Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Scar Tissue/Recurrence

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Scar Tissue/Recurrence

I will try to be succinct though these issues are always hard to explain clearly. Starting about 2.5 years ago I had outbreaks of genital and anal warts. I had them treated with cryotherapy repeatedly, and one had to be surgically removed, it was between my legs, between my anus and scrotum. This left a small bump which I assumed to be a scar.

After my last session of cryotherapy (treatment took about 18 months) I used Aldara and applied it to where I had seen warts, but also applied it liberally to this little scar (just in case, I thought). I guess I was too liberal because I developed an ulcer in that spot and went to the doctor immediately. He confirmed that it was from the over use of Aldara, and swabbed the ulcer for a PCR test to see if it was previous site of a wart. He also confirmed that I had no other warts present (I had been 5 months free of recurrences by this point). The test PCR was negative for HPV.

After this, I had one more exam at 6 months wart free, by another dermatologist. The spot that was once an ulcer was once again an irregular bump that looked "new flesh" that had grown back. I felt this bump change and grow a little bit but just recently I was nervously picking at it and it came off, which I thought was more typical of a wart. There is now just a small wound scabbed over.

My worry is whether this was a wart all along. The reason I ask is that I was told by my doctor that after 6 months without a recurrence, I would no longer need to advise new partners of my HPV status (I was stringent about this during my "infectious" period). Although I always use protection, I have indeed had new partners since.

My question is, do you believe the swab test was reliable if only the Aldara induced ulcer was present and not the "bump" in question? Also, even if the "bump" that grew there was indeed a wart, would it have it been considered a fresh recurrence, or rather a stubborn wart that had not been fully treated. Basically, Im wondering if I need to restart the 6 month clock and advise past partners.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist, but it will take two months before I see him and some guidance in the meantime would be helpful.

Thanks,
In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. So without investigating it is very difficult to say whether you are having the HPV virus in the body.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.