Hepatitis C Community
unbelievably itchy skin!!! any suggestions??

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi ... I'm on treatment for Hep C, just got off of Incivek / Telapravir. On Ribavarin, Interferon and Procrit. Went to ER twice because my skin is incredibly itchy (all over body) with no rash. On Benadryl & prescription strength antihistamine, cortisone cream, benadryl cream. Not help much at all! going mad!!!! does anyone know of anything that will provide some relief? Thanks!!
I started with lotions and creams and that made it worse, my rash looked like chicken pox or the measles so I treated it with gold bond medicated body powder gold bottle with red cap. Took about a week but the rash is now gone, you might want to give that a try....
thanks,will try anything at this point...but no rash (only where I scratch). The doc thinks its the ribavirin side effect
Search the archives.. A bunch of us all had itches n there are a ton of good remedies we shared. Makes u crazy!!!! I've had 2 itchy nights since finishing incivik. Hoping it's not RIBA... Good luck. Karen :) I'd post my remedies again but Lasix makes me drowsy. Feet up nap time.
i don't have a rash or itch...sometimes my skin feels sensitive and i put baby oil and so far it is ok.    i think drinking water helps.   hope you feel better.   ginger
Oatmeal based soaps and cool baths can help.
Avoid any scented products.
Wear silk or soft cotton.
I wish my scalp would stop itching. Done with incivek so it's the riba. I guess that's a good sign. Maybe it's telling me the drug is working.
Be sure to avoid hot showers, sun, heat, sweating, since this will aggravate the itchies.  As mentioned, drinking plenty of water will help to keep the skin hydrated.  

If the things you've already done don't seem to be helping, it sounds like a trip to the dermatologist is in order if your doctor can't assist you.  You don't want this to get further out of control, since it could be a game changer.  I've read on the forum that atarax helps, but you need to discuss this with your doctor.  Good luck.
I was having itching episodes drinking water all day helps a lot.  If the itching starts I drink some as soon as I can.  I cut down on energy drinks and substituted water.  Best of luck!!
I found some sunburn gel called Ocean Potion and it worked great. I told my Dr about my discovery and she called the company. They sent her 2 cases of the stuff, and so far she said everybody thats using it is quite pleased. I got it at walmart, you might have to go to the wallmart website to get it now as the sunburn season is over. I too have the itch some but not like I did on inc. I'm @ wk 16.
i get real itchy when i don't drink enough water.  you have to drink LOTS of water.  good luck.  belle
forgot to mention i also use gold bond lotion, green container with the red cap.  it's the best i've found.  belle
I've been using Eucerine anti-itch, and also the Gold Bond lotion (green lotion) -- and definitely drinking water helps... but I'm still itchy and there's a rash on my arms that comes and goes (it's here now, tho)...

Also, I have beautiful aloe plants, and having been using that, too... it's a bit messy, but works... :)

I just started week six (with INC), and am UND at 4 weeks... yea!
I havent been through treatment but had unbelevable itch which is how I found out about my infection, I tried everything stated above and couldnt get relief. I finaly on one night of scratching and researching found colestyramine, it is a colesteral drug but it is also effective against puritus (itch) due to liver problems. I asked my Dr. if we could try it and it worked in 2 hrs. It is a bile acid binder and binds all sorts of stuff so you need to be aware of meds and stuff, take it at least 4 hrs after any meds and it takes vitamins out of your system as well so be aware of this. Also it is a dry fine sand powder and has to be mixed with water and drank, mix it well!!! it is not plesant to drink a chunk of. eat bran flakes to get the bulk up in your movements as well as it can get quite solid if you are not eating alot. i dont know if this will work with the riba rash I have read about but it is cheap and I hope as i am going to start treatment within a few weeks and would like to know if you tried this.