Hepatitis Social Community
Mother pasted HepC during child birth

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Mother pasted HepC during child birth

I just wonder if there were. Any women that passed their hep 2 there child during broth, I feel like a piece of crap that my son. Has 2 live w this,I luv my son wish this I could change 4 him
  Are you saying that you did pass it on to your son, or that you dont know if you did or not?
  I have 4 children, but only my 21 yr old daughter has been tested, and she was negative.  I have one older son (age 30 yrs) who hasn't been tested yet, and I know he worries I may have passed it to him, becuz he mentioned it once, cuz he used my razor. I havent had my 11 and 13 yr old tested yet, because there are new meds coming out, within the next few yrs, that are much easier (less side effects) then what is currently available.
  It takes 20 yrs for Hep C symptoms to manifest, so I do need to have "a talk" with my 30 yr old...but he gets very volatile about manysubjects,and I know he is still angry with me about my ****** past: I had him when I was 20 yrs old, and went back to drinking and drugging, and didn't quit until he was 14 yrs old...I know, horrible.
   We all make mistakes, and I cant control the past, just the present and the future.  Speaking of the future, there is even a study out right now, where "the cure" consists of one shot. I hope that one works out!
It takes 20 yrs for Hep C symptoms to manifest,
-------------------------
I find this statement ..interesting
I'd suggest that you reconsider having your children tested. Chronic Hep C infection is associated with several extra-hepatic disorders and in my opinion there is more to be concerned about than just the health of the liver. Diabetes is 3 times more likely in patients infected with HCV. Non-Hogkins Lymphoma is another associated disease.

"Abstract

There is ample epidemiologic evidence for an association of chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection with B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (B-NHL). B-NHL subtypes most frequently associated with HCV are marginal zone lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. The most convincing evidence for a causal relationship between HCV infection and lymphoma development is the observation of B-NHL regression after HCV eradication by antiviral therapy (AVT). In fact, for indolent HCV-associated B-NHL, first-line AVT instead of standard immune-chemotherapy might be considered. Molecular mechanisms of HCV-NHL development are still poorly understood. Three general theories have emerged to understand the HCV-induced lymphomagenesis: (1) continuous external stimulation of lymphocyte receptors by viral antigens and consecutive proliferation; (2) HCV replication in B cells with oncogenic effect mediated by intracellular viral proteins; (3) permanent B-cell damage, e.g., mutation of tumor suppressor genes, caused by a transiently intracellular virus ("hit and run" theory). This review systematically summarizes the data on epidemiology, interventional studies, and molecular mechanisms of HCV-associated B-NHL.

http://www.medicinenet.com/hepatitis_c/page6.htm

The children of infected mothers are advised to get tested. For instance, if your child knew that he/she was infected it might be easier to impress on him/her the need for abstinence from alcohol. That alone could be very significant.

I simply see no upside in delaying testing your children. Hopefully they'll be clear but, if not, it's a lot better to know sooner rather than later.

Mike

Just to add to what Mike has posted

It is only recently that "Extra hepatic Manifestations "(other than the liver) are coming to light from having HCV.
It is not always "only "what fibrosis stage one has that may be factered into when may be the best time  to treat.

/emedicine.medscape.com/article/177792-clinical

Symptoms often first develop as clinical findings of extrahepatic manifestations of HCV and most commonly involve the joints, muscle, and skin. In a large study of the extrahepatic manifestations of HCV, 74% of medical workers with HCV infection demonstrated extrahepatic manifestations.[27] The most commonly occurring extrahepatic manifestations were as follows:

Arthralgias (23%)
Paresthesias (17%)
Myalgias (15%)
Pruritus (15%)
Sicca syndrome (11%)
In addition, sensory neuropathy has been reported as an extrahepatic manifestation in 9% of patients with HCV infection.[28] Risk factors for manifestations of extrahepatic chronic hepatitis C infection include advanced age, female sex, and liver fibrosis.

