Herpes Community
Tingling sensation for 7 days, herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Tingling sensation for 7 days, herpes?

I had unprotected sex 14 days ago.  About 7 days ago I started noticing weird tingling feelings around my genitalia area, but no specific one-point in general.  The tingling sensations have progressively gotten worse over the past 7 days.  I have tingling sensations on my penis and down my thighs.  They come and go lasting in about 5 minute intervals, but I am left with a feeling that something is still off even when it is not tingling.  I first noticed some tingling sensations down to my toes around day 6 after the unprotected sex.  I visited Planned Parenthood for a STI screening; however, herpes cannot be tested for three months.  From everything I have read it seems like symptoms leading up to a herpes outbreak and contraction.  How long should I expect the tingling to continue before experiencing an outbreak if I have felt tingling for about a week and its been two weeks since exposure?  Is there a chance you may experience tingling for this long and never experience an outbreak afterwards?  Is there any connection between the length of tingling sensations and severity of an outbreak?  Also, is there a chance this may not be herpes?  Thank you.
I don't think new infections get prodrome. Grace would know better than me. The virus has to be established in your body before this happens, it's the virus resurfacing and travelling via nerves. For those of us who do get actual prodrome, there's no correlation between timing and severity. We may get prodrome for a week and not have an outbreak, or we may get it for a few hours on the left side of the groin and get blisters on the right side a couple of hours later.

You haven't had and outbreak, this is more than likely your head playing games on you.
I removed your other post since it was the same as this one. please read our read before posting post for the guidelines of posting here if you haven't already.

since you had unprotected sex, you can follow up with proper testing at the proper times. you can test for chlamydia, gonorrhea , ngu and trich after 1 week post encounter. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months.

no, you won't have prodromes lasting this long. no real reason to think that your symptoms are herpes related. If they continue, follow up with your regular provider to try to get to the bottom of them.

grace
Thank you, Grace.
I recently had unprotected sex 18 days ago.  About a week later (7 days after exposure) I started noticing tingling sensations on my penis.  The sensations would last in about 3-5 minute intervals and I would have them about 10 times a day, without conditions ever really returning to the feeling of "normal" again.  The tingling sensations have then moved to my thighs and down to my calf on my right leg.  I feel sharp pains in my right thigh when they occur there right over my femur bone.  Tingling sensations would last about 10 minutes and occur about three times a day.  I then started to feel tingling and warming sensations towards my lower right buttox.  How long do tingling sensations normally last per interval?  For example, do they occur normally for 5-10 minutes, or are they usually about 30 minute intervals of tingling, or do they usually last all day until an outbreak?  I understand conditions may vary from person to person, but on average, how long would you say the tingling or pain lasts.  I also have had tingling and pain stemming from my penis to my butt, down to my leg and calf for about a week and a half now with no visible outbreaks.  On the top of my penis, it feels a little tender at a certain point and seems to activate the nerve that affects my leg if I touch it.  Is it possible this is not herpes but some other infection?  I have made a doctors appointment for tomorrow but would like some information to speak with him about because I am not sure what to say.  I will share the results.  

Also, I have previously had cold sores on my lip, which means I was exposed to HSV-I.  So is it possible that I am experiencing prodrome as my body has previously been exposed to HSV, but not I have been exposed to HSV II in a new location in addition to HSV I in the past?
these aren't herpes prodromes.  

if you've had cold sores, then you have hsv1 orally.

following up on this is your best course of action.   stop back and let us know how it went :)
Doctor said the same thing as you and that I would most likely see something by now.  The sensations are still there but not as intense.  Took a blood test even though it may be too early to detect.
Okay so about five months ago I had oral sex with a guy that I have known for about a year.  I also had protected sex with him as well, yet in order for him to ejaculate he took the condom off and rubbed his penis onto my cliteros.  Well about four days later I started to feel a tingling over top of my lip, but I never had an outbreak.  Eventually, I even had pain in my vaginal area yet again no visual signs.  I went to the doctors and all five of them said that herpes is not that settle, meaning that if I felt tingling or pain that probably a day later I would show signs.  To this day, I still have the tingling over my lip and in my vagina area but no signs.  Is this my mind playing with me?  I would have thought that the disease would have manifested itself by now!  
You should have started your own thread, however I'll answer here for you  

Firstly, the risk of you getting herpes from your exposure is pretty low. And secondly, tingling is only associated with a recurrent infection, not the first outbreak. And if tingling is occurring before an outbreak it lasts maximum a few days.
The first outbreak rarely appears after 10 days post exposure.
You could always test. After 5 months a blood test would be 100% conclusive.  
Thanks for your response.  I thought that I had my own forum!