-i'll be very interested to hear what your dr says in regards to bone damage from the hep or tx-hang in there and take care
i was diagnosed with gum disease about 8 months ago. the dentist told me it was hep c related and i should see a specialist. i have not gone yet. i do not have excessive bleeding or irritation, yet. i did have a crown break but no big deal. when i saw the specialist he said the gum disease wasn't that bad but it will get worse if i don't get it fixed. good luck to you and take care.
In 1992 thru 95 I went to a dental school for my dental work and they could not believe the amount of cavities surfacing each time they saw me, which was frequently. they tested my saliva to see if there was any connection. Nothing. I was thinking about writing them to suggest hep c testing in cases like mine. Teeth fracturing have been part of my life since then, I need about 6,000 bucks worth of work. It is depressing. Just had another extraction from a fractured tooth and need another done. Someone posted here last year about her husband loosing bone mass in the jaw and teeth problems, all related to hep c. Those that keep saying is a slow moving disease, keep this one in mind. Interferon makes things worse also. So IFn finishes what hep c started in many cases. Not too many studies on this one out there at all.
It is good to hear from you once in a while. You guys and Betty, her daughters, and all those of us close to each other need to have a get together at Panera or Pancho Villa or something for the holidays, or shortly after. I hope we do.
If not, have a great one.
About the dentist. I was told and always tell dental workers and anyone in the medical field, including eye doctors. In CT I guess they notified the state before they even notified me in a letter, saying the appropriate state and local health depts have been notified. Actually it was picked up in a detox and they notified the state.
Interestingly shortly after I was  notified my son and I began using the town's dental clinic due to our insurance. I told them I had hep c- well actually in my ignorance about this back then I used the words-I was being treated for hep c. I just thought if the dr knew and we were discussing options it constituted treatment(boy was I wrong). So this past spring I was due for a cleaning and had to make an appt with the extraction guy for some minor work I've needed for years. The hygenist who had been working on me for two years was about to start in and asked how treatment had gone. I told her I wouldn't be starting for a few months (at that time). Wow. She stepped back very upset, took her gloves off and said "I thought you told us you were on treatment. I explained but she told me I would have to come back with a note from my dr saying I was on treatment and that dental work would't be a problem for me. After waiting 2 hrs for the appt I wasn't in a great mood anyways. I looked at her and said "You mean like a hall pass from the teacher in jr high?" and left. I told my doctor who shook his head and said- she's just trying to protect herself. He wrote me a rx to carry that said I'm medically able to have  work done, though I've opted to wait.
As far as dental problems I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Considering all the booze & drugs I'm suprised they aren't falling out. Maybe I keep lucking out cause of the stock I come from. I've mentioned  what a bull my 82yo father can be. He has 7 of 11 siblings still living. The 3 oldest are 90, 93,and 96. The 96 yo worked his farm til about 89. The 90 yr old was a widower in his 70's, remarried at 85, and DIVORCED at 88. Guess she was  slowin' him down.
:)
Thanks for all your comments. At first I thought I was just negligent of my teeth-I did skip brushing some bad days on treatment- but now I feel some is hep c related. I think some of the options are implants, bridges fake teeth  and grafting if the gums are really bad. I'm not sure about treatments and maintenence. I just switched to NYU Dental School since this has been costing thousands and they are half the price. My first dentist I did not tell of hep c since he had very reassuring sterility messages in his office. This time I told them and they didn't seem worried in any way. Cuteus I love Pancho Villas and it would be great to get together there.I guess we'll have to get virgen Margeritas.
Hi, I also have bad teeth and have had lots of dental work.  I don't think the teeth have anything in my case to do with Hep C.  We start to get bad teeth in our 40's.  Esp people who may of had poor nutrition as children, etc.  Gum disease is one of the most common illnesses in this country.  It sucks.  Make sure you get your teeth work done as teeth health is also an indicator of other health.
Sorry you are having all the dental problems. I have heard way too much of this from people completing tx. I think the culprit is the interferon that drys up the saliva which is anti bacterial.  Decay then becomes established easier.  I think interferon also can cause thinning of the bones and therefore teeth.  It has been suggested on this forum to increase your teeth cleaning to every 3 months on treatment

I have bad teeth and gums but believe it to be genetic and related to a lack of floride in the water where I grew up.  Also, as most know, any past history of drug abuse - especially heroin or meth amthetimines can destroy teeth, and that damage may not show up for years.

