Hepatitis C Community
high tryglycerides and LDL cholesterol

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

high tryglycerides and LDL cholesterol

Hi everyone,

I have not been on this site for a long time, but I just got my lab test results after 24 weeks for G2b
and am still undetectable, which is great news. Do I wait 3 months and the 6 months for blood work to see if I am
totally SVR?

I haver one concern, my triglyceridea are very high at 565, usually I am at 120 or lower.

Could the interferon and ribavirin have caused this?

Also , how long till the medication gets out of the system?

Please reply if you can help

Thanks,

Mick
Hi Mick--

Congratulations on completing your treatment. SVR is officially declared at six months post treatment if you continue to remain undetectable for virus. A three month test is highly predictive for this, but the six month test is still a requirement. As you’re probably aware, genotype 2 patients are successful roughly 90% of the time. Good luck, by the way.

You should discuss the lipid results with your doctor soon. Triglycerides above 500 can cause short term problems; my GI doc was concerned when mine approached 350; he said high elevations can trigger spontaneous pancreatitis; it’s supposedly very painful, among other things. When my triglycerides were elevated, the doctor ordered me to take omega 3 fish oil supplements… I asked for how long, and his response was for life.

Best to you—

Bill
My husband also had high triglycerides (424) about 8 months after starting treatment (he's a geno 1, still treating), and he was advised to lay off the sugar and take about 2000 mg of omega 3 fish oil daily, like Bill1954.  
As far as the high LDL, my husband has been taking a statin for a number of years as well as keeping to a low-fat/low-cholesterol diet as much as possible.  Hope that helps, and good luck.
~eureka
yes the tx drugs can push you into diebetic (diabetic) territory and high tryglycerides are an indicator that is happening.

for best assessment you need to have a HOMA calculation. If you are on tx the A1C will not be accurate. Get a fasting insulin and glucose test, and then we will help you do a HOMA calculation unless your doctor knows how..this is to determine if you have become type 2 diebetic (diabetic) (insulin resistant) IR.

PM me for more info.