Yes, I should of said liver scarring symptoms~
this is from the CDC website:
What are the long-term effects of Hepatitis C?
Of every 100 people infected with the Hepatitis C virus, about
75–85 people will develop chronic Hepatitis C virus infection; of those,
60–70 people will go on to develop chronic liver disease
5–20 people will go on to develop cirrhosis over a period of 20–30 years
1–5 people will die from cirrhosis or liver cancer
  Thanks, Mike. But I don't think they Treat children,who are without symptoms, with the current Triple treatment.
  I was thinking to get them tested in their teens, and if they test positive, to have them Treat with 2nd generation PI's, which should be available in a couple years hopefully.
  If our Family Practice had suggested it, I definitely would have gotten them tested.. They have known of my Hep C, for the last 20 some odd yrs, and suggested we test my daughter at age 16 yrs, which we did.(she was negative for-)
  If my children were showing any symptoms, which were indicative of Hep C or NHL, I would most definitely get them tested, asap. They dont play contact sports in school, so that is not a concern, either.

" I havent had my 11 and 13 yr old tested yet, because there are new meds coming out, within the next few yrs, that are much easier (less side effects) then what is currently available."
"  I was thinking to get them tested in their teens, and if they test positive, to have them Treat with 2nd generation PI's, which should be available in a couple years hopefully. "

I don't know why you have to wait for new meds to come out.
It's just a simple blood test that will give you and your 2 youngest the answer once and for all.

I'm getting a little tired of these over the top, spurious and pulled out of a hat comments that seem to be proliferating lately. Not just by you, but there are others.
It's just not true that

" It takes 20 yrs for Hep C symptoms to manifest".

It may take 20 years from infection to symptomatic liver disease, which is very different.

"Hepatitis C infection is rarely diagnosed in its early stages. It is often not recognized until its chronic stages, when it has caused severe liver disease. Hepatitis C infection is often referred to as the “the Silent Epidemic,” because a typical cycle of the disease from infection to symptomatic liver disease may take as long as 20 years."

It MAY take as long as 20 years, it may take longer. Or it may take much less than 20 years.

Read more: Viral Hepatitis: Hepatitis C: The Silent Killer | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/cig/dangerous-diseases-epidemics/hepatitis-c-silent-killer.html#ixzz2bSFTug8S
  I'm not sure it would benefit a child, from a psychological stand-point, to
begin their Middle School yrs with the knowledge that they have the Hep C virus, Asle?
  Can you explain to me why you feel it to be necessary for us to know now, rather when they are a bit older, say..16 yrs old?  If testing for all people became mandatory, and a law, then I would do so.
  When HIV first came out, Activists fought hard for the rights of people who were suffering with that virus, to avoid situations where discrimination could crop up.  The Hep C community hasn't grouped together and organized as strongly~

This forum can be awesome at times...and others its just sad. People will make mistakes in there posts.....it happens...but why do threads have to get off topic so people can play MH censor. It doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah, I know....its about the "integrity" of the forum....but what about those newly diagnosed people scared to post because they are afraid they will say the wrong thing and get corrected....harshly.  It took me almost a year to finally get the guts to post a question because of that reason...so what if someone knows more than the next person...what about those folks who no NOTHING.

Heres the OP's question

"I just wonder if there were. Any women that passed their hep 2 there child during broth, I feel like a piece of crap that my son. Has 2 live w this,I luv my son wish this I could change 4 him"

I myself have no clue what the answer is. But hopefully someone will come along and help this lady out without all the "EXTRAS"
Excuse me.
No, I am not a mother who passed their HCV to a child but I saw something that I thought was important so I posted.
Apparently you also thought you had something important to say which wasn't responsive to the OP.

"....but why do threads have to get off topic so people can play MH censor...."

"Censor"? That is precisely what you appear to be playing.

Mike
  Well, I hope we didn't scare off the OP because I would like to let her know that it is possible for her to change, for her son, and would like to support her with that decision.