My dentist just said to floss and brush more often on tx. He  said to suck on sugar free mints or gum to increase saliva. He also said that he uses universal standards for protection -- goggles and gloves - which protect the staff, and he said he did not think you could be turned down for care with Hepatitis C.  The problem is that it makes some doctors and hygenist nervous so they do it anyway.

azgirl -- I find the actions of that old lady nurse to be totally ignorant.  She really should be written up.  I have not told my blood drawers that I have hep C - it should be evident from my charts - but they too use universal protection procedures.

friole
Hello.  Well my husband has hep c and had periodontal disease (and two surgeries prior to discovering that he did, and they say he needs two more eventually), and I have had periodontal surgeries and do not have hep c, so my question would be how do you know if it's related the hep c or just getting older?
I too am noticing dental problems. I have had a tooth chip on me and I've also noticed some discoloration. No matter how often I brush it seems they have this yellow tinge that won't go away. I never noticed any of these problems before tx. There have been times when I was chewing that I bit on something hard and now I'm wondering if it wasn't a tiny piece of tooth that had broken off. I wasn't eating anything hard at the time but the more I think about it the more I wonder what the meds have done to me. I also have noticed symptoms of cryobulimenia(sp.?) Is this something to really worry about or not? All the signs fit...things like bluish/purplish bruise like spots that don't go away, when I get cold my hands hurt so bad and I have numbing and tingling in my feet and hands.  My doc does not seem very concerned but I am and I wonder if it isn't time for a new doc? Never a dull moment on this stuff is there. I am waiting on my bloodwork results to see if I am still undetectable...will let you know as soon as I do. In the meantime, hope you all have a great holiday and hope you all are feeling ok.
I still can't imagen doing 2 rounds on the TX or more, this is ONE TIME ONLY.....
I have alway had bad teeth do to using drugs and I know my teeth have gotten worst since i started the TX.. And i am so ready to have them fix but can't because of the Tx and i figure i will have to wait til at least 6 month after the TX to get them fix..
i have come down with infections in my mouth in the last 3 months that the doc said it yeast infection and I take nystatin mouth wash..  I belive it from my teeth and i brush everyday and use mouth wash too, and lot of it to do with my wbc being low 1.0..
So anybody have this problem tooo infection of the mouth??

Have a Great Day All

Kenny
I am absolutely ASTOUNDED.  Just ASTOUNDED.  How in the world....in this day of not only HCV (I mean maybe you are ignorant of this disease) but also AIDS and other things can any responsible human being just say "oh just blood?"

My GOD that irresponsible woman could get it and contaminate so many, many people somehow!  She should be reported. Sorry but I can't believe it!!!!

VEGAS - anemia under control it seems with the two shots a week.  Don't have my new numbers yet Doc told me just go every two weeks since I've rebounded.  Last time I went up from 9 to 11.1.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No where near "normal" but this is WAY WAY BETTER!!!!!!!!!!  :)

I have not been posting as much but I have been reading hee hee.  You are still a VERY silly little dip aren't you?  And you SOUND really good lately.  Are you feeling good?  :)
get a second opinion, maybe a rheumatologist.
Gotta agree with Kalio, teeth are a weird entity. I know people who have natural protective enzymes that take really pretty bad care of their teeth, and nary a tooth problem. Then others like me, who are really fastitidious about their teeth, I brush after every meal with a sonic care, if I'm out and about I brush anyway with my traveling toothbrush, and floss after "every" meal.

Even if I just drink fruit juice. I go through floss like no one else. Yet, regretably, I still have teeth probs. I'm now paying thousands for root canals, crowns, bonding, you name it. But then I am 52 and the eyes and teeth go first at my age. (Sorry for the visual! he he he.)

It's probably hard to tell how much of the blame lies on the virus, because sometimes when I quiz people on this, they'll tell me it's the virus, yet they'll be in their mid-fifties (which is the age that the teethies are going to start giving probs anyway.) And/or they don't take the best care of their teeth, so many contributing factors. So maybe it's the virus for some, but like anything else, it's multi-factoral and hard to call with some people.

