Herpes Community
6 months of symptoms

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

6 months of symptoms

Can herpes outbreaks last for 6 months with no blisters?? Just a rash, penis tip pain and swollen painful lymph nodes for 6 months.  Have tested negative for hsv-2 the hsv-1 was postitive but Ive had coldsores ever since I was a kid.  
6 months is too long for a herpes outbreak. i think you should see your doctor.
Ive been to 4 urologists and just recently went to a infectious disease doctor that told me it is herpes even though I have tested negative for herpes type 2.  Now he want me on Valtrex to see if it helps my symptoms.
herpes never lasts 6 months without relief.

see a dermatologist at this point if your urologists are stumped.

grace
Would a certain type of rash explain rash explain the swollen lymph nodes?? My rash comes and goes but I never get more than a day or two of relief without the symptoms coming back. Could it be atypical herpes symptoms?? What are the odds I have hsv-1 genital?? Even tho I already had oral hsv-1
these are not herpes symptoms.

many things can cause lymph nodes to become swollen, not just herpes.
I started taking Acycolovir over a week ago and some of the symptoms have slightly subsided but they still come back. The rash on the head is not as bad but is still there and wont go away. Most of the pain has stopped. I cant help but it is hsv-1 and I will never know since Ive already had hsv1 oral ever since i was a kid. I am losing hope that I will ever find out whats going on or be able to lead a normal life. Thank for the comments
there's a simple way to check if this is herpes or not - just ask for a swab of the rash as soon as it appears, to check for herpes. as Grace already pointed out, odds are this is not herpes going on and the swab will come back negative.

and stop the acyclovir, you shouldn't be taking it before confirm this is herpes.
Can herpes cause any swolling? Face next etc?
So what could last over 6 months? It comes and goes but is mostly always there the only relief that I have had is taking acyclovir. Almost everytime I go into the doctors office the rash is hardly there and they tell me it is nothing. The pain that I have experienced tells me there is something going on. The infectious disease doctors that I recently have seen thinks that it is herpes even though I have not had any blisters or any traditional symptoms.  The only reason I started taking the meds is because he wanted me too.  How can they swab the rash without any blisters? Would they have to do a skin biopsy? Maybe its hsv1 but since it is a weaker strand of the virus maybe thats why there are no blisters just the rash.
they can swab any sort of skin with a pcr test, it does not require a blister.
just a rash is not likely to be herpes - you are getting wrong information. yes, atypical herpes symptoms occur, but negative tests with atypical symptoms would be highly unlikely. statistically, it would highly unlikely to happen.
you might ask for a swab to take home and swab the rash anytime that it comes up. no much else we can suggest you.
Thanks to all on your posts.  I recently took another HSV blood test they werent supposed to check for HSV1 but they did and of course that was positive HSV1>8.  Since it is an old infection I will probably never know if I truely have GHSV1 but the odds are that I do. I have been taking 10000 mg of Acylovir and the rash is slowly going away except at night.  I am hopeless and giving up on life.  I have spent thousands of dollars in tests, surgeries and NMD visits. If this is what life is going to be like its not worth it. I am sorry for all of you who are suffering through this but at least you know or eventually will find out whats going on with you. I spoke with the ID specialist and he told me that since there is nothing to swab for a pcr test that it will come back negative and I will still be guessing to as what I have.  This is a nightmare that wont stop.
Not sure why you insist on hanging your hat on herpes -  I agree with Grace, this isn't herpes. I don't agree with Bob in sending you down the swab path. If you haven't done so, see a good dermatologist. A Urologist is for the plumbing, not skin.

As to the acyclovir helping, no doubt coincidence. Rashes clear on their own, so to lend that to the meds holds no weight.