If we cannot have differences of opinion and have the freedom to challenge the accuracy of information and the soundness of advice without scaring a new member off then this board is not what it should be. Though compassion and support are crucial, even more important, in my opinion, is accurate information and sound advice
------------------------
Yes this means of transmission can and has happened albeit rarely (approx 6% and somewhat greater in those co-infected with HIV(below)

Hopfully you find this article useful and if your son Does have HCV the future looks very promising in HCV therapy

Best to you ...
Will

..http://www.adhb.govt.nz/newborn/guidelines/Infection/HepatitisC.htm

Vertical Transmission
Infrequent (as opposed to vertical transmission of Hepatitis B in the pre-vaccine era).
Rate approximately 6% in HCV viraemic, non-HIV infected mothers. May increase to ~ 15% in HIV positive mothers.
Majority of infant infections probably acquired during exposure to infectious blood at delivery (infants not viraemic until several weeks post-delivery). However, there are no convincing studies at this time demonstrating that Caesarean section should be recommended.
Transmission from breast milk has not been documented, although virus RNA can be found in breast milk. Currently there are no recommendations concerning breast feeding by HCV positive mothers. This should be discussed with the women but breast feeding is not contraindicated.

Also there are a couple of members here who have had children with HCV

They do not post often ,however hopfully they see your thread and respond

again   best of luck..
Will

Mike...keep those fins strong
Which one of you is a women who passed on Hepatitis C to their child during birth was your question?

Apparently, none!  I'm so sorry for your pain.  It must be very difficult to deal with.  Hepatitis C treatment is getting better and better.  Your son is still young and there is currently treatment for hepatitis C.  The best thing you can do for your son is stay health and both of you see a doctor about your Hepatitis C.   Please ask questions.  I will try to do my best to answer all of them.  

A Mother
Im just going to a$$ume here (which I will probably be chastised for not siting my sources) that the OP may not know what "HCV-induced lymphomagenesis" is or what "mutation of tumor suppressor genes, caused by a transiently intracellular virus" is. She was simply asking "was there any women that passed HCV to there children"....and was looking for support.

Your definitely entitled to write whatever you want and challenge whatever data you feel inaccurate.... as Im entitled to point out that your argument has nothing to do with the OP's question. Sorry if my statement of being a MH censor sounded hypocritical....maybe my choice of words wasn't right....my bad.
Boce girl , simply not true , taking 20 years to manifest .
Not one bit. Im not here to argue, but this statement is false.

I am a mother who did not pass HCV , rather Hemophilia to my son
in turn, through blood products in the early eighties he got HCV.
My brother also got Aids, HCV, HPV, also hemophiliac.

My brother suffered greatly, managed as well as possible, died in my arms.
He was Thirty.

My son died at 26 from HCV.  He could have treated his Junior year
but he elected not to.  I wish he would have. Maybe he would still be here.
He had symptoms early on, I just did not know right away . He was tired a lot for a child and young adult and was itching forever. These are just a few.

Please, no harm done to get a blood test, you need to know if nothing else
to protect other children from possible exposure.Though hard to get , unless blood to blood. it is possible with crazy things children do.

Yes , I spread the word to schools, etc..... since my son would bleed internally and externally at the drop of a hat, I had the responsibility to keep my daughter and other children safe.  Once my son was old enough he knew, not to fool around with blood, to,clean up etc.

In addition, other things can happen not just the liver.
Good luck to you, and your children .  
Please everyone needs to be tested!!!! it is THAT IMPORTANT
  Thank you for sharing your story with me, and I am so very sorry for your losses, both brother and son, words cannot express, of course.
   I didn't have Hep C, when I gave birth to my now 30 yr old, be he did mention that he used my razor once, so I need to have another conversation with him, concerning how he needs to go and get tested, I have kept him updated on my Tx and subsequent SVR status, and his step-dad has just now finished a much easier Tx, so I need to broach the subject again.
   I do bring the younger two children to my Hep C Support Group, where my Tx Doctor leads a very educational seminar, about subjects such as Hep C transmission, so they are aware not to share things like finger-nail clippers, razors, or any blood swapping dare-devil stunts, such as "blood-brothers" finger prick.
   I am planning on getting them tested, in the near future, and I feel that everybody should have a Hep C Antibody test, say, every 6 yrs. The test is inexpensive, and we have clinics here in NorCal, that give a free Hep C antibody test.

