Maternal & Child Community
31 weeks but measuring 33-34 weeks...Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant I went to my OB yesterday and they measured me, she said I'm measuring 33-34 weeks, What exactly does that mean? I know I should have asked but I didn't really think about it at the time, any thoughts on this? Does it mean I could be delivering early
How many u/s have you had so far?  They usually can guestimate the due date within a matter of days, and if youve allready had some u/s don I would say that it means that your baby is a little big.  If this is your first, it would mean that you might be welconing your little bundle a few weeks earlier than you thought.
You could deliver early.  I delivered a week early.  Based on the drs I was to deliver on 8/26 and the u/s tech didn't believe that....at 20 weeks she said I'd deliver on 8/21 and I did.

She said I measured bigger than what the drs said.  I trusted the u/s tech...they see it everyday.
There is an average stomach measurement for each week of pregnancy.  When they are measuring you (fundal height), they are checking the location of your uterus.  So if you are 31 weeks pregnant, your uterus should be around 31 cm.  Your measuring a little big.  It's not and exact science though.  There are many causes for this.  If you were overweight before you got pregnant, the position of the baby at the time of measurement. You may have excess fluid. Anything above 25 cm (this is not the same measurement as your uterus measurement) is considered too much.  You could just have a big baby.  Gestational diabetes is another cause.  It's typically nothing to worry about.  Your dr. may watch you a little closer but that's about it.
I measured big with my son and now this one is the same a week to 2 weeks ahead.  Could be anything that the gals above mentioned.  I had a lot of fluid which made a difference, also had a big baby, mine was 10 lbs. 3 oz. , and he kept turning breech which can make them measure a little big too.  You may or may not go earlier, just a measurement.  Good luck though, not much longer!

Also, so glad to see that someone went from 10 lbers to a smaller size.  I guess I would rather have a big healthy baby than one that has problems, but it would be nice to get one a little smaller this time.  Gives me a little hope, u's so far showing baby a little bigger than my first, but you never know.
I am wondering about that too.  My u/s tech just started referring to me as 28 weeks pregnant, when I corrected her and said I was only 26, she said, "Well you're measuring 28."  I later asked the doctor if this meant I should deliver early and she said "no."
The same thing happened to me.  I even had to go in for an extra ultrasound at 32 weeks to see how the baby was measuring, sure enough, she was measuring 2-3 weeks ahead.  I'm now 34 weeks and feel like I have no more room to grow.  I certainly hope it means an early delivery!
When I was pregnant with my first and second babies, I was constantly "measuring big" and everyone said "The due date MUST be wrong".  With both of them, I ended up being induced two weeks late and had a 10lb 4 oz and a 10lb 5 oz baby. Sometimes it just means you are having a BIG BABY.  With my third baby, they induced me two weeks early and she was only 7lbs 8ozs and my doctor told me I was measuring BIG with her all through my pregnancy.  I hope you get to go earlier though!  GOod Luck
sorry to tell you this, but my 7lber was 2 weeks early and my two 10 lbers were 2 weeks late...so that is a month earlier.  But yes it was a really nice surprise all around!  My first two were boys, and planned.  This one was a girl and not at all planned...if i had've known she was there I would've had her 5 years ago.  Right after my second one!  Here's hoping you have a 7 lber.  Delivery was much easier...labour wasn't!  :)