Hepatitis C Community
grade 1 stage 2

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

grade 1 stage 2

My husband has Grade 1, Stage 2 after biopsy results. He has decided not to treat with interferon but with Lortab and alcohol. Anybody got a suggestion. Do you know of anyone doing this?
Lortab and alcohol?  That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Stage 2 indicates he has moderate damage but time to wait to treat as long as he is being monitored by his doctor.  Alcohol and Lortab -  lets see now.  Alcohol accelerates liver disease and Lortab contains acetophenamine which taken in high dosages can destroy your liver and potentially kill you.  Not to mention Lortab is addictive and taken with alcohol can be fatal.  So, what we have here is someone who is going to feel real good -  all warm and fuzzy but accelerating liver disease and risking the chance of death.  No logic to that at all.  The only cure available now is peg interferon and ribavirin.  Your husband is clueless and needs to research his options.  Start with Janis7hepc.com and READ.  
To answer your question directly, NO, I know of no one who is treating with alcohol and interferon.  Avoiding reality maybe, but no treating.
Good Luck and tell him to educate himself immediately.
Trinity
Correction:  I know of no one who is treating with alcohol and LORTAB.
My suggestion is that he get into Rehab or stop dikking around.  This is a serious disease and he will speed up the progression of it if he doesn't quit playing with fire.  I was diagnosed as a stage 1, grade 1 to focally 2 in June 2005.  That is after becoming toxic in late 2002 while using dope, not too different what he's doing.  I'm gonna go out of my way here and tell you what I was doing, I was doing vicodin and heroin and valium.  Granted I was seeing a GI who doesn't want to treat me b/c of my past addiction, but that's a whole 'nother story.  In my case my cytocrome p450 is all out of whack, that's the system that handles the purification and distribution of all the pills and other forms of abuse we recovering drug addicts used to put in our bodies.  I've had serious problems in seeing a doctor who had my best interest in mind.  Trust me, stage and grade only tells part of the story, that's all I can say.  The top link is about how opiates replicate the hcv virus and the second link is on the p450 system.  Tell your hubby he's gonna have to get real at some point.  
His doctor could be right and he may be able to put off tx for awhile, all I know is if he keeps it up he will have to tx sooner rather than later and I really don't think he wants to do that.  Good Luck

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1603777

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980101ap/cupp.html
Maybe you should arrange a visit to the local hospital to see what end stage is like. Spend a few hours, first you notice the smell, then you see why it smells.

If that won't change him then I would not watch the smell grow.

Harry
This must be a joke - it's the only thing that makes any sense.  A kid home from school messing around with people on a forum that's all.

Nobody could be that dense.
"This must be a joke - it's the only thing that makes any sense.
Nobody could be that dense."

I agree nygirl7...
after looking   Pfuqua's profile, says he is male. Yet he talks about his husband in his post.

Leaves me confused or at the least, with an image of a non typical marriage.

More than likely this thread is total BS,
Most here are trying to understand HvC to the best of our ability.
This is absurd and an insult to all us with hep c, imo.
I think that Pfuqua has a pretty good point here.  Lortab and alcohol, in the right doses and frequency, could probably resolve hepatitis-c.  I can see the titile of the movie now, "Leaving Columbiana"