Lung Cancer Community
Lung cancer has spread to liver and spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

My husband was Dx with lung cancer in November, 2011.  He had cheml and then radiation.  All seemed to go well.
Two weeks ago, he had 'sciatica-like' symptoms.  Pain was unbearable and he was basically bed-bound.  Thoracic MRI showed nothing and Lumbar MRI showed he had a herniated disc.  He was getting better and so I took him to the hospital via ambulance as he couldn't walk.  After two days of no relief, he had a CTscan.  That, unfortunately showed the cancer had spread to his liver and spine.  The liver is so compromised that there's nothing more they can do...that's what they're saying.  They can't give me a time-frame of how long.  They are trying to keep his pain to a minimum, but he still has trouble moving  while in bed.  Difficult to walk and get around.  He's sleeping a lot, not eating or drinking water.  I don't know who this can happen so quickly and not be caught on a CTscan or MRI until it's so dire.  Now, I want to know what to expect and if possible, time-frame.  He just turned 65 and prior to September, 2011 was phyiscally well.  Any insight, suggestions, help is greatly appeciated.  I am having a difficult time processing this.  I love my husband (44 years), and want to help.  Thanks.  G-d Bless.  
Hi there!

Well, there are certain types of cancer that spread too fast and fail to get detected until it’s too late. With metastasis the prognosis is grim and may vary between a few weeks to 2-3 years depending on factors like type of cancer, treatment etc. You may consider discussing the situation, the management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with his treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!