Herpes Community
could this be oral herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

could this be oral herpes?

So I had sex with this guy. He used a condom. But I gave him oral sex without the condom. I didn't shower immediately after we had sex. I went home, slept for 4 hours, and took a shower. After the shower, I got a tingling, burning feeling on my lips. I was so scared, and went on google only to find out it could be oral herpes. Fml! So we had sex last Thursday night, and got the tingling feeling Friday morning. I bought Abreva and used it on Monday (3 days later). My lips felt dry before I used the Abreva. Its one week later(Friday) and I still have the burning feeling, but it has moved down to my jaw. No cold sores yet, so I'm wondering if the Abreva stopped the cold sores from forming. I used the Abreva only 5 times. I asked the guy, and he denies he has herpes. I'm so worried and I want to get tested in 3 months time for an accurate result. Do you think this could be oral herpes or what else could it be? I'm just hoping I did not get genital herpes from him too. I've never had cold sores in the past.
you need to be seen now for your symptoms, not wait until you can be blood tested.

have you ever been tested for herpes before this?

did you and this partner discuss std testing and herpes testing ?

grace
I've never been tested for herpes. This was my first sexual encounter, so never had any exposure to it in the past. And I come from a culture where we don't kiss friends or relatives, so I don't think I had any cold sore exposure as a child. I asked my partner after I noticed the symptoms. He said his last std tests was 9 months ago, but he wasn't sure if herpes was tested. I feel stupid for asking about stds after the sexual encounter, instead of before. I thought I was safe by using condoms, but I never realised I needed the condoms forr oral sex too.
odds are he wasn't tested for herpes.

you need to be seen today for your symptoms for starters.
The burning is not there right now, and my lips are fine now, can they do anything test that will tell me if I have the virus or not?
odds are this isn't oral herpes going on. abreva also doesn't really do much either for oral herpes. it barely got FDA approval to say it speeds the healing of oral herpes since it only healed them less than a day sooner than placebo.

if the pain comes back, be seen for proper work up. meanwhile use a good lip moisturizer like a burts bees product or something to keep your lips moist.
Hi. So I went for some blood tests last week. my hsv 1 came out positive and they said it was >5.00a , and hsv 2 came out negative with <0.90.
I started having vaginal itching last tuesday. I went in on wednesday and the nurse said there were no sores. She tested for bv and trichomonas and it came out negative. The itching continued and I panicked that it might be herpes. So I read up online where they said to keep the area clean and dry. So I kept washing and used a hair dryer to dry the area, and I also soaked my self in the bathtub about 3 times. The itching did not stop and I started feeling a little pain. I went in this monday for another visit and the nurse practitioner examined me and said she did not see any sores, but that the area looked chaffed and dry. Seemed like I irritated the area with the constant washing and drying. She gave me a cream Clobriate proponate ointment. It made it better, thhe itching is gone but I still have a whitish a bit yellow discharge, more of white, it doesn't have a bad smell. I think the constamt applying of the ointment has irritated the area more cos its painful now. I have to apply the cram twice a day and have to wash and dry the area before applying it. I'm thinking all that is irritating it more. The area was painful last night but I noticed when I wore a particular shorts, the pain wasn't there. I'm scared that the hsv 1 might be affecting both my mouth and genital region. Is that possible? The sexual encounter that caused all this a condom was used, only the oral sex that was unprotected. 3 days before the itching started, the same partner fingered me, but we didn't have sex, so I'm qondering if its the fingering that brought on this vaginal itching and discomfort?
The medication is clobetasol propionate
just because you have hsv1, doesn't mean that everything that goes on in your oral area is herpes. make sense?  many things that can cause the symptoms you are having.

you've been seen twice for your genital symptoms and no one has seen any signs of herpes.  try to relax and let the irritation get a chance to heal.   topical steroids in the genital area do sometimes make things worse for some folks since our genital skin is very delicate. if the cream is making things worse, ask your doctor about just trying a barrier cream like a&d, desitin etc instead to soothe and protect the skin while it heals.
Hi. So it's been a few months since my hsv 1 diagnosis. I still have the mild constant vaginal discomfort/itching. No discharge. It gets better with my periods. But the discomfort is constant. Recently it stopped, but today I went to use the restroom and it started again. Is this related to the hsv 1? Cos the blood test did not specify which part of my body had it. I got oral symptoms(tingling) 6 hours after the sexual encounter that caused all this. Ever since then I haven't had any sores, but it dries out my lips and cracks it and when I try to use lipsticks my lips gets irritated and it doesn't look smooth on my lips(the lipstick). I never had this problem with lipsticks before. Other people say my lips look fine and I'm wondering if I'm the only seeing the dry and cracked lips.
Is it possible to have constant herpes outbreak in the vaginal area? I don't have any sores. I reduced washing the area often and the discharge I had months ago went away. I also noticed when I had my periods it seemed to relieve the itching and discharge and now the discharge is gone but I still have some itching but its so mild, just that its a bit constant and I need to know what's going on. The nurse examined me when I first had the complaints and she said there were no sores. I stopped using the ointment she prescribed cos constantly applying the ointment to the area and washing it irritated it more. Will lysine help? I just want to go back to how I was before that sexual encounter. Regrets.
no, you wouldn't have constant recurrences.

are you being seen and getting checked out regularly?

have you tried something like desitin or something?

lysine doesn't do anything for herpes . it's one of the biggest myths out there about herpes.
I haven't gone back to be seen. The last time I went the nurse said there were no sores and it wasn't related to herpes. I feel like if I go back she might still not give a conclusive answer. I'm already positive for hsv type 1, so no point doing the tests again. The itching is very mild. Like I can function with it, it's just that this has happened to me before the sexual encounter. A condom was used during the encounter and it was just once, although no condom was used for oral sex which was how I got the oral herpes. What is the risk of HIV from oral sex? With and with dry/cracked lips.
Hi Grace. Please what is the risk of HIV from oral sex? Without and with dry/cracked lips(the dry/cracked lips is from hsv 1).
there isn't any real risk of hiv from oral.