Hello I was wanting 2 talk bout telling the schools, my sons hep Dr said up 2 us parents 2 tell, he said lots people dnt think the right stuff bout it, I got my son test asap  so we'd  know, but only like 4 people in our life know, I dnt want my son treated wrong cuz something I did, life is crazy enuff, I'm sry 4 ur lose, as soon as he can n treated & his Dr say we r gonna treat it will b a while since he is only 3,
My kids were tested as soon as I was diagnosed and neither of them has it.

Although it's understandable to feel bad if you passed it on to another person, if you weren't aware that you had it, well then you are simply making yourself feel bad about something that cannot be changed.

I think it's important to test them, simply for their medical records.
BO:  Don't you think you should know if they had an accident, for example?
Hi OH, BO here~ (heh)
I did a tad bit of research, and found this study to be interesting:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2151778/

Conclusion
Most children chronically infected with HCV are asymptomatic and present only mild biochemical evidence of hepatic injury. Spontaneous clearing of the virus occurs occasionally. Autoantibodies are common in HCV patients. The natural history of chronic hepatitis C in children differs from that in adults since HCV infection is relatively benign, induces mild changes in the liver with a low level of fibrosis and a low rate of progression and is rarely associated with severe or decompensate liver disease.

I think I will get a CBC and a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel on them
though...good looking out, Oh.  If something abnormal comes up, I will have them tested.  I can definitely see the 12 wk Sofosbuvir Tx very doable, for a  teen. But I am glad the chance is only 6%.
   I went to a High Risk O.B., for my last 3 pregs, after finding out I was Hep C positive. The births were very healthy, no cuts on the babies, etc, although it is still a mystery how Hep C is transmitted maternally.
   This is a large Forum, full of Hep C pos Moms...anybody else here planning on having their children tested?

i've had 2 boys while i had hep c and neither one of them have it.  thank god.  belle
I was diagnosed in 2009. I have  2 sons aged 13 and 10 at the time.  I had them tested right away.  My 13 year old tested + AB.  they could not get a VL or Genotype.  My 10 year old tested Neg AB. Believe me, I was horrified at the time all this was happening.  I felt so bad about it.  But I never intentionally did anything to hurt anyone.  If anyone should feel bad about people dying from HCV it should be our Government, insurance companies and the medical doctors for not giving us the option when they knew it was out there but ignored it and were just plain ignorant about it. Unbelievably   A lot of them still are. and so is the public in general.  
I did not do the followup 6 months later which they recommended to me to have them both retested.   My oldest   he is 17 now and I am going to have him retested in 2014.  He is a senior in  highschool this year.  There was no recommended treatment at the time anyway for someone under 18.  Depending on the individual child, I believe there can be a tremendous negative phycological effect to know that you do have a communicable disease at that age.  Especially one like HCV.  Im going with he doesnt have it for now but he knows to act like he does as far as sharing personal things etc.  He knows not to share anyway regardless.  Also if he bleeds to be careful not to let anyone get into it. He should do that anyway regardless.  everyone in my family follows those rules now. Everyone should follow those rules.  About knowing if you are in an accident or something, the medical community treats everyone like they are pos for everything.   I dont know if I exposed my son to HCV.  He has had one surgery for tonsil removal.  But it is a coincidence isnt it?  I asked my OB doc to test me for anything that could be passed to my son from me.  17 year old was born in 1996 by cesarean after 19 hours of labor. He had a scrape on his head from trying to get into the world.  the AB testing was available when I got preg in 95.    My doc is dead now so I cant ask him why I wasnt tested for that when I was tested for everything else under the sun.  My youngest son was planned cesarean and was not exposed as much maybe.   It is a scary thing to think that I could have given my son a disease like HCV and it may  have been prevented if that was the cause of him testing positive.  Heck, I could have found out 13 years earlier that I had it and started lifestyle changes like not drinking alcohol way back then.  Thank God I quit in 2005 anyway.  This whole thing with the testing just aggravates me to no end.  They say babyboomers should be tested.  Well my son is not a baby boomer and he tested Pos.   Everyone should be tested.  I liked the every six years if you are neg.  Since Im pos AB for life Im not sure what would be best   But I am not immune just because Im SVR.  I should cut and paste this somewhere on my computer so I can repost as necessary.  Im not even sure if all docs are testing pregnant women as i write this.  I dont think they do.  My current Gyn. does not.  I have gave her a what for about it.  Its a money thing.
  Well, I think the fact that the older son, who had a positive AB(this stands for antibody?) does NOT have a genotype or a viral load, is a very good sign.
  I agree with you; I think it would be psychologically disturbing, for a pre-teen to find out they had Hep C. Their brain doesn't have the same developement as an adults. It could trigger a major depression.
Sticking you head in the sand when it comes to HCV is why we have such a major problem now
Why would you not have your minor children tested? Your the parent.  You don't have to tell your children if you don't want to.  This is about the importance of documenting your child's medical history.  You don't have to tell anyone else that your child has hepatitis C.  The only one who will know is your and the doctor and the public health department.  Its not reported to the school.   This is not about you....it's about your minor child.  

