Hepatitis C Community
sex and hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

sex and hep c

well unprotected sex that is. my ex and i saw each other a few months ago and had sex but did not use any protection.Few months later, I took some blood tests which came back with low platelets count and of course a hep c active. In any case, I emailed him to explain the situation and to tell him to get tested. I know my ex. He is rather the type that will or could completely freak out. Since I take responsibilty for putting him in this situation, i wanted to help as much as possible to deal with the stress of waiting for results... Do you know of any good site or research in regards to hep c and sexual intercourse that could actually help him in understanding the virus but also give him hopefully a little bit of peace of mind.  in advance, thank you.
Chances are very low that he would get hepatitis c from you. Couples that have been together for 20 years don't pass the virus. Unless you were both bleeding.

"Since I take responsibilty for putting him in this situation" Any person who has sexual relationships should take responsibility for their their own protection at all times and practice safeR sex. Unless you know for a fact that you were infected with HCV after you knew him, you were probably having sex while being infected anyway and it was up to both of you to practice safeR sex.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/sexFAQ.pdf

"What are the chances of spreading or getting HCV through sex?

The answer to that question is very complicated. There is a lot of confusion as to how hepatitis C is transmitted sexually.  First of all, it can be transmitted sexually but the information we have now tells us that it doesn’t happen very often, especially in long-term monogamous straight relationships, where, if anything, it is considered uncommon.  The important thing to remember is that hepatitis C is spread by direct blood-to-blood contact.

It means that in order to transmit or become infected with hepatitis C, HCV-infected blood must get into one bloodstream from another.  The most common ways you can get hepatitis C are from sharing needles and the stuff you use to inject drugs (needles,
cookers, cotton, ties, water, etc.).  The other common ways you can get hepatitis C are from a blood product and/or a blood transfusion you received before 1992.  People who undergo hemodialysis treatments (blood filtering) are also at risk.  Less common ways that HCV is transmitted are from an HCV positive mother who can pass it on to her baby,
but this doesn’t happen very often.  The ways that hepatitis C can be transmitted that don’t happen very often include sexual transmission, tattoos, piercings, straws to snort drugs and sharing hygiene items such as toothbrushes and razor blades."

Good luck!
hectorsf
good evening Hector and thank you for the feedback. I will pass on the info to him hoping it can help a bit... No i did not know of course about it back then. I must say that this is still mind buggling at times to think I could have infected him... the last few weeks are mind buggling actually... What a ride :)
My sister has been married to a man with hep c for several years now and she still does not have it. hep c is a blood to blood virus. hope you can set his mind at ease just knowing that.
Read this here is the Holy Grail of sexual transmission studies

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v99/n5/full/ajg2004164a.html
Check out the HCV Advocate web site. There's lots of info for both of you.

Diane
And I have been married to my husband for 24 years and he doesnt have it either  !!!! cindy
Thank you all for the feedback. I just got an email from my ex and sure enough the water was not cold but frozen... i just got an ice shower... to be expected... i sent the article that James has recommended (Thank you James). I did what I had to do. and thank you again to all for the support and the info. Have a great night,

nikita
When he asks you about the two people in the study who got it make sure he understands they didn't get it from their partner. As the genotypes are not the same as their partner. Thus they got it from another source.

Good luck
Thank you James, agaib. I thought it was clear in the article that due to different genotypes, the partner must have gotten it from somewhere else. BTW if one individual has a hep c genotype that differs from his or her partner, does it always mean that they did not spread hep c to one another and rather must have contracted the virus from different places?
PS. I doubt I will hear from him again or if I do it is because he wants to sue me or somethin...
"BTW if one individual has a hep c genotype that differs from his or her partner, does it always mean that they did not spread hep c to one another and rather must have contracted the virus from different places? "

Yes this is correct infect someone with the genotype that you have.
meant to say
Yes this is correct you can only infect someone with the genotype that you have.
- Dave
Since you had sex together and it was unprotected I would say the "blame" is pretty shared.
why blame?
In addition, a person can have more than one genotype.  There are a few people here with 1A and 1B and at least one other with 1 and 2.
ive been with my wife for fifteen years. i was diagnosed in last year.she was tested last month and does not have the virus.i still jump her bones on a regular basis if thats any help
+1 Ribman

18 years for us.  I've actually never heard anyone in a Hep C forum having infected someone sexually.
...Thank you for the feedback Mary... But I cant really answer you except I am not surprised of his reaction. I knew it prior telling him. :)
thank you for the cute and honest feedback :)
flguy thanks again for your input. wonder if being two genotypes can be tougher on treating? i would assume so... Can u be a gt 1 and gt 3 or is it just the subtype? i had no idea this could be... by the way. so can u give ur partner one of the two or both? anyway thanks again...
Yes you can have two but because G1 is usually tougher to treat they will just defer to that geno and treat for 48 weeks rather than 24 for g3.  It's more common than you think

I was a g1a g1b which is just two subtypes but the same concept.........
Thank you very much nygirl for your answer. Wishing all a great day,

nikita