Maternal & Child Community
2 miscarriages. Genetic testing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 miscarriages. Genetic testing?

I had a miscariage back in december, and now my doctor has suggested that i might miscarry again.both because the fetus didnt develop and no heart beat was detected. This will be two MC in a row. I was wondering if any of you with this situation underwent genetic testing? Did you do any other test before ttcing again? PLease advise.
Hello....Sorry for your losses.
I my self mc 3 times in two yrs. Only after my 3rd did i go
trough any testing. Not genetic, but a ton of blood work. The conclusion of my results are that my blood clots. So i am to see a specialisy here on May 3rd.
My last mc was March, i was 8 wks.
Hopefully i can be fixed!
Well I don't know if i helped, but just so you know you are not alone.
I wish you the best and tons of babydust.

Take Care

Scani
I had to in row - one was a blighted ovum and the other a chemcial pregnancy.  The blighted ovum happened in June 06, the chemcail pregnancy happened in Aug 06, and I got pregnant again in Oct. and now 31w3d.  My dr. said it would be a concern if I had three in a row.  But I don't think it would hurt to get genetic testing - that is if your insurance covers it or you can afford it.
Due to my age(41), they did genetic testing after mc, everything was normal.
I m/c in Aug 06 due to the fetus not developing and again in Nov 06 from chemical pregnancy.   My doctor had said not to get preg again for 5 months and after the 3rd loss they will test.  Oops, I got preg 2 weeks after  my m/c and I am 24 weeks today!   don't give up.  It is heartbreaking to go through this but somtimes it takes a couple tries to get things right!   There is hope.   good luck  
hi i have had 4late m/c a and a stillbirth i had genetics DNA a tone of blood work done my DH was tested as well sperm analysis blood work genetic DNA you name it we had it done and we still do not know why we lost so many but on a more positive note we have three children 12 9 and 3 and I'm currently 16 weeks having some problems because of my cervix and losing one of the twins at 10 weeks but all in all this little baby is a fighter as i have seen two high risk specialist and they both have said i would lose the baby before i was 12 weeks and that day has come and gone and my son is doing just fine hes right were he should be so keep faith dont give up it is the most heart retrenching thing to have to go through but you will get there in the end it may just take time best of luck keep us posted on how your doing  
I had 3 early m/cs - all before week 8 (1st was a blighted ovum seen on u/s but don't know if same problem other times), but I'm pregnant now with 4th try and am in week 32, so don't give up. It all happened quickly within 6 months b/c my OB told me not to wait in between though some people say to wait. Once I waited one month and didn't make a difference. Remember 1 or 2 m/cs is thought to be random but on the other hand after having 2 m/cs we started testing b/c of my age (36) and risks of more m/cs if I waited longer to do testing and treatment before ttc again. Chromosomal testing for me and my husband (blood work) was done and was normal. For me, they also testing for MTHFR and blood clotting disorders - I was found to have heterozygous MTHFR (homozygous is worse) but 1/2 the population has heterozy kind too so not sure if the reason but a hypothesis. I didn't have blood clotting findings but baby aspiring or heparin type injections can be used if so. I also have positive ANA screen which may be due to my family history of Lupus b/c I'm not symptomatic but about 1/3 of normal population has positive ANA. I saw different doctors and in the end was put on 4 mg folic acid (3 b/c I get one from prenatal vitamin), B6 and B12 vitamins, baby aspirin, omega 3 for development of baby and more recently magnesium b/c of heart palpitations from pregnancy. Heparin was mentioned to me as next possible step if I didn't get pregnant next try. I also met with a fertility specialist who does pregnetic testing --- using IVF they determine which embryos will m/c or have genetic mutations and implant "best" ones. It's invasive and expensive but again I got pregnant right before I was about to try this. I also started progesterone for 10 weeks into my pregnancy for this current pregnancy. I was hesitant to take this b/c research is ambivalent about its effectiveness, but we tried it out of desperation. In the end no one knows which or any of these treatments helped me sustain this pregnancy or if all random. Good luck.
Hi,i had 2 missed miscarriages,followed by blood work and genetic testing,i was told i would here with in 10 weeksif anything was found,i never heard anything,and i rang up for the results cos i was that nervous,they said all was fine,im now 14 weeks pregnant,so it just shows dont give up hope xx
I had a miscarriage in Oct and again in Feb and my dr won't do any testing until I've had 3 in a row!   So I took this situation into my own hands and began doing a lot of internet research.  There are things you can do on your own (before you conceive again) to see if you have a problem.  Taking your BBT can indicate if your luteal phase is long enough (mine is only 9 days and taking progesterone supplements during my next pregnancy may help).  Start taking a baby aspirin to help w/ unknown blood clotting disorders.  If you have the time do as much research as you can and do what you feel is best for you.  I have 2 healthy children and don't feel that genetic testing was necessary for me yet and believe my problems are just because I'm older (36) and that my body is changing.  I wish you the VERY best of luck!
Thank you all for your encouraging stories. I think I will go through the genetic testing just to make sure,I wish you all a healthy pregnancy,
I also had two miscarriages in a row, one in Dec & one in May.  I went thru the testing because of my age (now 39) and was put on one baby aspirin a day & extra folic acid (because I have MTHFR).  So far, I am 8 wks pregnant.

Good luck
I had a m/c in February I was almost past the 3 month marker, I was 8 weeks this week and just came back from the doctor, we could not see a heart beat, I did lots of blood work today, and am scheduled for more on Monday, I will see the doctor on Tuesday, and we are thinking of doing genetic tests, in all the caoise today I forgot to ask what do they actually do for genetic testing, what kind of sampling do they take? Any one with helpful info?