Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
recurrent cystitis with negative sample tests
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

recurrent cystitis with negative sample tests

I have had recurrent cystitis over a period of 8 years. The infections tend to coincide with an episode of thrush (although not always) and only leave with antibiotics. If I don't take antibiotics the symptoms are unbearable to the point where I cannot think straight and end up sitting for hours on end in a bath or on the loo and sometimes it gets so bad that I'm weeing blood stained urine. Sometimes I go for months at a time where I feel like there is kust something "Brewing" or as my husband calls it "bubbling under" where I don't feel I can get antibiotics. When I take samples in for testing the G.P generally finds blood or cells but when a sample goes to the lab it is almost always negative. What is going on? Before I got pregnant with my first son (over 2 years ago) I was referred to a good urologist in the hospital where I work and he prescribed a low does of nitrofurantoin for a period, I then got pregnant and was fearful of infections during the pregnancy but thankfully got none and none after my baby was born either but they have recently started rearing their ugly head again with again negative samples. It does make you feel like you're going mental but when the symptoms are as real as they are (again weeing blood) what are you supposed to think? Can you advise me of what could be happening (please don't give me the usual list of things to do as I am a health professional myself and have been doing them anyway prior to even starting to get infections). Any idea what could be the answer as I don't think I'm the only one who can say this is the case.