Maternal & Child Community
2 vessel umbilical cord

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 vessel umbilical cord

I was told by my doctor today that my baby has a 2 vessel umbilical cord.  He also has Diaphragmatic Heart Hernia.  I had an Amnio and a FISH test and both came back completely normal with no chromasonal abnormalities. He said I will need to get a sonogram every to weeks to monitor the baby's growth.

Does anyone have any information (good or bad) on the umbilical cord or heart issues?

Thanks.
I know that depending on the severity of the hernia that they can go in and do surgery on the fetus while in utero. I don't know about the 2 vessel umbilical cord.
I thought the fetus was supposed to have a 2 vessel umbilical cord. I was watching a baby story today and the baby only had one vessel and there were concerns of growth retardation but the baby was fine in fact she was 9 pounds.
The fetus is suppose to have 3 vessels. My doctor's concern is growth, but so far the baby is doing well and is growing normally.
I think the baby will be fine. I will pray for you BTW how far along are you?
Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.  He is due Christmas Day.
Christmas Day?? Well thats a good sign that he should be just fine!! You should name him Nicholas!! That would fit for christmas!!  well I like that name too it's my sons name! <3
Yeah --I saw that same "Baby story" and their baby only had ONE vessel and it was perfectly fine.
(they are supposed to have three)
So I think your baby should be fine!
I will keep you in my prayers!
my son was born aug 2007 I was told when i was about 5 months that i had a 2 vessel cord as well. he was very concern but not too. the only thing my high risked doc told me was my son may be born small. i was induced a week early because my fluid was low which has alot to do with 2vessel cords. my son weighed 5lbs 13oz 18in long....right now tge only issues my son has is hes pretty small for 3yrs. they got him on pedisure and whole milk to fatten him up but because he gotten taller they think he wont get fat....but mentally and emotionally he is great just he was a bit stunted on the growth which is irritated cause they make it as if I dont feed him when they know I do that son of mine can eat.....lol