Brayden is 15 months old now (will be 16 in a lil over a week) and won't eat anything "solid" except macaroni and cheese. We have tried EVERYTHING under the sun and he chokes on everything! I have tried mashing it up, giving him water or juice along with things and it won't work. Every time he chokes! I am getting to the point that I am scared to give him anything else but mac and cheese because that is the only thing he won't choke on. He goes wild when we eat dinner and I will offer him things but no matter what it is, he gags and his eyes turn red and watery. My DH says well he will just have to learn that he has to chew it and then swallow, I understand this as he is my 3rd baby, but he just cannot eat anything without choking til he pukes! When he was born he was partially sunnyside up and his head was kind of squished and had to have cranialsacral (sp?) therapy on his head for 4 months. He never latched on properly and so was basically fed pumped breast milk and formula until my milk supply went kaput! Do any of you have any suggestions on things I could try to make things more smoothly for him to try to transition him to solids? He still gets plenty of Next step Lipil for babies 9-24 mo and is gaining plenty of weight, but I just feel so bad because he isn't eating solids yet. His Pedi told me not to worry just yet if he is gaining sufficient weight, so I'm not sure what to do. I see most babies his age and younger eating everything under the sun and some who has even given up bottles and I just feel like that is not even in sight for us yet. Should I be worried? My other two children were not like this at all!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
patty i can understand you want him to move on to the next step, he just isnt ready yet. will he eat other pasta? you know with addy i made my own baby food, pureed veggies. maybe you can puree some things (not talking a hamburger haha) and get him his fruit and veggie that way. ive even seen some recipies for making pasta and using different veggies to make it. will he eat cottage cheese? yogurt? raviolli with chicken in it?
he is just fine patty, just wants to move at his own pace! i will see if i can find some recipies for you. maybe if you make it a slow transition he wont even think about it and start to try a few things.
He will eat some really small pasta but doesn't really "chew" it up. He just kind of bites it into and then swallows it. Now he will eat gerber puffs (only sweet potato). But the other gerber foods for "older" babies.. I wouldn't feed them to my dog! I have tried pureed foods but he just looks at me like "what the hay stacks are you feeding me and spits it out. I have tried to remain consistent with that knowing that sometimes it takes them a few days to get used to it, but there are so many days I can torture him like that..lol Some recipes would be great as long as he is willing to try some things.
Oh.. and the yogurt.. he will eat yoplait but won't eat O'baby or anything like that. Maybe they are too bland? I'm not sure. BUT... the only way we can get him to even eat that is if we give him a bite and then we take one (with him pushing the spoon to our mouth- like he is feeding us). But nothing else works like that. It just kills me that he seems to want other foods, like the same food we eat, but it just goes down rough so he gives up. =(
Patty, does he have molars yet? or teeth to bit off chunks? maybe he's not feeling comfortable with solids and is not choking but rather just his gag reflex still kicking in??
Have you tried transitioning with very small bites of soft things like canned mandarins? those 'pop' inside their mouths when they mash them with their gums... it feels chunky, but it's just the kind of fruit that desintegrates easy.... maybe mangoes or papayas? those are real soft too... or canned peaches in real tiny squares? maybe if he starts getting familiar with sweet textured stuff would be easier than if you start with a hamburguer... lol :)
Sounds like he has an over active gag reflex. My older son does and he also has sensory issues related to his other conditions. Feeding him was a nightmare and I had to be so careful what we fed him (texture wise) as he just hardly ever chewed any thing, he would just swallow things whole. We saw feeding specialists for several years. We worked first on flavors, discovering he really liked stronger flavors. He pretty much ate everything we did we just had to pulse most stuff in the blender first so that it still had a little texture (but was not pureed) so that if he didn't chew it he wouldn't choke on it. We actually found he was better with dryer foods, like goldfish crackers and he was biting and chewing things like that long before he chewed table foods.
It took a very long time, but suddenly at 5 years old he figured out for himself how to chew his food properly. Since then he has been asking for all sorts of food he would have gagged just looking at in the past.
I'm sure your son won't take as long as mine did as mine had other special needs causing some problems. As long as he is gaining weight and you keep offering him (texture) adapted versions of your food he will eventually get the hand of eating more table foods. If things haven't improved by the time he is two it would be worth asking you ped for some help from a feeding clinic.
Hi Patty - Noah didn't eat solid food for a long, long time. He just recently now has started to take tiny, tiny bites of food. I wonder if Brayden has an oversensitive gag reflex? I don't have any real suggestions as my own baby eats a consistent diet of cottage cheese and cantalope! He gags on bananas & mashed potatoes still to this day.
I wish I could be more help!! Try cantalope since it's so watery - see if he'll eat that. The canned peaches or anything w/a lot of watery substance will probably be good as well to try like Vanessa suggested.
My daughter was 10 weeks premature. She has had eating issues all her life and I got a lot of **** when she wouldn't eat baby food. She threw up everything, even milk. She was still on formula until she was about 22 months old. She takes prilosec now for almost a year. She still is on the bottle but with whole milk and we are so proud. I have seen many, many, feeding specialists. They said she has texture adversions, and since she has thrown up so much it might be a reflex she has to overcome. I don't know what else to tell you but hang in there. It is definately not anyones fault that these things happen and eventually he will figure things out.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.