Lyme Disease Community
strange "feeling" when trying to fall asleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Hi everyone
Got another question for you

It's hard to describe but when I am just about to fall asleep, I get this sensation almost like adrenaline rush but not really. It lasts for a second or too then goes away. It will then happen again after a few minutes. I get this "sensation" a couple nights in a row and then there is a stretch of time where it doesn't happen. I wish I could describe it better. Its like an adrenaline rush mixed with something else..lol. It is more scary than annoying because it almost feels like my heart is going to stop...even though my heart rate is normal during these feelings. It almost makes me feel "jumpy" after the sensation stops. Then it will happen again right before I fall asleep.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I going crazy...haha

-Sarah
It sounds like one of those peculiar Lyme things.  I used to get that 'rush' when I woke UP -- I never figured out what it was, but just as soon as my brain would wake up, a half a second before the rest of my body did, I would think, 'Okay, now what happens TODAY?'  And whoosh, the wave would proceed head to toe.  Like an energy surge, but no energy in it; just a wave of something unpleasant -- and not nausea; it washed through my muscles, not my stomach.  Not ache or a cramp, just like a ... wave.  See?  My description is even stranger than yours!

That was while I was really sick early on, and after treatment, that stopped.  So no, you're not going crazy -- the bugs are!  My best guess was that it was my endocrine (adrenals, thyroid, etc) system trying to cope with whatever Lyme was doing to it.  Drs had no idea.
Yes!  I know what you mean.  I've been trying to describe a similar sensation that's been bugging me more lately.  It can feel like an anxiety-type issue, and perhaps is, but I do blame my Lyme as the origin.  I've been calling it a "rushing feeling."

One of my earliest "symptoms" (we're talking a good 8 months before I ever even thought to see a doctor, I had no idea what "perfect storm" was brewing inside of me...) was that in the morning, my hands would feel like they were big.  They looked normal, and I could move them just fine, but in a funny way, they felt really big!  It would pass awhile after getting up, so I ignored it.  Just another example of a weird Lyme thing.  

Some people seem to get sick suddenly, but not me.  My case was so insidious that it was downright stealth.  Since I don't recall the bite, I can't even be sure how long I had this smoldering below the surface.  I honestly think that it was years.

Then, a high-period stress in my life and BLAM-O, it was like dominoes falling after that, with more and more symptoms piling on.
Bingo. I get it too. Mine is in the morning when I wake up. Generally. Although I was feeling real crummy for a week or two recently and I would get the surges at night. I agree that it's an adrenaline type feeling without the adrenaline. I have a real had time trying to explain how it feels to doctors.

It seems to happen when I'm laying down. If I feel it in the morning and I get up fairly quick, then it seems to subside. When I get the surge feeling real bad and strong, it just makes me feel like crud for most of the day.

My belief is it is the endocrine system and most likely the adrenals. Lyme does mess with hormones and some of my hormone counts are out of whack.

This is one of the symptoms I dislike the most because it really does not feel natural in any way, shape, or form.

Wow. I don't feel crazy anymore. :)
Thanks for the responses

I had this sensation a few weeks ago and it stopped but for the past two nights I have been getting it a split second before I fall asleep...so now it is taking me longer to fall asleep. It's like I will be right at the cusp of nodding off when WHAM, this crazy feeling jolts me awake. And yes ott70, it doesn't feel at all normal or natural. I'm wondering if this can be related to my monthly cycles because now that I think about it, I seem to get the rush feeling every 3-4 weeks. I'll make note of that the next time I get this horrible feeling.

Thanks again..it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with this crazy thing
The monthly cycle makes sense, as I have seen other female Lyme sufferers comment abou the same sensation. Unfortunately, I'm a guy and I can't use a monthly cycle as an explanation. :-)

I still think it's a hormone-related sensation.

Ask your doc for a 24 hour urine test when you are having the sensation. The urine test can detect abnormal levels of hormones. For me, my dopamine was high.
I have 'something?' - just as I am about to fall asleep - I don't lay there waiting for it because it only happens when I am - well right on the edge of being asleep - a bit like when you drift off into a dream and suddenly feel like you are falling and wake suddenly - long winded explanation I know !

It scares me a bit  - but then I am not quite 'with it' at the time - it only lasts a second or two - as Sarah said.  I think it is 'anxiety or hormone' - related - but who knows!!!

I have been have these 'sensations' for years!  I just chalked them up to restless leg syndrome (which doens't just effect the legs). But know that I have read these postings, the symptoms of this do occur when I am having the fevers and body aches.  I didn't connected them until just now.
I get them out of no where also, I describe it almost like I already slept for my 8 hours or so, Ill fall asleep, then about 5-10 minutes later I wake completely up like Im not tired anymore
My strange feeling can come at any time day or night a rush of addren to the stomach and an unpleasant feeling that follows all happening in a few seconds and I have not got a clue what is happening, sometimes I try to bring on the feeling, sometimes I get a metal picture with voices and in a split second think I know what and who they it represents, but its gone. I just live with it.
so after reading all the responds what was the conclusion? because i havent been trying to find answers since i feel the exact way
Hi --

There really wasn't a final answer ... this thread stopped last November, with the only 'resolution' being that these sensations are not uncommon among us, but seem to have a tie to the endocrine system, and it's known that Lyme affects not only the brain but also endocrine.  Treatment for the underlying illness (Lyme etc) would seem to be the path, but since no one here is medically trained, we didn't get that far.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
It's not anything like that!  It's an anxiety disorder...  It really is, I have been suffering with anxiety for about three years now.  The jumpy feeling right before you fall asleep is the first sign.  It got increasingly worse the longer I ignored it.  It is anxiety.
I hear you.  Anxiety is a symptom of Lyme, as well as of other things, of course.