Herpes Community
Swollen lymph nodes and Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Swollen lymph nodes and Herpes?

Hello All,

I had unprotected sex 2 weeks ago with a girl. After a few times throughout the day, I ended up having what I figured was a bit of a "friction burn" if you will which is something that happens from time to time and heals up quickly after a day or so. However, this time it did not go away.

There were two sores about half the size of dimes in the right side of my penis right below the rim and on the shaft. I am not circumsized and both of these sores were right there in the fold of the skin. So as I get an erection or use the restroom and it gets folded back, an incredible pain shoots through my body as if it is reopening the wound.

Now there is a grey/yellow center to one of the sores and its looking ugly. I went to the doctor yesterday and I think her feeling is that it is Herpes so we have a culture being sent off. I went ahead and got blood and urine sent away, too, so I believe I am being tested for about 6 different STDs including HIV.

I told the Doctor about my swollen lymph node in the left side of my pelvic area which wasn't all that bad yesterday. She jammed her hand into it and it hurt a little bit but she said it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Well, this morning I woke up and my entire front of my pelvic area beginning at the base of the penis, going up, and circling back down the left area of the pelvic region is swollen up noticeably. And, worse yet, its very very painful.

Its Friday night now and I am thinking about going back to the Doctor Monday morning, but I am curious as to if something worse can be going on here? I had MRSA a few years back and, sure enough, it was sort of around the crotch area as well and I recall the nodes being swollen up and hurting like this back then as well. I am wondering if that wound on my penis might have gotten infected over the last few weeks and has really caused a problem down there?

I have a prescription for Valtrex that I am about to go get. Even if it is Herpes, will that make the swelling go down? Is the swelling a bigger problem like something ugly and infectious in the bloodstream?

I appreciate any incite! Thank you.
Your doctor would recognize MRSA and test for it I'm sure. However, when someone has had MRSA, it can recur. I would at least call your docs office and tell them about your prior MRSA infection. Otherwise, wait for the herpes test results.
Hey, I've had genital hepes for about 20 years.  Sometimes, I get a swollen groin lymph node when I get an outbreak.  Sounds like you better go back to the Doctor, though.  Keep it covered!