Hello. I have a history of uterine fibroids, and also just found out that I have a ovarian cyst (5.2 x 5.3 cm) in my lower right quadrant incasing that ovary. My GYN says that will have to come out along with that ovary, which I understand. However, he says I should have my uterus out at the same time (via laparoscopy) as my 8-10 fibroids have grown 20% in the last year. I am 45 years old, and although still ovulating, believe that I should hit menopause in the next couple of years. My fibroids are all relatively small (16mm at the largest), although I do have all three categories (subserosal, submucosal and intramural). I have read up on both UFE/UAE, and believe I'm not a candidate (more than 5 fibroids, and no truly large fibroids). I've also reviewed the newer focused U/S, which is again for those with larger fibroids.
I'm not sure why I should get the hysterectomy. I'm mostly asymptomatic for a fibroid patient (my periods are regular, with only two days of regular bleeding and 3 days of spotting; some early cramping that requires a few doses of Ibuprofen only); I had 5 fibroids in the Fall of 2010, neg. biopsy, went on the pill. Then f/u U/S 6 months later showed 10 fibroids, with the initial 5 larger. Neg. biopsy, off pill (since it obviously didn't help!) My doctor believes that the fibroids will continue to grow (most likely, but they are growing slowly) and could become cancerous(not usual for fibroids) or necrotic. He says while in for the laparoscopy for the ovarian cyst and ovary, I could have my uterus out and leave the left ovary. But he says if I wait, will later have to have a cut-down instead, which is of course much longer in recovery.
I'm seeing my D.O. this week to discuss, and am planning to visit an additional OB/GYN for another opinion. I've also just started on Black Strap Molasses to see if it will help with the fibroids. I'm trying to hold out until May 14th (after my college class graduates) to have the lap. My doctor agreed to let me wait but will get another u/s in a month to monitor the cyst and fibroids. Curious to see if the BCM will show any difference in a month. Any input?
You are doing exactly what I was going to recommend. Getting a second opinion. You may even want to get a third one. I don't know your Dr told you that would have to have abdominal surgery. You could be a candidate for vaginal surgery, if you do indeed need a hysterectomy. I say could because I am not a Dr and can not say for sure. He should weigh all of your options though. I really am glad to hear you're seeing another Dr.
Black Strap Molasses (any organic) 2 to 3 times a day is suppose to shrink fibroids. Check online for more info. I mixed it in a small cup of almond milk, and honestly, it didn't taste bad at all. It would be a good thing to try. Also, look into organic apple cider vinegar. Those two natural items together could work well for her! Good luck!
I have an update, as much has changed in the few weeks since I posted. While dealing with the decision making on my GYN issues, I was also waiting to see a specialist about a synovial facet cyst on my L5/S1 level, which is impinging my cord. I thought it was an easy fix, aspiration with a steroid injection. WRONG! 1st neurosurgeon stated it would be a 3 inch incision, with plates and screws, lami/fusion, 2 weeks no driving, 6 weeks no traveling! I left the office in tears, as I thought my big surgery was the GYN issue. Not so much.
After speaking with many women (church, my bowling league) including my mother (who had a hysterectomy at 37 w/one ovary removal, then had to have the other ovary removed at 42 due to torsion) and my D.O., I will be having the hysterectomy along with the right ovary. I'd rather do that now than have to have a cut-down in 5 years. Although very distraught a few weeks ago, I am at peace with this decision.
I see a 2nd Dr. for my back on Monday, to hopefully get a less invasive surgery done for my back issues. It's a lot to take at such a young, active age! But I have a great support system. Thank you for the input!
I'm so sorry to hear this as I know it's something you did not expect. I am glad to hear though that you are getting a second opinion for your back surgery. Hopefully the second one can do a less invasive one, as you would like.
Will you please consider seeking a second opinion for the hysterectomy? I think every woman who is facing this surgery for any reason should get one.
I was worried I was making the wrong decision until I got a second opinion and the Dr completely agreed with mine.
Keep me updated on what's going on, okay.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.