Hepatitis Social Community
Red Shoes for Valentines Day

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Red Shoes for Valentines Day

You can now officially add me to the Triple Tx SVR list!  All my labs are back to normal, with my HGB a walloping 14.2 (6 months ago they were at 8.8 eot) and my platelets are finally back in the normal range, I am breathing an enormous sigh of relief.
   A large part of this Tx stress, is the waiting game. So many people have no idea what we have to go thru. of course I want to thank all of you for being on here, to help all of us, on a daily, and even hourly  basis.
  My legs still feel a bit weak, when I go to stand up from a low chair, and I am still a bit rippley (flabby) looking, but Rome wasn't built in a day.  I am jogging, and have great endurance, and plan on doing cycling and swimming, things are bound to shape up with hard work.
    Good luck to everyone in Treatment. For those who dont know me, I did 28 weeks, with Boceprevir~
I also just wrote an article about my Triple Tx, and I will continue to educate the public about Hep C~   Katy
Tags: SVR Boceprevir 28 wks
that's great news. i'm so happy for you...it is a long journey and the waiting is awful....but you are on the other side and now you can really enjoy your gift....
Congrats!!!!!!
Good for you!!!
Wahoo!  Congratulations. Wonderful new :-)
YES YES YES ! I'M Very glad fur ya CONGRATS !
Congratulations and thank you for continuing to post here and inspire us. Where is your article posted or published? I would love to read it.
Congratulations Bocep! So happy for you.
Advocate1955
Fantastic news!! Congratulations! Thanks for being such a big contributor to this forum!
Cool it must be such a relief to be done! I hope you continue to heal.Next Chapter...
I am so happy to have met you!  ? I hope that you hang around so I can have another to help me learn                                                                                            
Congratulations!
congrats!!!  so happy for you.  now you can enjoy your hep c free future.  belle
this is great news and makes us all very happy! good luck with everything moving on katy!     i think in another year you'll feel even better!      its so cool post tx to be getting older and feeling better.....have fun today!.....billy
Awesome news!!  
Congrats!
  Thank you all, and Happy Valentines Day. Never give up, Hep C can and will be completely eradicated, once these new meds are approved.  
   Some advice I would give would be: dont waste your time and energy on "alternative Hep C cures" that are advertised on The Internet.
    Also be aware of the usual myths that I hear, such as "I had a friend who had Hep C for 20 yrs and it cleared on it's own".  That never happens, it only clears during the first 6 months after contracting it, in the "acute phase",  and that is only 25% of the time, and then the antibody will always still be present, but a Quantitative (# of yr viral load) or Qualitiative (specific genotype ) test will be negative.
   If you are waiting for the new Interferon Free medicines, make sure to enlist the help of a hepatologist, to monitor your liver, and treat any symptoms of cirrhosis, if you are in an advance stage, on your biopsy.
    And for everyone, waiting to treat, treating or post treament:  drink plenty of water, enjoy at least a couple of walks a day, avoid processed and crappy food, and eat more organic veggies, and practice random acts of kindness :)
   Oh, and one last tip, for the people out there, who are coffee drinkers, and in Treatment:  when I was Treating, having a cup of coffee always made me feel much better, so go ahead and enjoy that, but of course, drink a huge glass of water with your coffee~
{Also be aware of the usual myths that I hear, such as "I had a friend who had Hep C for 20 yrs and it cleared on it's own". That never happens, it only clears during the first 6 months after contracting it, in the "acute phase",  and that is only 25% of the time...."

Spontaneous clearance of CHRONIC HCV does in fact occur. It is rare but not undocumented.

Spontaneous clearance of chronic hepatitis C infection in a patient with a 20-year-old HIV-hepatitis C co-infection and chronic active hepatitis.
Manfredi R, Dentale N, Calza L.
Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Aging, and Nephrologic Diseases, Division of Infectious Diseases, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, S Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, Via Massarenti 11, Bologna I-40138, Italy. Roberto.***@****
Abstract

We report a case of spontaneous clearance of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in a patient co-infected for 20 years with HCV and HIV, and with an chronic active hepatitis C never treated with anti-HCV regimens. We review the literature of eight anecdotal reports describing the spontaneous resolution of chronic HCV infection among HIV-infected patients, and discuss the virological, immunological, pathogenetic and therapeutic implications of this observation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22581898

Spontaneous clearance of chronic hepatitis C virus infection is associated with appearance of neutralizing antibodies and reversal of T-cell exhaustion.
Raghuraman S, Park H, Osburn WO, Winkelstein E, Edlin BR, Rehermann B.
Source

Immunology Section, Liver Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Bethesda, MD, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Hepatitis C virus (HCV) readily establishes chronic infection with exhaustion of HCV-specific T cells and escape from neutralizing antibodies. Spontaneous recovery from chronic infection is rare and has never to our knowledge been studied immunologically.
METHODS:

We prospectively studied, from prior to infection through >2 years of follow-up, cytokines, HCV-specific T cells, and antibodies, as well as viral sequence evolution in a white male who spontaneously cleared HCV genotype 1a after 65 weeks.
RESULTS:

Significant alanine aminotransferase and plasma cytokine elevation and broad HCV-specific T-cell responses did not result in HCV clearance in the acute phase. Frequency and effector function of HCV-specific T cells decreased thereafter, and HCV titers stabilized as is typical for the chronic phase. HCV clearance after 65 weeks followed the appearance of neutralizing antibodies at week 48 and was associated with reversal of HCV-specific T-cell exhaustion, as evidenced by reduced programmed death-1 (PD-1) expression and improved T-cell function. Clearance occurred without inflammation or superinfection with hepatitis B virus, human cytomegalovirus virus, influenza, and Epstein-Barr virus.
CONCLUSIONS:

T-cell exhaustion is reversible at least in the first 2 years of chronic HCV infection, and this reversion in conjunction with neutralizing antibodies may clear HCV. These findings are relevant for immunotherapy of chronic infections.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22293431

"...it is often overlooked that patients sometimes experience clearance of HCV many years after chronic HCV infection has been established. Most of these reports describe spontaneous clearance of HCV together with other significant clinical events, which are typically associated with extraordinary changes in host immunity, such as immune reconstitution following receipt of HAART [4], termination of immunosuppressive therapy [5], pregnancy, or onset of other acute viral infections [6].