Lovebug,
  I have a lot of empathy for your situation. My comment is only from my heart and my personal experience, not expert;

When I found out I was positive for HCV I immediately told my partner, then I also had to tell my 2 older, over 16, (legal concent in Ontario) children that I had hep C.  Wow that was hard.  I insisted that they be tested and one did and one didn't (he's 25).  But my youngest I had tested unbeknownst to him.  When his test can back negative.  Then, I told him, as I would have either way. . . But the relief was undescribable.  

I could barely live with myself for those few weeks, knowing that I could have passed this on to my youngest, however remote (5-10%), while pregnant.  My older two are now in control, and I don't think I had hep when I gave birth to them, but not a fact. . . I still struggle with the unknown with my oldest boy.  His doc knows about my condition and I'm sure will encourage him as I do to get tested!  My partner of 18 yrs, also got tested, and he's negative. Whew!

I know your question was about finding someone that could relate to you, but I just wanted to comment on how important it is to know your status and all family members status.  As you know now about your young child, you have some control over his diet and just knowing what to look for in his health and you have the help of your medical team.  You have at least the advantage of knowledge. . .

I have read that young children have been treated successfully on current, but modified dose, soc and even better, new treatments that may be easier for children to tollerate are on the horizon.

I can't imagine the guilt, as a mother,  that I would feel, because I know myself, and I know that everyone else would absolve me, as I do you and everyone does, because you didn't know, it was not intentional.   But I know your heart will still pain, because you love your child so much.

As a mother I can relate to having a sick child, as my youngest has had a few medical conditions and some such as being tired all the time and itchy rashes, along with other issues, but anything that I could relate to Hep C suddenly played on my mind while I waited for his results as he was 12 ( not 40) and he could very well have been exhibiting symtoms (symptoms).  Although he has other issues,  but I thought wow if I had known I could have been more dilligent with his diet, no sugars, less red meat, more veggies, and careful about meds. . . Just being kind to his liver, which I now try impress upon my family anyway.  But the thoughts drove me crazy while I waited.  Ah the joys of being a parent.

Try not to be hard on yourself and go forward in your life knowing that you and you precious child can be cured! You have control over his diet and medications, so you can help prevent damage.  I would want to inquire with my health care about Hep A & B vaccines.  There are many things through his life that you will be more diligent about, such as putting stuff in his mouth and keeping all any anything poisonous out of reach.  You have the advantage of knowledge.

