Lung Cancer Community
Could it be lung cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Could it be lung cancer?

I have never smoked and tried to avoid being around people when they do. But for almost 5 years I've lived in a (simi) finished basement of an older home. I had sever CFS already for years and it is hard to read symptoms from other possible causes because the CFS can cause so many odd symptoms. But my health declined even further after about the first year in the basement.
I have become concerned that I may have been exposed to an unseen element in the environment. Since around Aug of 2012 I started having chest pains. The pain felt like my heart was being squeezed. It only lasted a few minutes at first and only happened rarely. For the last month or so, the chest pains have increased.The pain started around my heart but has moved into my sternum and sometimes the right side. The pain now lasts for sometimes hours. It usually settles in the middle of the sternum or left side. For the last several months I have gotten a mild sore throat and hoarseness for short periods of time. My throat sometimes feels like is constricting and it hard to breath, but this only lasts a short time.
  Does this sound like it could be related to lung cancer? I have always had a healthy heart. I need to know if I should request having my lungs tested.
  Truthfully, I would not even conceder the chance of lung cancer if not for my environment.
  I am sure the doctor would have my lungs tested at my request, but I want to be sure if there is due cause to do so or look into other possibles for the pain.
I am grateful for any help you an give me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Cancer of the lungs can cause symptoms of cough, sputum and sometimes hemoptysis (coughing up blood). Chest pain can also occur, but may be constant. If with movement you are getting the pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costochondritis, inflammation of the sternal rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. But when in doubt always best to have it checked. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the pain. He may even ask for X rays or lung function tests to rule out a pulmonary pathology. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.