But then chemo-therapy is another consideration, I know from talking to many that that's a big contributor because of the drying effect if gives your body, and when teeth and gums are dry, the bacteria are free to do their job. (Hope people on tx are using mouth moisturizers, anything and everything to help this. Biotene or something stronger, gels, etc. I'd also do a little mouth rinsing with aloe vera juice and water, not to mention just drinking the stuff as well. It's great for keeping moisture in the tissues. Also, no products with any alcohol! A notorious drying agent. Actually, no one should use mouth wash with alcohol because of this, but will they listen to me??? he he he)

And yeah, I've often thought to myself, well, if I start treatment, am I unnecessarily paying for this darn crown on a root canal, when the whole thing will just rot out anyway once I start taking taking treatment? I've heard this from a few people. But I don't want partials so I'm just going ahead with it anyway, and let the teeth fly where they may! Who cares if I could of bought a new car with what I'm paying my dentist!!!

A Public Message from the West Hollywood Tooth Fairy....
Forgot to add, there is the phenomenon of "soft teeth" - what I have that I inherited from my parents. My parents started having major teeth probs before I had, and neither of them have hep c. Just soft teeth that don't fare as well. Maybe I lasted longer with my teeth because I do take really good care of them.

Off the subject, kinda, but I have been hearing rumors that they had been able to synthesize the element in some people who have really good teeth that last a long time...a natural enzyme that scientists have been able to duplicate...but the dental orginizations have squashed the patents on it because it would essentially put dentists out of buisness, or curtail their business greatly. For all you conspiracy theorists out there. he he he.
Nice name :)

I had periodontal surgery 10 years ago, I wouldn't wish that on anyone...It hurt something awful, my cheeks swelled up like a chipmunk and stayed that way for a week!!!

I am not on conventional tx, and just found out I have HCV in May of this year, but I am sure the virus is what caused the dental problems...Since I had the surgery I have been getting cleanings every three months and that works fine, no more problems...

*the dip*

My teeth are beginning to fall apart - but I had read in here that cracking and breaking and cavities and things could be expected.

Going to make an appt and see if my old dentist will take me now that I am "contagious, diseased, infectious" mess that is ME!  

;-)

He better cause the teeth are driving me bonkers.
Hi Debby :)

How you feeling these days?  You go the anemia under control yet?

*dipster*
Hey everyone....I don't have any dental problems and I haven't tx'd yet.  However this did bring up another question.  Do you tell your dentist that you have hep c?  I was going to schedule a cleaning but I have to go to a new dentist because mine left the area but didn't know if I should tell them.  I am inclined to tell everyone but just wanted your thoughts.

Also when I had a hida scan the other day they had trouble getting the iv in my arm and so this really old lady came in and she tried and didn't get it.  When she came in to do it she didn't wear gloves so I told her she should wear gloves and informed her I had hepc.  She said oh that's okay.  Then she wiped my blood with her bare finger.  I asked what the hell are you doing?  I just told you I have hepc.  She said oh it's not that contagious.  I asked for someone else to come in and try since she stuck me 4 times already and the other guy already stuck me twice.  I hate needles ugh....shiver.

deb in az
I have all those problems too.. had perio treatment before I started tx, not ideal, but did not know I was going to accepted on trial & my gums had gotten so bad I could not put it off. It's not that painful these days, they use high pressure water, lots of injections though... my mouth/gums are so much better. The main problem I have had is teeth cracking on tx...
Am 4 mths post tx & have not yet gone to dentist, cracks are getting worse.

There was another post about this recently... the one thing I can recommend is the colgate mouthwash peroxyl, it's great for this sort of thing. helped me immensely... here's a link to the product.

http://www.colgate.com.au/app/Colgate/AU/OralCare/ProductRecommender/Rinse/PDPs.cvsp?product=ColgatePeroxyl
hey y'all...

the reason I know that my problem was HCV related is because of the bone loss...I had a bone density test not o long ago and it came back fine, but after talking to my dentist about my pockets he said if there is bone loss mostt likely it is related to the virus, if not then it's just bad dental hygene....well I am anal about my teeth, after going through the peridontal surgery I got even worse...He also said that implants are not something he could do on me because of the bone loss...if there's nothing to drill those suckers into you can't get em!

