Lung Cancer Community
right lung

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

right lung

The right lung is made up of 3 lobes (with the upper being the largest, the middle being the smallest etc). I have had the upper right lobe removed. What percentage of my right lung was removed.
The lobes of the lung do not comprise similar volumes so it is not as simple as counting the number segments in the lobe was removed. The actual functioning volumes are estimated through tests which may involve forced expiration of air into a machine. Hence, two people with similar operations may have different baseline breathing function – to the lung volume reduction would be different. Another aspect is the image on the CT, if some of the lung looks too diseased (meaning the contribution to actual breathing function may be minimal, then the loss of fully functioning lobes will reduced lung volumes more.
A pulmonologist is perhaps the best person to answer this question with specific data – as the estimates are individualized.