Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Two lung nodules

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Two lung nodules

Last week I had an Abdominal and Pelvic CT done due to left abdominal pain. On accident the CT scanned the lower part of my lungs. The results showed one 3mm nodule on my left lower lobe and one 5mm nodule on my right lower lobe. Both were described as "ground glass". I am frightened and reading the web has made me panic. My Dr has ordered a Chest CT scan and a follow up with a Pulmonologist. I am a healthy female at 46 years old and a non-smoker. I had many upper respiratory infections as a child with one this past spring that began as a sinus infection. I also have many seasonal allergies. On a Laryngoscope this spring the ENT found small nodules on both of my vocal cords. He said they grew due to my coughing and on re-examintion the nodules resolved after treatment of prednisone, antibiotics and cough suppressants.  I was exposed to second hand smoke as a child. I lived in the midwest as a child.I haven't any respiratory symptoms at this time. Does having more than one nodule increase my chances that these may be cancerous? Could the nodules on the lungs and vocal cords be related? Please help me.
Please relax.
Your vocal cord nodules have disappeared after antibiotics. Thus they are very unlikely to be cancerous.
Abdominal CT routinely take images upto domes of diaphragms, so lower part of lungs get imaged. These, in your case, have shown some ground glass shadows. This, in the vast majority, are non-cancerous.
You should get a CT scan of chest just to be sure, and to establish a baseline against which future CT scans may be compared. But you need not get stressed about this. Discuss in detail with your pulmonologist.
All the best, and God Bless!
and denser mean?.and know ct scan will be three months instead of six. ahd thynoma removed  1 year and six months ago. and was told tht was thymic hyperplasia. and during surgery diapram quit working flly on  left side and left bottom lung folded.

If I understood your clinical history correctly, you underwent surgery for enlarged thymus one and a half years ago, during which a part of your lung collapsed and the left dome of your diaphragm became paralysed. Now there are some nodules that are enlarging, and the period between surveillence scans has been reduced from 6 months to 3 months.

Please provide some details about the current size and location of the nodules. If possible, you should get a PET scan, and an FNAC of these nodules.

All the best, and God Bless!
A related discussion, 2 small nod in upper lobe of right lungs was started.
A related discussion, Worried Daughter was started.
A related discussion, asthma, past smoking and lung cancer risk was started.