Spontaneous Resolution of Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection: Are We Missing Something?

"......In this issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, Scott et al. [7] suggest that, at least among Alaska Natives, such sporadic episodes of viral control in patients with chronic HCV infection are more common than has been appreciated previously and are associated with lower baseline levels of viremia. They also recommend that cases with such a clinically surprising outcome should be investigated in more detail, because doing so might open new avenues for the development of future therapies....."

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/7/953.full
Congrats!
Good job Bo!
Great news, Bo girl.  Doesn't it seem eons ago that you took that first shot.  Many happy days ahead.
frijole
   Wow, thanks for that imfo Mike. Now I dont feel as silly, because I spent years and years trying to spontaneously cure my own Hep C, with tons of these foods and supplements that boost the immune system.
    I also have a friend who now has a viral load at less then 43, but still detected, and three months later, it was still low, at 1000.  I am wondering if this is what happens, before spontaneous clearance: a very low viral load.
   I am always amazed at the  new imfo I find on this site, pertaining to Hep C.
    Of course, since it is considered rare, and happens spontaneously, I wouldn't advise anybody to "try" to clear it on their own, since medically, it is still unkown how this happens...only that it has occured~

Great info mike,was on the same boat as you Bo,hoped for that for many years,truth is it rarely happens to folks that have chronic hepatitis c.Eh it happened to Keith Richard of the Rollin Stones and he was mono infected.
So happy for you. And exercise!!! You responded to my first post. Your a graduate now but stick around you are a great help. Happy times ahead for you!!!  Kitty
Congratulations!
Wow Bo this is great news. I am so happy for you. !
I have to apologize for neglecting to congratulate you on your wonderful news.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay well,
Mike
   Yes, I think, way back when, I had heard that about Keith Richards, who's music I love.  I remember back in "the day" when I still used drugs and I'd been up all night, and friend of mine came over, and told me I resembled Keith~roflmao.
   Thanks again everybody. I feel like I can finally go on with my life, which I had pretty much put "on hold".  Yesterday I made an appt with an Optometrist, for the first time in my life, and I am excited, I will finally have perscription glasses soon!  Now, I need to make that dreaded Dentist appt~
   What time is it when it's time to see the Dentist? It's "Tooth-Hurty" (2;30) ahhhh.  Yeah, that was lame, but I got it from Sesame Street :D  so you can blame Bert and Ernie~
Congratulations Bocep!  You've been a great resource to us all and to know that you are SVR is such a relief and gives us hope.  I'm hoping for my announcement in six months also.  You must be thrilled. I know I will be.  In fact if I am SVR, I'm going out to celebrate and may even have a glass of wine!  Haven't drank anything in so many years that it would be a great way to celebrate (if the doc says it's okay).  Thanks for the inspiration.
  Thanks PJ~  I waited until my platelets were back to normal (they had been lower than normal before my Tx, not good)  and then I did have a glass of wine, but it tasted way too strong, so I only drank half. I was afraid of becoming more dehydrated, since I'm already a huge coffee drinker.
    My husband and a couple of my friends still have Hep C, so I do want to be kind of a role model type of friend. I was afraid my Hubs would smell the alcohol on my breathe, and then go out and drink himself.  Then, the fact that I was hiding it kind of killed the whole celebratory feel of it, haha.
    I am still fantasizing about browsing the dark beer section of the store though, something chocolatey, with froth.  I also celebrated with a "Dutch Cocoa BlueBerry Mocha" coffee at Peets Coffee, lol
   Last night I took the kids out to Sizzler for the "Sweet-heart Special" which was lobster-tail and steak, and it came with a red-velvet cake with a whipped cream top....yeah, I celebrated!!
Fantabulous news, Bo! Welcome to the club!
GREAT NEWS!
---------------

Wow that would have been a compliment to me,don't know you at all but as far as rock stars go I would say you have looked like Stevie Nicks more then Keith Richards.
Congratulations BoGal.......all my best to you......always
  Thanks, J~ it has been great, meeting you :)  
We all have to stick together.  The FDA needs to move faster, us Baby-Boomers need Sofosbuvir to be approved NOW!
You heard me say it before......approval to FDA this June. FDA then has up to 6 months to review so it should be a December approval to the public...
GS-5885...same thing a year later......At least it's here & it's coming....
Best of health to you in your future to come congrats !!!!!!!
  Yeah, I know, but it just makes me angry that Gilead Science doesn't want to work with Bristol Meyers. The idea that they are putting $$ in front of human lives is very unsettling indeed. I did go ahead and sign that petition that Margaret Dudley started, but it only had 11,000 signatures, and it said 88,000 more signatures were needed~

Great news.... Congrats
BoGal, I'm kind of late to this celebratory party. A big congrats to you. It helped me a lot to have a boceprevir  gal out there in front of me.
Cheers,
C
Congrats Bo girl! Dance, you deserve it.:)