I checked on the internet while there is not a lot, there are some sites available that discuss children with Hep C.
Shyrl

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/717069_2

http://www.hepns.ca/Downloads/PDF/Hepatitis%20C%20in%20Children.pdf

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/hepatitis.html

I agree with the other members here, about getting my children tested.   I have been behaving like an Ostrich (head in sand).
   Denial is such a crazy thing. First I used it with my own Hep C, and now, with my childrens' status.  This is an "epiphany" for me, and I hope, for other Hep C Moms that read this.
  It may be one of the reasons why I stayed on here...and posted a pic of myself w/baby, for my Avatar, albeit subconsciously.
  I am definitely going to get my children tested. But I will need the support of my friends on here~
  This subject is a HUGE medical subject, that could save a child's life. What the heck is it doing on the "Social" side, this is not a tea-party :(
   Thank you Luvbug, for posting this question~  I know you wanted to discuss whether or not to tell your childs' school, and I am still going to go with "no", as my personal opinion.
  Anybody who is in the position to help with medical emergencies is also coached in "Universal Precautions".  I  have taken Life-Saving, and our Instructor was very clear to us, about how we shouldn't attempt "mouth to mouth resuscitation" without this piece of equipment, that separates our lips from contact, and I took the course 18 yrs ago, so the precautions could be even more strict.
   I work with severely disabled people, and come into contact with bodily fluids, via cleaning wounds,  etc. I always wear gloves, and I am always very careful with my hands, not to get cuts on them, etc. I have always protected myself,and my clients. Everybody who works inthe health/medical field is or should be very aware of us.  Periodically my company gives a course about cross contamination, and we are also sent stuff in the mail, reminding us about taking precautions.
  I am sure the School Nurse would also be aware of this. Also, if anybody else that isn't a professional were to jump in, to save a childs' life, I am hoping they have also educated them-selves on Universal Precautions~
   If I were to have to apply a tourniquet in order to save a childs' life, and didn't have gloves, I think I would just go ahead, because like I said, I am careful with my hands; because of my job I keep them clean and with no cuts. Mouth to mouth resucc. is different, because blood can be vomited up, and the eyes nose and mouth are more vulnerable to infection.
Thanks,I'm glad my question helpd u discovers u need 2 test ur kids, c I wanted 2 have a nother kid but I don,t want mayb give hep 2 them, Only my mom & My oldman my sons father, I worry 2 tell others, my sons auntie is his fab, my old man sis,  she  all ready a acts differemt w a cousin that has it,I know she loves him ,but I dnt waanruii
my doctor said if cost is holding you back, then donate blood.  they'll contact you in a day or two and let you know if you have contaminated blood.  just a thought.  my son did that at his college.  they had a blood drive and he was fine.  belle
A doctor is actually suggesting you use blood drives to find out if one has Hep C? I find that down right scary.... Mistakes have happened. WOW
???????
What the heck? is wrong with some of these doctors
GO TO,THE COUNTY, IT'S FREE

Luvbug,
Yes told the schools , they didn't know what HCV was, told all teachers
every year, the same thing . It was my responsibility .
Ally my very best to you
A baby is born it is inoculated for A & B,  If there was the same method for C they would to that too but there is not.

There are too many of us on here who know this virus can lay dormant for years in our systems.  Hopefully for children born of this age, there will be a better alternative for them than we had.

The CDC recommended that anyone born between 1945 and 1965 be tested.  

Many people are not aware that at this time, if you had A / B shot it has to be redone every 10 years.

I agree with whoever said that you do not have to tell your small, even pre-teen child what the blood test is for, possibly even a high school unless it is a known fact in your family.  There are many, many of us who have had to deal with the fallout of this testing and results as adults so tread carefully.

I would get my children tested if they were little.  Have talked to all my adult children who all think they are invincible but as they are going down this transplant road with me I think I may even change a few die-hard beer drinkers to tea totalers without even saying a word....

But yes...it's you child, you as a parent do what you feel if right for you and your child.  And as with all siblings, just because one has something does not mean the other does too.  

I could see how some misguided individuals would tell you to go to a blood drive but that is not a good option if there is a member of the immediate family who is infected.  And yes, the blood tests are extremely expensive, even with insurance.  If you have Medicare or Medicaid it will pay some and there are hospitals that will do children's blood work on a sliding scale so you can afford it.  It would be better to find out sooner than later.

