unable to do triple therapy trial
Hi have been reading this forum now since 2005,(posted a few things back then ). Im genotype 1, went through therapy in 2005 unfortunately with no success. My liver biopsy was F3 then. Last week my hepatologist referred me to a public hospital as they were starting trials (treatment for triple therapy is still not available in AustraliaI) I got very excited as I thought yes I'm going to beat this disease before it bets me.Every thing was going along nicely until he asked what my platelets were, they hover around 60 to 80. Unfortunately was unable to do the trial. He did say there will be new treatments in the new year, can anyone please tell me something about these new drugs. I really enjoy this forum it's very informative
susie, I am so sorry you were ineligible for the trial.  Keep looking.  When are they going to approve the PIs in Australia?  Seems like it is taking a long time.  Will you try the triple then?  I treated in 2005 but sorry, don't recognize your name.
frijole
Hi Frijole, I was on this forum when it was a different format, I stopped posting when I didn't clear as I was a bit down. Changed Jobs travelled a bit, only started reading all your wonderful comments again when I developed early stage cirrhosis.
As for the Pls being released in Aus... Our FDA would like it approved but our government is trying to point score and get our countries surplus back into the black, so they are not approving any new meds at this stage.
But as soon as they do approve I'll be the first to line up!!!
sorry to hear you did not make it into the trial.  i am also experiencing cirrhosis and am treating with telaprevir.  i recently found out i was undetected after 4 weeks of triple therapy.  i hope the new drugs get approved quickly 'down under."
blessings
eric
susie
that must mean your treatment is all federally supported and they cannot afford the new drugs.  Well, that is terrible.  There were several Aussies treating back in 05 and for awhile I participated in an Aussie foum.

I guess all you can do is stay on top of this and line up at the door after approval.  That is basically what I did.
frijole
My advice would be, that you should try again to raise somehow your platelet count. Try with some rescue drugs, on your own. Maybe it is not the best way, but, I would do everything to get into the trial.
Thanks everyone for your feedback. By the way I asked the Specialist if there was any thing I could do to get my platelets up so I could at lest get on the trial unfortunately the answer was no. I'll take your advise Frijole and be the first knocking at that door when they are approved.
Wishing you the best.  Hang in there.  Hard to believe they wont approve the drug because of the money.  What about the PEOPLE!!  
I say my specialist this morning at the Alfred hospital in Melbourne, l had been a a triple combo trial, (unsuccessful for me) and n the course3 of our conversation iwas told that the new drugs as in teleprevir could be accessed by doctor request and that they were already considered SOC treatment. You need to start asking around because l do think you can access these drugs without having to be in a trial.
Hi almawe, the specialist did say he could try and apply to the drug company for compassonate grounds,but he did say he  didn't like my chances as the drug companys are footing the bill. As yet the triple therapy  has not been approved by the Government, maybe you can get it through a private script,not really sure about that but maybe its worth looking into in the near future. thanks for your reply.