Maternal & Child Community
16 weeks and cramps still severe at times - need advice/encouragement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I will be 16 wks pregnant tomorrow and I have getting cramps, sometimes sever from time to time that last up to 3 days. I have been to to OB, gotten planty of U/S and they always say the baby is doing great. I am at a higher risk due to age and 2 m/c last year so everytime I get hard pain, I panic. I got really bad cramps on my left side yesterday and they are still lingering. I just saw the DR last Friday so I do not want to call because I know they will tell me that they are just cramps. I have had no bleeding (thank god) but none the less, I am always scared I am going to lose this baby. Can anyon e give me some advice or words of encouragement? I am in desperate need of it.
Loki,  have they suggested that you maybe aren't having uterine cramps at all,  but maybe intestinal or stomach cramps that feel like uterine cramps?

If you've had multiple US,  and everything looks fine,  it seems very possible you aren't having what you fear you're having.

Best wishes.
I would have to agree with RockRose.  I am 9 weeks tomorrow, and some of the gas cramps that I am having are so severe, they will scare you.  It is hard to distinguish between a uterine cramp and a intestional cramp too.  How is your diet?
Hopefully your cramps will subside as the pregnancy progresses.  Mine definitely have, but mine weren't as severe as yours to start with.  Try to stay hydrated.  That can make a lot of difference.  
I can agree with those two as well and also say that I am 19wks. and I still get cramps sometimes. The doctor's tell me it's where I am stretching. All her U/S' look fine and all so I try not to worry, but I rented a doppler for the next month or so so I can stop worrying so much till I feel her kick more and I can know shes ok.
Thank you for your support. I had one doctor see the cramp on the U/S but the baby was fine. The only explanation they have is it could possibly be a fibroid that is hiding. I do not think they are intestinal cramps because I can pretty much tell what those are. I don't know but they sometimes last for days and then they go away for a few. These are not like contractions but steady pain.
I am 16 weeks on Thursday and I get a few cramps but I have been advised they are just my body parts strtching & making space for expanding womb.

I have had 1 previous miscarriage so was scared too but all my scans have also been OK.

Good luck. :-)

I am due 1st November when are you due?
Could be round ligament pain? I am 16 wks on Wed and everytime I stand or when Im in yoga moving to a different pose I get them and they hurt. They usually go away. Sounds like everything is going well for you!
I agree with the others.  I had some bad pains too.  I also had a lot of regular cramping too and stretching.  It is really scary, especially if you have had a m/c before.  I would try to drink lots of fluids to rule out dehydrations, and watch what you eat.  I had some gas pains in my belly that would almost make me drop, I would have to lay down and try to relax till they went away.  If you ar econcerned though, it's always best to call your Dr., especially if it's a new thing or changed.  If not and if you were just in last Friday, maybe try relaxing or take some Tylenol for the pain.  It will get better in a little while, then when you hit the third trimester, you get tons of cramps again, which are totally normal.  Pregnancy really isn't the most comfortable thing there are so many pains that you never expect and that nobody ever tells you about.  Good luck, I hope you feel better.
Not to be graphic, but I to am 16 weeks and was having terrible cramps all night last night and into the morning.
Turned out I just had to poop.
I think your baby is fine hun, try to stay positive for his or her sake, stressing out isnt helpin the little one :)