I have genital HSV1. I don't "suffer through it" at all - herpes just doesn't work that way. Grace and others who actually have herpes can vouch for that as well. Also, atypical herpes is a misnomer. You can read Dr. Handsfields great response here about it, and also why you should move on from herpes:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Herpes-or-something-else--confused/show/1612970
Thank you for your reply and I know that you are trying to help me to see that this may not be GHSV1.  I have tried many meds and Acyclovir is the only one that has done anything for my symptoms.  I had started with 5 800mg tablets a day everything was getting better when I went to 1 200mg tablet a day the symptoms came back 10 fold.  I was put on another 800mg round doubled up on them in the beginning then back to 5 a day and everything is slowly feeling better again.  Maybe there is more than just HSV going on.  I understand that a urologist is for the plumbing but I have also had problems there as well... urinary dribbling and urinary retention. I have had my prostate checked seem fine both doctors confirmed.  Curious why you dont agree with Bob on the swab it seems that would be the only way to find out for sure.  My symptoms fit herpes to a T besides the fact that I have no blisters... I have done a lot of research about it. I dont understand why its just a burning rash and red skin but everybodies body deals with the virus differently and the swollen lymph nodes show that its a virus since I had one removed and they could not find any fungal or bacterial infections. I know that the percentages of me having GHSV1 are slim to none since I already had OHSV1 but everything else seems to fit.  I have another ID specialist appt on the 6th. Thank you for your advise it really does help.
even if you had contracted hsv1 genitally despite having a well established oral hsv1 infection, you wouldn't be having symptoms like this and for this long. there are clear periods of relief with absolutely no symptoms with genital herpes . also acyclovir isn't really helping if you have no symptoms /rash during the day but have it at night.  herpes symptoms do not wax and wane like that during the day.

I'd stop the acyclovir, see a dermatologist and get this looked at. if they see symptoms, they can do a pcr swab at that time. if your infectious disease doc can't let go of the idea of herpes, ask them to order daily pcr swabbing for a month or two to look for herpes shedding to help convince them that this isn't a herpes issue.  
Well I saw the ID specialist and all he said was you may or may not have herpes put a condom on and get back out there. WTF!! He didnt want to do the PCR testing I requested and didnt really seem to care much. I am continuing the Antiviral meds and they seem to be taking the extreme heat of the genital area away but havent really affected the rash, dribbling, pelvic pain or tingling. I am wondering if this is PHN from HSV?? I dont know where to turn next. I dont understand what else it could be and why these problems continue to linger. Its been over 7 months... The ID thought a possible urethral stricture or back problems. I have had a MRI of my back and everything looked okay. I have exhausted every resource and dont know what else to do.
ID specialists aren't really all that great for rashes and herpes issues to be honest. Follow up with your dermatologist and urologist for your issues as needed.  
also did they manually examine your prostate too?
Yes I have had 2 prostate exams and they both said it seemed fine. After reading Joe239 posts and going through this for over two years then having to do months of daily pcr swabbing to find out it is HSV. I can deal with whatever I have... I just want to know what I have.
even when you have genital herpes, not all the symptoms you have are due to herpes - make sense?  

as I said, continue to follow up with providers as needed.
these comment about herpes doesn't do this and that, it effects everyone different, there is much to be learned still about herpes GRACE U DONT KNOW IT ALL!!!
It is most likely Herpes. I got my atypical herpes 8 months ago, went to 3 regular doctors, 3 dermatologists, and the second urologist confirmed it. I had a slight red rash that would come and go, with white bumps under the skin, pain in the penis, groin, ears hurting, tingling thighs and knees, but not the typical blisters that they all look for. Only the blood test revealed the problem, swabbed many times, never found anything that way. Valtrex does nothing for me, Famvir works best. I keep on getting this back, good for maybe 2 days, then I get it back for 4 to 5 days, I am going on 8 months... And I have been to a infectious disease doctor 5 times, been to the doctors about 40 times this year, still got it.....If I have sex my penis will hurt for close to a week, but the overall pain is less. I was very sick initially with fever, night mares and lost 10 lbs. The doctors are running more test to see why my immune system is not working that well against this virus, otherwise never sick and active. But it all point to  Herpes, it is Type one both upstairs and downstairs.   T.