Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Hypodense Kidney Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hypodense Kidney Mass

53 year-old male here. October 2003 CT showed 2.2 cm simple cyst in midpole of left kidney. Last week, follow up abdominal CT revealed that the cyst has grown into a 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm hypodense structure (1.8 HU). Same kidney was biopsied in 1982 with a diagnosis of glomerulonephritis. Current symptoms are back pain, general fatigue and severe itching in the back/abdominal area. Blood tests indicate a GFR score of 82, sed rate of 5 and a negative ANA result. Increased neutrophils (54 to 72) and decreased lymphocytes (33 to 19) since last CBC in May 2007. WBC count is 8.53, up from 5.63. My family doctor doesn't seem overly concerned. Do I have some type of lymphoma or renal cancer?  
  • Kidney Mass (1 replies):
    I am a 32 yo male who took an ultrasound test after havi...[more]
  • kidney cyst (3 replies):
    Six months ago on a liver ultrasound they found a 1.7m...[more]
  • Atrophic Kidney? (8 replies):
    4 years ago I was rushed to the ER with severe abdominal...[more]
  • Mass on Kidney
    My husband who just turned 60 and is a smoker recently h...[more]
  • GFR (16 replies):
    I just found out my GFR is 48. I'm worried and I was wo...[more]
I have no idea what you may have. I myself have just learned I have a mass in my kidney. But if I were you, if a doctor told me he's not concerned about a mass that has grown, then I would seek out another doctor for another opinion.
Your lab work is all normal except for you kidney function.  Is that correct??  I know some have increased and some have decreased, but the other things are in their normal range.  Of corse, it could be a pattern and the lab might need to be repeated.
I'm not sure what hydrodense means - maybe dense containing fluid (water).  But I would ask your family dr. to refer you to a urologist just in case it is something to be concerned about.  You do have a slight elevation in kidney function loss.  You certainly don't want to play games (Russian Roulett)  with your kidney function!
KaraJo
sorry, I misread the term.  It was hypodense.  I couldn't find anything in the medical dictionary about that term.  Hypo means under or beneath.  Praying for you.
KaraJo