Lung Cancer Community
Constant cough for almost a month - 2 xrays taken

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

My Mother passed away from lung cancer when she was 55 years old. I am a 46 year old male with a dull ache in my upper left side. It is very dull, but I know it's there. I was diagnosed with a Sinus infection almost a month ago and had a hacking dry cough from the Post Nasal drip. That was Aug 4th 2012. It has gotten only slightly better. No Hacking cough like before, but persistent cough nonetheless. When the cough starts, it goes on for a little while and my chest no hurting. I had had 2 Xrays within the past 2 weeks. Both times the Dr's. said they were normal. I had a CT scan of lungs in Jan 2012 that was negative.

I am worried that the Dr. missed something on the xray. A lot of data on the internet reflect that this happens all of the time. However, I guess it's good that there were no masses found in the xray. I plan on getting another CT scan soon.

My question, assuming that there is cancer, could it be larger than stage 1 missed by the xray and how likely is it that it could be missed on an xray. The Dr. said it is the same as the one I had in Jan...

I am so worried about getting the CT scan becuase I scared that there's something there. Could it be the sinus infection and hacking cough from that - is just lingering. Thank you all so much. God bless you all.

Hi there!

Lung cancer usually does appear on the x-ray and it is unlikely for the films to be clean in the presence of one. The symptoms are more likely to be due to benign causes such as infections, inflammations etc. I would suggest consulting a primary care physician for an accurate diagnosis and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!