just more of my 20 cents worth....have a good day!
First of all I have got to stop reading Kalio's posts.  I seem to say me too! way too often. I have been a regular at dentist 2 x yr for oil change and filter.  Around June, just before TX, went as usual and he said 'boy, you have bone loss'.  Was referred to a perio - haven't gone yet, waiting til after TX!  So, now don't know if it's age, HCV, TX or what.  But it seems like the possible list of signs/symptoms of HCV or tx gets longer every day.  Can't wait til my 'train wreck phase' of life is over. This stuff impacts a lot of us in a lot of ways.  Why can't HCV take something like ear hair and make that fall out?
Yes, looking forward to healing over time and taking my life back.  As it works out last peg night is 1st day of vacation for 2-3 weeks in Dec.  Hope to begin/continue some post-tx and post-hcv lifestyle changes.  HCV-TX, assuming heading to SVR, was a wake-up call that I will not ignore.
Have a good holiday yourself and be well.
yea i have lots of teeth problems too, amazing how many of us are in the same boat...also inherited soft teeth from my da but i think maybe all the years of drugs & drinking didnt help either...my gums bled a bit during tx and i was only on 6 months so i did not have to visit the dentist during tx, but right after i had to get 2 teeth pulled...and yes i told the dentist about the hep, anytime you might bleed around someone you should tell them...
I know I'm beating a dead pony here, but I talked to my dentist the other day and he said you can have even bone loss by the time youre in your late 40's early 50's even without hep c, many can and do. I know they are able to graft on gum for receding gums now, wonder how that effects the bone loss?

Of course years of partying isn't good for the old teefers, but I also think years on not flossing properly could even be even worse. Maybe one of the reasons partying is bad for the teeth is because if you go to bed wiped out high, youre less likely to brush and floss your teeth before bed, so the little bacteria are partying in your mouth so to speak. ha ha! Not good.

And of course, drugs can wreak havoc, anyone's bound to get Jerry Springer mouth if you use powdered drugs cut with god knows what.

I do worry about my teeth on treatment though, but maybe that's the least of it, I hope so. Hair is up there too, I'm ashamed to say.
I have high maintenance teeth too, but I attribute it to genes and bad care in my younger years. Just a young fellow with missaligned priorities - but mostly genes. Could be the Hep too, who knows. I had some bone grafting done, but that gum doc had plenty to keep her busy w/o relying on Hep C  pts, it seemed to me.  

I have not so good teeth to start with, so I'm pretty nervous about starting tx. I have been told by most (incl. my doc) that hair loss seems to be more of a female issue during tx. so let's see now,...........I can expect to go partially bald and probably lose what's left of my teeth. Like I dont have enough self esteeem issues already,.hehehe

lilmoma
I have bad teeth and gums too but my parents had bad teeth. I also never stopped smoking 12 years ago when my gums started to recide- which causes and worsens gum problems... My teeth are also cracked  but so is my husbands and he is 3 years younger than me (I'm 37 ) and hep c negative.... Why couldn't God or mother nature etc... give us a new set of teeth at 40?

BTW if you have any kind of tongue or lip piercing this also can crack the teeth....
I have bad teeth too- in thye last 2 years they've just been falling apart- quite literally. I'll be eating something (or chewing my Big Red gum- perhaps half the problem- ?)and I'll suddenly find a piece of a molar in my mouth. Awful! I've been going to the dentist now that I finally have insurance that covers it. For many years I didn't, and if it was a filling for me or school clothes for the kids... well, guess who won- lol. The little sh*ts gotta have their $70 sneakers y'know! I'm on a medication that some people say is bad for teeth so who knows... but I'm thinking it's more likely the Hep C, plus deep cavities, plus Big Red gum...  sure isn't fun though. I'm afraid tx might render me completely toothless! Oh ya, Forseegood, you're not the only one whose worries about hair loss are high on the list- I think I obsess about losing my hair more than any other sx.
  Azgrl's comment on the nurse with no gloves reminded me of one time when I went to an HIV testing clinic in the city. The nurse there didn't wear gloves either- and where could you find a higher-risk bunch of people than at an HIV testing site? I asked her if it scared her and she replied, no, it's not that easy to catch. Strange, huh? Oh well... just my 2 cents.
-Dee
I'm hanging out with the tooth fairy.

Seriously - I had almost perfect teeth before HCV tx - and during TX I had to have a tooth pulled, some cavaties filled - and they say I'm going to have to keep coming back.

Sigh ---- I like my teeth ---- or did...

Oh well - the chompers have been chomped.

