Lyme Disease Community
Got Igenex Results, need help interpreting

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

I got my IGenex results for IGM and IGG both the Igenex and CDC result said negative.  But when I look at the test result details some non-starred and double starred results have IND or ++.  Can someone help me intrepret this in simple non-medical 'speak'?

I've had so many symptoms for over 17 years so I would really like to get a good understanding of this and if it's not Lyme, do the results point in the direction of something else, perhaps a different spirochete.  Is there some other test that should be done?

Thank in advance for any help.  It is tremendously appreciated.

IGM
**23-25   IND
**31        +
**34        IND
**39        -
**41        IND
  66         +
**83-93    IND

IGG
** 23-25   -
** 31       IND
**34        IND
**39        -
**41        ++
  45         +
  58         ++
**83-93   -
Welcome to MedHelp.  The ** are the CDC significant bands.  IND means indeterminate.  Many LLMD's consider IND results to be weak positives.  The + are positive bands.  The more plus signs, the more positive.  

From the reading I have done the significant bands are 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34,39, 58, 66, 93.  So you do have significant bands.  Here is a link to a good website that explains the  results.

http://www.drcharlescrist.com/
Those igenex results are worse then mine and my infectous disease dr (after 2 years of every other test for lupus, ms, thyroid etc was completed) said I had lyme the whole time and my igenex test read neg. both cdc and igenex.  However if you read your results by igenex (ask for a copy) It recomends retesting in 4 to 6 weeks.  I hope you find some answers here on this forum.  
Remember that Lyme testing is far from precise, and so the diagnosis should be not just based on the test results -- the diagnosis of Lyme/no Lyme should be a 'clinical' one, in which your doctor takes into account not only the test results but also your symptoms and history.  

Given how long you've been sick, and how variable test results are in the same patient at different (even close together) times, don't take the tests too hard until you've had a good conversation with you dr about his/her analysis.  Some people get totally negative test results but are treated because of their symptoms; it depends on the dr's assessment of the patient's overall symptoms.  Tests aren't the final word.

Also ask your doctor if you were tested for co-infections, which are other diseases also sometimes carried by the Lyme tick.  If you don't have a doctor who is very knowledgable about Lyme, finding one may help.

I'm no doctor, but from information others have posted here at other times, it looks to me like a number of your "+" and "IND" [means indeterminate] bands are in categories that strongly indicated Lyme.

Were I in your shoes, I'd definitely follow up and press further before ruling out Lyme.
This is encouraging so I will press on with first finding a new doctor.  

My existing one told me that I had fibromyalgia, extreme stress, carpal tunnel, asmatha, TMJ, memory problems were from lack of sleep due to the fibro and a list of other things.  I had to ask a friend in the US to requistion the Igenex test for me because my regular doctor said the Igenex labs are not creditable so she wouldn't requisition the test. Walk-in clinics won't requisition them either because they don't have a history with you.  So I thought I was screwed.

Now that I have some results to work with and the info from Dr. Crist and Burrascano I can continue my quest but this time armed with some extra information.

If it's not Lyme it really might be one of the co-infections.

Thanks so much everyone.