Lung Cancer Community
Less than 4mm micronodule right middle lobe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

I had a recent 6 mo. follow up CT scan for a Renal cyst, there was a  incidental finding of a micronodule less than 4mm in the right middle lobe of the lung.  The radiologist did not quote the exact measurement on his report. I am a 48 year old female ex smoker - I had quit smoking 8 years ago after stupidly smoking 1 pack a day for 20 years.

My primary physician has done a follow up x-ray which shows clusters of blood vessels.  I have read that 8mm or less nodules do not show up on X-Ray.  I would like to persue this ASAP.  

Maintain the smoke free lifestyle, this is the most important thing.

You are correct that the Xray may not be able to see the 4mm lesion. I think the main indication was to look for larger lesions since the CT scan for the kidney likely captured only the lower part of the lungs.

You could consider getting a chest CT in order to investigate if there is something else larger than the 4mm. From there, the next step, whether to proceed with interval monitoring with scans or to get a biopsy would be decided.