Meki
Ps. Maybe the interferon kills the good bacteria in the mouth that stops cavities?
I will just add to the list, that I have had major tooth problems from the time that I developed HCV.  Tx additionally made the gum and bone loss problems much worse, and I will need Perio surgery in the coming year.  In the past I have needed at least six root canals, and had previously lost teeth due to 'odd' infection, pain, and internal decay.  Fixed bridge work and implants have kept me in fairly good shape, but the perio and bone loss seems to have really gone berserk since my two tx'es.  

Almost everyone that I have ever talked with regarding the dental issues, who have also had HCV, all seem to have the same litany of problems.  After tx most seem to need lots of follow up dental and gum work.  I believe that the disease attacks the teeth through the naturally stimulated autoimmune process (just as it causes a Sjogren's like syndrome in many with HCV), and then that the tx greatly accelerates this autoimmune process, so that gum tissue, bone, and tooth nerves and pulp are under heavy attack by our own system.  I think this best explains these dental issues, as well as the host of other post-tx problems that frequently crop up.  Many are sx that we already had ,to some lesser degree,  before tx, as a result of the HCV infection and immune system process.

The other possibility is that the HCV virus itself actually attacks the tissues (tooth, bone, gum) and cause this syndrome.  This makes LESS sense, since the tx often clears the virus out, and the problems only seem to get worse.  Hence my belief that it is truly an autoimmune issue.

I do not buy the idea that everybody without HCV also develops these same problems in their 40's and 50's.  I know way too many people who have never had HCV who have very healthy teeth.  My dental issues are monumental compared to their history of issues.  How many HCV'ers and Tx'ers have had few dental issues???  I bet there aren't many out there!!

It truly is the HCV, and even more so, the tx, that is to blame.  

It is not a good situation, but I guess it is just one more thing that needs to be dealt with aggressively, so that we do not end up in horrible shape years down the road.

DoubleDose
--I too thought I was out to lunch,thinking that my teeth were and are falling apart because of Hep-c,

But it seems in the last 5 ,6 years, since I had really started to feel poorly with the Hep-c,
That I was way more often at the dreded Dentists,with way more bigger  yeeowieez in my
mouth,,,root canels,,,filling falling out and taking half the tooth with,, teeth getting pulled out,,ic.

It was not very smart of me getting a back tooth pulled out on Wensday,and then starting my TX ,and
first shot on thursday,my cheek is still swollen .............................
My Dentsit also has said I have gum disese (disease)(sp),,,

Like Meki says,,,I had nice strong teeth too,,,,,,,,at one time,.,.,
Oh well I guess there is always implants,,,,lots of $$$$$$$ tho......

See ya ,Gale
You know I have taken a lot of interferon and ribavirin and have had no dental issues whatsoever. I have been going to the same dentist for 27 years and I see him every 3 months for cleanings and exams. Maybe preventative dentistry has insulated me from these types of problems. BTW, my dentist cleans my teeth himself. He says he gets a chance to see what's really going on in there. He is a genius and an artist. Mike
I had some significant gum problems around 15 years ago, due mainly to neglect (skipped a several years of dentistry including teeth cleaning LOL). A couple of operations fixed/tightened up the pockets and since then I've been on a 3-month tooth cleaning schedule like Mike. What a world of difference regular dental care/cleanings/home maintenance made in my case. No gum problems since, including treatment and post treatment. As to "mouth sores", "painful spots etc," I did have some minor flares during tx but nothing post treatment.

-- Jim
Your comments are encouraging to tx'ers, in that maybe there is a way to avoid the dental issues through aggressive dental care etc.  I congratulate you on the solid dental bill of health!  You are fortunate indeed.  I still tend to think you may be the anomaly, and would like to see more responses from the board from those who share similar background stories to yours.  There must be others out there who have had few dental problems, either from the HCV and/or tx.

Maybe you have some pretty powerful genes when it comes to teeth!
Good luck to you, and good to hear from you.  I trust you are enjoying the summer.

While we are on the subject of dental issues, to everyone out there:  What about problems with mouth sores, chronic cheek eruptions, painful spots in the mouth in soft tissues, etc.???

I had some of this before tx, from time to time, but after tx, the mouth sores have been a chronic, and very irritating issue.  Anybody else dealing with these problems after tx?

DoubleDose
I have had significant gum problems for MANY years too.

During treatment every cavity I had became a root canal and a few of my teeth actually broke teeth with fillings without fillings...  Interferon just eats them alive and made it SO much worse..

That is why the doctors advise us to take care of our dental problems asap.