And someone had a previous post a few months ago about childbirth and there is a very low possibility of contamination....does anyone have that old post?
  The blood tests have always been covered by my particular insurance,
probably because I work around bodily fluids, and my Union fights for this kind of thing.  I am very thankful of that fact.
   I am thinking that the Abt meds (Aviator Study) that my Hubs took for 12 weeks, which were completely Interferon Free, would work well on a teen, if Tx were needed.
   I was reading that teens have a higher chance of suicidal ideation, from
the Interferon, than adults do. I already have an older child with a severe mood-disorder, who is frequently hospitalized for her depression.
   I am going to hope for the best, and plan for the worst. If one on my younger ones tests positive, then I dont think I would go for a biopsy, right off.  I would try a Fibro-Test, and do we have a Fibro-scan available here in the U.S. yet?
   My 21 yr old was tested by my Family Practice, when she turned 16 yrs old. Perhaps they tested her then, because she was asking about Birth Control, not sure. After reading up on childhood Hep C, I am noticing fibrosis getting more common, the older the minor child is, so I plan on getting my sons tested soon.
   I did notice there are cases of spontaneous clearing, up until 5 yrs of age, when I read the links in the above posts.  I hope when Luvbug has her son tested again, at that age, that he will also be clear.
yes, he did and he is a top liver transplant doctor here in so. cal.  he told me that the cost holds a lot of people back.  and he told me that hcv is a silent epidemic and he's fearful for the future of many baby boomers!  belle
i'm sorry but here in so. cal. the blood test is not free.  there are a lot of people in my community that can't afford it.  i know for a fact it's only $45 but they are poor people.  a lot of them are migrant workers, working in the flower fields.  everyone deserves a chance to find out if they are infected with this horrible disease.  belle
http://www.hepcchallenge.org/testing_sites.htm
Maybe this might help.
Where do you get free testing in Roseville ?  
This point is mute since you have insurance.
I know I've read of free clinics, who will test for HCV , like I implied
check with your county hospital.
The point is Don't donate blood to see if you have HCV.

http://www.healthycal.org/archives/9010
I have friends who live in Roseville and would like to know where the free testing you speak of is.  It's not offered by the county you live in.  
Your friends may have to do a little of their own research and their own leg work. Sometimes it takes research and a little leg work on the part of the person who wants something to be able to get it. They can start by calling the county health department. The county health department should be able to advise your friends. Also, where do they get their health care now? They could call that facility or person and ask them about free testing. They cannot expect us to do all of their research for them. They can invest a little time and effort into doing it themselves.
The question about where the Free Testing is offered was in response to the "County offers free testing for Hepatitis C".  Reference in this thread says it does.   It isn't offered by Placer County or many other counties, states or
countries.  

"Also, where do they get their health care now"?
______________________

The friends who are concern don't have insurance.  They make to much money but not enough to qualify for county services.   Like someone stated
above they don't have the money to spend on a Hepatitis C test.  Then I have other friends who donate blood all the time, have insurance and are not concerned.  If it were true that you just had to walk into a county clinic and get tested for free......we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Sure free testing
does exist...but it's not available in many places.  This makes it difficult for
limited income to get tested.  

Hi everyone -

This has gone way off topic. Let's keep it to supporting luvbug77.

If anyone wants to test, or has friends that want to test, or wants to test kids, they can visit the link child24angel posted, or call your county's health department. Child24angel's link - http://www.hepcchallenge.org/testing_sites.htm

Also, it's not ever a good idea to use blood donations as a way of testing for any disease.

Thanks,

Emily
Again, let's keep this to supporting luvbug, and not about testing (free or otherwise).

Emily
My apology Luvbug,

I did answer your question about schools, I hope
you were able,to read it .

