Maternal & Child Community
2 year old eating habits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 year old eating habits

My 2 year old still will not eat much table food.  He will eat things like cookies, french fries, popcorn, but does not like chicken nuggets, hot dogs or many other foods that kids his age love.  We are still very reliant on baby food, and he actually seems to prefer it.  Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
I have a good friend whose daughter was like that.  She wouldn't eat anything solid at all until after 18 months and then was very picky. She now eats well but is still picky about certain textures of food. I would not worry too much, kids kind of grow into readiness for new food experiences I think.  Also, baby food is fairly healthy and certainly more so than hot dogs or chicken nuggets so in some ways it's to your advantage.  The thing to remember is that no kid will let themselves starve or be undernourished- they'll let you know what they need.  Good luck! Annie
I have an 19 month old boy (mind you he is 30lbs and 34 inches tall) and he goes through some serious food jags. A few weeks ago all he would even touch were breakfast hot pockets and milk. Yesterday he ate only bananas (5 total) and other days he eats anything you put in front of him (including non food items he find himself, such a little boy). We see a dietician regularly and like the previous post mentioned, kids are excellent self-regulators. They know how much they need and rarely eat out of boredom, but instead eat out of necessity. I am sure your 2 year old is probably at a lull in the growth cycle and doesn't need a lot to eat right now and will pick up again when another spurt starts. In the mean time, make sure you keep some viatmins on hand and possibly some pediasure if you get too worried. We always make sure to keep some instant breakfast on hand as well to mix with his morning milk just to give a little extra punch. Keep trying new things, you might strike gold ; )

Andrea
Thanks for all the comments, guys.  We have his 2 year check-up at the end of the month, so I will see what the pediatrician says.  Thanks for your help, you've made me feel better!
My husband is a Speech Pathologist and he works with children with Oral Motor difficulties.  Your child may not be comfortable eating solid food right now b/c it is difficult for him.  You may want to see if your insurance will allow you an evaluation from a speech therapist.  Chewing is a very important skill for toddlers.  My husband is always telling me this, as we have a 2 1/2 year old as well.  Good Luck.
Ok my son is now 2 and I am having the hardest time with him. i took him and made sure he did not have a swallowing problem and he was a ok with that. I can get him to eat chicken nuggets french fries cookies cracker and dry cereal but nothing else the rest is yogats baby food oatmeal and jello's and pudding.. I am asking you because you said your husband was a speech therapist.. Does he have any suggestion? He also will not feed himself I still have to feed him. Am I crazy and worring to much or will he pick it up all in time.. Please help.. Thank you.