Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV and oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV and oral sex

I am a female who was diagnosed with genital warts in Jan 2013.  The warts have started to go away on their own and I am almost clear of them now.  I would like to know how contagious I am through intercourse once they all clear up? Is it possible to pass on HPV to someone else's mouth by them giving me oral? Do I forever have to use condoms and dental dams?
typically we advise that if the warts stay gone for 6 months, that it's ok to start having sex with a new partner.  

what we know is that usually once warts are gone, the virus isn't easily detected by the means we currently have.  newer research is showing that hpv can reactivate later on but we still don't have enough info to make newer recommendations.

did you have your gardasil shots?  If your partner is under 28, they can get them too to help protect them.  

grace