Lung Cancer Community
Smoking & Emphazema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Smoking & Emphazema

I am 51 and have smoked since I was 14.  I now smoke a pack a day.  I had some kind of test where I had to suck in air through an apparatus and my results were that I have COPD and the beginning of  Emphazema.  If I quit now would my lungs get any better? My grandmother died of Emphazema and my cousin also when she was 56.
Thanks,
Nora
Yes, YES, YES-- quit smoking now.  Tomorrow it might be too late.  You don't know where the point of no return is.  Quit now, give it 12 months during which time you:  drink lots of water, walk more and more, or faster and faster or both every day, eat a healthy diet, let your doctor know in case you would benefit from one of the new medicaitons that help lung function, use peanuts in the shell, hard candy, gum, anything you have to peel or shell in order to eat to help get through the rough parts............ then see how you feel.  If you feel better, and you will, then it wasn't too late and you reversed some of the COPD (and probably won't die from it).  
I'd say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.  You either want to live, or you don't.  That's what it comes down to... deciding that you DON'T WNAT TO SMOKE ANYMORE.  You have to make that decision and mean it 100%, or you won't quit.  You have to decide!!  Then, you have a fighting chance. Then it'll come down to your ability to distract yourself, your hands and mind, when you crave a cig emotionally.  The physical addiciton is over in 3 days.  All the cravings after that are psychological-- in other words, your brain (YOU) got used to comforting yourself by doing a certain thing at a certain time. You feel anxiety, fear, boredom, etc. and your tell yourself the only way you'll be able to cope with this feeling or that feeling that a certain situation makes you feel, is to have a smoke.  That's the part of the addiction you'll have to do some stern self-talk about.  Commitment, honest self discipline (talking to yourself sternly) and distraction are keys after the physical addiction to nicotine is gone (3 days).
YOU CAN DO IT, IF YOU WANT TO.