Acyclovir for Cold Sore Treatment question
I've read many different things online and not sure what's the best. My doctor prescribed me 400mg pills for 3 times a day when i get the first sign of a cold sore. I've read online different people saying you need it 5 times a day or only twice a day. Does anyone know how many times a day is correct? How long does the drug stay active in your system before you need to take the next pill? This is my first time fighting a cold sore with drugs and it seems to be working, my cold sore hasn't ruptured but i still can see the bubbles on my lip but it doesn't have pain like it usually does and it doesn't look like they are going to rupture open.

any help is much appreciated as far as dosage goes and if i'm doing the correct thing.
the easiest way to treat an active cold sore with acyclovir is 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. heals them just as fast as the 5 day dose or the 5x/day dose.  much easier to take too :)

grace
I'm on my 3rd day now, it hasnt cracked open and seems to be helping. I'm still doing the 400mg 3 times a day, should i double the pills up and take two 400mg every 8 hours instead?
just finish the dose you are on now at this point. remember the easier 2 day dose for the future :)

research has found that hitting the virus fast and hard works best. start the higher doses at the very first sign of a potential cold sore to try to ward it off completely :)