I had severe mouth sores during TX. My tongue was terribly sore. I couldn't even think of eating a saltine cracker because it was too abrasive. And the insides of my cheeks would feel as if they were ulcerated and they very well may have been. But, those things resolved soon after I stopped TX and have not resurfaced. Mike
I went to the dentist for a cavity about 3 wks ago, a few weeks later I was back in to have another one filled right in front of the last one.  Had just had x rays last march and was clean, 3-4 months later I am looking at 2 possible root canals, a crown and a few more small cavitied filled.

I went to another dentist, a well repsected USC grad here in the state.  He said that he sees this often with folks on chemo and the like.  Said that if before starting treatment you have "soft spots" on your teeth (those white blotchy marks) they are likely to turn into cavities while on treatment.  One suggestions was that when our mouths dry up, (and boy did mine ever in the beginning) we lose the protective enzymes in the saliva and our teeth deteriorate faster.  Very common he said.  

So he gave me samplers of a Biotene product for dry mouth.  (gum, mouthwash, toothpaste).  He also suggested I start using the mouthwash ACT and the flouride gel called Gel-Kam both OTC.  That later two to help build the protective coating on the teeth.

I talked with my hepatologist about tooth decay being a possible side effect.  He didn't think it was but I beg to differ.

Good luck all.
peace
why is my post from November here
giddy -- Not just November - but November 05. Apparently you can bring back an old post by commenting on that post.  However, you can only then see the post if you have your computer set to "last post" rather than "date started."  I keep mine on "date started" but switched over to see what was currently being posted on.  Interesting.  So how are your teeth nearly 2 years later?

My teeth are no worse for the 56 weeks of tx.  I have bad teeth and bad gums but go to the dentist every 4 months and have had major bridges, rootcanals and crown work done pre tx.  I had a couple of crwons done post tx, but they had been on the planning board for a few years.  I think going to the dentist frequently during tx is crucial and keeping you mouth salivated is important.

frijole
What a nice thread to bring back. Where the heck have some of the Vets gone? I wish them well. Has Jim gone?
Hi, its me Whoaisme..Giddyup has spent  a lot of time at the dentist in the last two years and they have practically redone  his whole mouth..lots of root canals, bridges, crowns and who knows what else. he was seeing the dentist once a week for about a year...but he is nearing the final work..front teeth ! yeah! when they first saw him they suggested just pulling them all, and were talking about gum grafts and implants. they were able to save more than they thought so thats good. the key, aside from regular checkups seems to be to keep the saliva moving. the year on the daily infergen really took its toll. Our suggestion now to all new heppers on treatment..chew gum..sugarless (the dentist recommended Orbitz) all day and night as many hours as you can.24 if possible..and a good flouride rinse. whoaisme
ITS BECAUSE OF THE VIRUS STUPID!!!

i had severe gum and periodontal problems in my short 4 year HCV infection.
my gums used to bleed 24/7 just like that.

one summer, i touched my newly developing wisdom tooth a couple of times with my finger.  guess what?  my cheek becamse infected and i took vibramycin, and it FAILED to kill the infection.  then i took CEPHLAXIN, which gave me diarrhea and intense jabbing liver area pain.  

a few months later, my front top gums filled with pus.  just like that.  and antibiotics didnt work.  then it would go away.  and come again.  antibiotics just stopped working.

next summer i was diagonsed with HCV.  treatment improved my gum condition and bleeding almost stopped.  now it has come back a bit post treatment, though not nearly as bad as pre tx.  i hope i'm not relapsing.
  Treatment affects our blood levels. Blood is made in our bones. If tx can make our bones ache can't it also affect our teeth? I don't know yet whether it helped or not, but I ate lots of yogurt. Maybe our cravings for icecream is our bodies wanting more calcium.  I wish there was more information about what, nutritionally, tx and HCV takes from our bodies.
Throughout therapy every single cavity I did started to be a main channel and a few connected with our teeth actually broke teeth together with fillings with out fillings... Interferon just eats these in existence as well as achieved it A whole lot more painful..

This is why the particular health professionals guide us to deal with our dentist issues immediately.
When you mouth gets dry you are more likely to get tooth decay and gum disease.  When on treatment you shouldn't over brush your teeth.  It will cause them to bleed and become sore.  This only adding to the problem.
There are mouth washes like biotene that can help with germs and keeping your mouth moist.