All of us are different and handle our children differently .
I,was just sharing what I did.
My very best to you and your family

Hugs,
Elaine

thx Emily,I understand topics get off subject.Hopefully the off topic helps someone eles
I'm sry for ur lose,I dnt know bout telling school bout my sons hep, he deverses  to have a normal life in school, if he got sick & was bleeding @ a drop of a hat,I,d tell the schools. I just wish I could change it for him, he should b able 2 do anything  he wants, I just feel horrible, Best wishes 2 u  & yours
R u saying a child could clear the hep out mayb? I know I have a wonderful hamdsom son, how started this world in a neg, as I use 2 B a heroin addict   clean 4 like 5 yrs before I had him but I was still on Suboxin, he was addicted to it so they kept him to make sure he didn't withdrawl (withdrawal),well of course he has his mothers luck bout hour after I'm home they call to say they gotta dose him, give him morphine , so the give him that then they gotta ween him off that, so my son was born addicted, bad enuff he got genes from both parents that r recovering addicts. I just hope he doesn't go down the path I did, I'm gonna do all I can to help him not. Sry to dump on u I just have no 1 to talk to bout these things. People always wanna know what's wrong but I can won,t tell them, Best wishes 2 u& urs
  Yes, up above, in this thread, there are several links,

When I read thru these articles, they had done some studies on children that were born with Hep C.  Some of them cleared the virus on their own, before the age of five yrs, so this shows us that Hep C works differently with very young children. Once over the age of five yrs, this didn't appear to be happening anymore,
   Child24angle had a different scenario than you and I, her son got Hep C
via a blood transfusion, becuz he was a hemophiliac. She mentioned above that her son bled very easily, so she felt the need to let the schools know.
  Even though she felt the need, the chances of her son passing Hep C on to someone who was helping him, were still very slim. They would have to of had his blood going a fresh cut of theirs, and most adults cover, especially working around children, cover their wounds with a bandage.
     I agree with you, your son deserves confidentiality, concerning his health issues,  Now about you, Luvbug, please stop "beating yourself up" over this. You are "shoulding" on yrself, as in: "if only I had done this..or had done that differently".  It just doesn't help anything, and only suceeds in making you feel crappy.  
   Your goal should be to make yourself feel good, so you can raise your son to the best of your ability.   Like I said before, help is on the way, new meds are coming down the pipe-line, that will be very easy to treat with,
   I have four children, the oldest one is 30 yrs, and is healthy and successful, the second one, my 21 yr old, had problems with addiction, like her father and I did, and it's a struggle for her.  I still worry about my last two sons, who are 11 and 13 yrs, so I try to be a good role-model.
   The fact that you quit heroin is monumental, so give yrself a patonthe back for that. The Suboxone was needed. Now your son is healthy. He is a blessing. You have to learn how to train yourself to think in a positive way, that makes you feel good.  When I get depressed, I notice myself thinking very negatively. I try to "delete" these kind of gloomy thoughts (example; I'm a loser,) and retape, by thinkingof something good in my life. It's the old, "is the cup half full, or half empty?"  Anytime I start feeling sorry for myself, I think about people who have it really hard, but still have a positive attitude. My husband lost his right leg in a motor-cycle accident, but he went on, and had two sons, and really enjoys his life, a lot of the time.
To find out about testing try checking the hepCchallenge web site.
I am so sorry to hear your son has the virus it's one of my biggest fears as a parrent. I have had this disease since birth and has not held me back at all and was always a "healthy" kid never got sick I had a few bumps along the way but otherwise normal childhood. My oldest daughter (4) tested negative and ill kept testing her as she grows my youngest daughter (6 months) has not been tested yet my doctor says to wait till 18 months so my fingers are crossed she didn't get it... She has a heart defect so I pray that's all she has to conquer in life! My thoughts are with you and all the best to you and your family! Positive thoughts u will get through this! Xo

Ps I think it's a personal preference to have your children tested i would never question someones choice on testing or not that's their decision.  I was so scared waiting on results I actually sent my husband to hear them and tell me, but even if she tested positive I think I would monitor her and wait till we felt time was right and especially with new meds coming your son has such a promising future of clearing this for good. Children are so resilient.
Best of luck!
Momof286