Maternal & Child Community
15 month old's vocabulary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

15 month old's vocabulary

Hey ladies! I have a question concerning my nephew. He is 15 months old and the pediatrician told my sister in law that he should have a vocabulary of at least 10-15 words! Now I am in the process of getting my bachelor's in early childhood and also taught preschool for 6 years and I thought this was completely absurd! Does anyone else think 10-15 words is a little extreme for a child of this age? He does speak, saying Mama, Dada, Duck, Dog, Kitty. And he understands verbal commands very clearly...even shakes his head no if he doesn't like what you tell him to do! lol Just wanted an opinion on this! I know all kids are different and with him being a boy, he could be a little behind what a girl his age may be because he is interested in other things right now. Not to mention, he has a 7 year old sister so she does alot of talking for him so I really think he is right on cue. What does everyone think?
I guess I should say that I don't think it's absurd for a child to speak 10-15 words at this age......just the fact that it should be expected of them. If the child is doing that...then wonderful! The ped. told my SIL that she should call our local Help Me Grow (like an early intervention place) to have him screened since he is not saying enough.
10-15 words is alot for a child that age. My 18 month old son doesnt know that many words! LOL
Heres the cdc website for child dev. milestones
Here is for a 12 month old
That pediatrician is a little off, but I guess its good he's cautious (not to many of them are these days)
It isnt really very nice though to get the little guys mother worried over nothing.
The BIGGEST thing to look for at around 12 months are gestures. People think words are the most important, they really arent as important as pointing, shaking head, clapping things like that. Then the words will follow.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/ActEarly/milestones_1year.html
My dd's doctor assured me that it's more about what the child can comprehend than what he/she can verbalize. if your nephew commincates in other ways he is doing fine. and I must say 10-15 words does seem a bit high.  Another thing our ped. told us was that learning can plateau in toddlers. A baby who speaks very well at 15 months may have average verbal skills at 24 months or vice versa. My daughter was behind at 15 months but talks up a storm at 27 months. She can point out 6  letters and say what they are, knows basic colors and counts to ten (but starts at 2, lol)  i was worried when she was about 15 months because of her lagging speech but I now see that she is doing great.
Sounds like your nephew is right where he should be to me. I'm sure you sister is worried to death, thanks to her son's pediatritian. I think she should take her son to a new doctor or at least get a second opinion.
I agree that the doc is off.  I know kids who really didn't speak a lot until they were 3 and they were bright, one just finished his Masters in computer programming.

Just like some adults are more chatty than other, so are kids.  If the child is communicating nonverbally and understands what is being said to him I wouldn't worry in the least.

I am in the same boat my son is almost 16 months old and all he says is dada...i try to work with him, and i know he understands me because if you ask him what a doggie says, he will bark, or if you ask him what an elephant says, he can make the noise, and pretty much any other command you give him, he can do it.  If you ask him to say something he says "gacaa" I know he can talk and say other words because my 2 year old daughter will ask him to say something and he will say it for her!  He has said mama and Addie when she has asked him too. I guess he is just holding back..im not sure why, but It will all come in due time i guess!
Thanks ladies! :) Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this doc is a little off. My nephew has awesome fine and gross motor skills. He even points to the food he wants on the plate and if my SIL scoops up the wrong thing to feed him he shakes his head no to her! (I noticed this the ohter night when we were out to eat..,normally he feeds himself).

I hate their ped anyhow! She is the one who told her that feeding him 4 bottles of 2% milk and 1 jar of stage 3 foods a few times day was OK when he was a year old! I'm no parent (yet) but even I know it's strictly WHOLE milk and table foods were certainly ok!!!
Thanks for all the feedback! The more I think about this the more mad I get at the doctor! This kid just had tubes put in his ears about a week after his 1st birthday. (After the doc had him on the same antibiotic since he was 2 months old and then when he was one decided that they may not be working ...eyeroll) So really...he was probably a little behind up until age 1 where hearing was involved so in return speech was a little slow. So really...I think that the words he's saying now at 15 months are pretty good for all that he's dealt with ear wise! Thanks again for your feedback! :)
thats a bunch of bull! my dd is 16 months and just recently had her physical (15 months) and her dr said as long as shes babbling shes fine, she trys to repeat things but can only say a few words clearly, some babies are just late talkers, i cant believe they actually said that!
I treat kiddies with language delays (I'm a speech language pathologist) and I would say that 16 months is a little too young to be concerned of the child's language development.  Unless he's not making any sounds, there is no reason to believe that he's behind.  Yes, some children are faster to talk but not all are like that.  I would tell your sister not to worry just yet.  He's doing fine.  Good luck.
there is such a range.  my son had several words at that age.  my niece, could almost speak a whole sentance.  i think its sad when a dr compares this way, we are different and individuals, and so are babies.  some kids dont talk much at all, especially if they are the younger sibling .  why should they? everyone talks for them lol.
ii think the vocabulary depends on  the child
my daughter 15 months last saterday says about 30 words
mommy, daddy, papa, auntie, grammy, me-ma , nee-nee, puppy , dog, buddy, kitty, bottle, juice, eat, ball , book, up, please, no, yes, me, mine, eye, ear, knee, beep, bone, roni, cookie, head, more, toy, hello

but my friends daughter whom is 16 months, basically speaks in sentences but she is in day care with older childen where my daughter is home with just me all day.
as well as another child i kno the same age as my daughter hardly speaks at all.

i personally make a concious effort to make her same something instead of pointing and grunting at it.
well some kids are better talkers than others some are more active than others, some are pickier than others...it all depends on the child.  however there are many things that a parent should do to encourange some skills like readding to them every day or singing, talking listening to music etc. same as teaching them fine motor skills by giving them cheerios to pick up to eat themselves.  Its amazing all the things that a parent can teach a child if they turn off the tv and sit on the floor with the child for good periods of time every day.  Children learn by playing and observing others.
Im not saying in any way that your sister hasn't done all of this, but maybe she has relied on the 7 year old to give the child more of the one on one attention than the parent is teaching and clearly 7 year olds have different goals in mind than babies.
Kids all develop so differently. Those rules of thumb are not to be taken too seriously. My daughter, for example, did not start walking much until almost 15 month, but she has a very large vocabulary (30+ words). I have friends who have a 16 month old boy who walked at 10 months, but only has about 5 words right now.

As long as they are talk some, understanding you, and able to communicate well, you have nothing to worry about.
This is a very old conversation,  I'm guessing the OP isn't checking it anymore nor is it really relevant to that child's situation since so much time has passed,  but I have a thought to add.

When a child has a developmental delay,  often it can't be described in really exacting terms.  I've seen children with obvious delays or challenges,  who very nearly hit the stated "goals" - walking,  sitting up,  first word,  etc.,  but to those who know children well it's very obvious that the child is struggling with a challenge that the parents may not see.

The doctor may have been reacting to a general feeling that the child was not progressing on a mainstream path,  and suggested seeing a specialist by stating vocabulary issues,  all the while knowing that the specialist would be able to hone in on what the problem is the ped is seeing.

Developmental delays can be like the Supreme Court statement about pornography - "I can't describe it,  but I know it when I see it".