Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Ibs pain or period?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Ibs pain or period?

A few months ago I got told I had ibs my only symptom was excrutiating stomach pains/cramps as in I cried and sat in a ball sometimes at school it got that bad, I took tablets and it only came back whenim nervous but the past 2 days I've had then continuosly but I'm due my period in the next few days, I never usually get this except the first day of it, is this ibs or just my period? :s
When a woman has IBS, it is normal to have even worse period cramps.  When the constipation is worse around the period, the cramps for both the IBS and the menstruation will make the whole thing feel a whole lot worse.  The two issues actually aggravate one another.  So, if you have Dysmennorhea when you have your period and you have IBS, especially IBS-C, you are bound to feel the cramping more.  One reason is that your lower colon is very close behind the walls of your vagina.  Another reason is the role a woman's hormones play on both conditions when the "monthly visitor" comes calling.

What heaarrtt said about the intestinal cramping and doing everything you can to regulate the IBS is right on the money.  If you have to, use Miralax as much as a week or two before you know your period is due.  Use it during your period, too.  This will help to regulate the worse of the constipation symptoms and should alleviate the extra cramping you get when the "monthly visitor" decides to pay you a call.

sometime IBS can cause intestinal spasms.  cramps in you intestines.  its horrible, you can't hardly move.  It hurts to do anything.  Not much seems to work for me except for making sure I stay regular.  make sure you drink plenty of water and lots of vegetables.  Also, i was told that bran cereal helps too.

I am a 61 year old male with ibs. I have bad stomach pains all the time. I just go with it.
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, but women with IBS are definitely affected differently than men with IBS are when they are experiencing their monthly cycles.  IBS pain is terrible for anyone, male or female, but women do experience more intense IBS pain when the menstruation pain hits at the same time.  

Gaining as much control as one has the power and means to do so over these digestive issues, male or female, is very important for one's overall health and well-being.  For both men and women, this is a whole body issue.

When a woman has issues with both problems and is unaware that it's actually both problems hitting at the same time, then it is helpful to hear from another woman's perspective in hopes of gaining useful information that can help to alleviate some of the symptoms and hopefully reduce the amount of pain the woman experiences.  Also, often men are just unaware of how much a woman is affected by the changes we go through every month.  It isn't placing blame on men or male bashing.  Men see the changes that the women in their personal lives go through, but as the men don't experience what the women experience themselves, men aren't fully aware that there is so much more involved than pain.  There is also a lot more involved than just doing the best a woman can do to be stoic through the pain.  Women are already doing that a whole lot more than most men are even remotely aware of.
Hey everyone im here with review, and I finally know this helped my IBS. Im a healthy woman in her mid-40s, just slightly overweight, but not too much. I have been taking fiber supplements for a few months now, but the brand really matters. My nutritionist recommended the Lady Soma brand after trying some supplements that did not work. Specifically, it was the Lady Some Fiber Cleanse which is made just for women.

I can tell you what a difference it has made for me. Not only just going to the bathroom but for general well being. i felt a very constipated before. I would recommend this to anyone looking to try a fiber supplement for the first time. even though you only get 30 days or less with this its still a GREAT price for a fiber supplement.