Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
colonoscopy and ibs
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

colonoscopy and ibs

Is a colonoscopy a good test to see if their is some other factor other than ibs?  Can ibs cause diahrrea and ongoing fatigue in an 18 year old athletic at college?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Colonoscopy can rule out functional reasons for pain -- IBS is the fallback diagnosis when the tests don't find anything structurally wrong.  So, yes, a colonscopy is worth having, if nothing else so you know nothing else is wrong.

We had a colonoscopy and EGD done on my son -- colonoscopy was clear, turns out his esophagus was swollen, and we had no clue.
Blank
681148_tn?1285160820
I agree, the colonoscopy is well worth it for all the reasons stated above.  If a person is having frustrating symptoms in the colon, the colonoscopy gives peace of mind if the doctor finds nothing and decides that IBS is the correct diagnosis.  That peace of mind actually helps, because it takes away needless stress from worrying that the symptoms might be something worse than IBS.  While IBS is definitely no joke, as I have lived with it most of my life, it is a relief knowing that the symptoms are not caused by something so much worse.  I feel for anyone else living with IBS, because it's definitely a miserable condition.  I really feel for little kids, because I had problems when I was just a little kid, so I know how miserable this condition is for the little ones from personal experience.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...