Maternal & Child Community
35 weeks, macrosomia and GD ?'s

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

35 weeks, macrosomia and GD ?'s

with gestational diabetes, does anyone who had it or who knows someone with it, know how long after pregnancy it was before their blood sugar returned to normal and they stopped needing treatment?

also, this afternoon i am going for another ultrasound to check the babies sizes. does anyone remember how much weight their baby gained over a month during the end of their pregnancy? at what point is macrosomia diagnosed? i will be 35 weeks tomorrow and suddenly find myself with tons of questions.

at my last doctor appointment my cervix was still high and closed, but baby a was settling into my pelvis head down. :) watch me be the first twin mommy to go 45 weeks!
You wont go over with twins, nor will you have macrosomia.  I think the biggest twins I ever personally saw were at about 8 pounds apiece.  But usually they are 5-6.5 pounds or so.  Sometimes close to 7 lbs, but not too often.

They won't let you go over.  Don't worry!
I had a macrosomic baby, but they didn't catch it in time.  They figure he was around 8 lbs. at 36 weeks, but did not do a measurement and did not see anything that alarmed them at the hospital when they turned him.  You will be fine, good luck!  Also, I did not have GD, but big babies seem to run on my mom's side.
a month ago they were 4.6 and 3.13. it'll be interesting to see what happens today.

i have a feeling Kai(baby a that was 4.6) is nearing 6 now. Rayen(baby b, 3.13) seems to have more room to move, but that may just be bacause she is still breech while her sister is in the position already.

i keep having dreams about them being 2 years old in the womb! crazy pregnancy dreams. sheesh.

and critter..i weighed 6 pounds, my little brother weighed 8 and my little sister weighed 9.7, the father of my girls,  however(yikes) he was 10lbs5 ozs!!!!i'm glad i am having twins. if this were one child something tells me we would be around 8 pounds now.

i bet i have a good 11 pounds of baby in there at least! it would explain why i feel like a watermelon is falling out of my butt! (sorry tmi)
Weights are fairly inaccurate now, so don't put too much stock in it now.  Its awesome that you've gotten this far w/o major problems!  

i know, i am so fascinated that they are so healthy. i have dodged so many bullets. my protein levels have dropped off alot since i started insulin. my ketones are gone from my urine. my blood pressure is back down to normal and so on. my biggest gripe is those stupid finger pokes. i would take the shot 6 times a day if i got to skip the pokes! lol.

so macrosomia is not really an issue in twins? my doctor was teasing me Friday about not letting them get bigger than 10 pounds a piece. i saw very little humor in that.
I think that was a mean joke!  I think they'll be a nice weight, but twins are rarely huge.  

(now someone is sure to post that they know a girl who had 11 pound twins)
thanks so much for the info. what would i do without you?

i think i owe you a box of wine! (j/k ladies don't freak out on me)

*waits for stories of 11 pounder twins*
"I knew this girl, she ate lunchmeat every day and her babies were 12 pounds apiece.  They wound up naming them Oscar and Meyer".  

Peek you're cracking me up!  Chelly I'm glad to hear things are doing good!  I had my 35 week appt yesterday and my cervix is dilated a cm, it's nice and low and soft.  He told me that my baby's head is engaged as well.  He told me that I could basically go anytime now.  So I'm waiting and waiting.  And I feel like this baby is falling out of me . It hurts to sit down I feel like I'm sitting on him now.
I've been waiting to hear about your twins so when you get back you better get on and tell me what they weigh!!! Either here or myspace! NO 12LB TWINS!! LoL.
To answer you question about the GD, almost always your sugars return to normal after you deliver the placenta (placentas in your case). They took my sugar every hour on the hour during labor and then a few hours after delivery and then 24 hours after that. They also took DD's sugar immediately because babies of GD moms can have low sugar when they're born. Good luck!
thanks ladies!!! i got good news at the ultrasound yesterday. the girls are perfect. they have very long legs and they did not gain a gaggle of weight like i thought. they are doing very well though :)

Kai, baby a , is breech (feet down) and weighs 5 pounds and 4 ounces

Rayen, baby b, is transverse across the top of my uterus and weighs 5 pounds and 8 ounces.

oh and just in case they changed their mids again, they checked, still girls!

i am losing weight now, due to the stupid gd diet i have to use. so strict i want to eat sugar bags!!!!

i've gained 32 pounds at 35 weeks . my doctor set goal was 45 pounds in all.  oh and on other crappy news....i may be 2 weeks less pregnant than i had been told, which makes me 33 weeks. but they aren't sure?!what the heck kind of junk is that?!

i start biophysical profiles and nst's this week. how are those and what do you see?
oh, i forgot to ask...should i worry that they are breech and transverse? at this late and with that much baby in there it doesn't seem like there is room to rotate anymore.

holy cr@p, i am carrying almost 12 pounds of babies!
well almost 11. lol
I bet it is heavier to carry twins.  My first one was 10 lbs. 3 oz., I knew he was big and complained about his size once, but was told that if he was big they would not have been able to turn him, it would've hurt too much.  It did, but I toughed it out!  Anyway, second baby was only 8 lbs. 13 oz., he was induced early to keep him from being another 10 lber.  My husband was barely 5 lbs. at birth and I was around 7 lbs.  Nobody saw it coming.  My sis had what she called big babies, but the biggest was 8 lbs. 3 oz. and all were C-sections.  Just hang in there, they will run out of room soon enough.
Oh I'm glad to hear they aren't getting too big!  Sounds like they're going to both be a very healthy weight when they're born.  So why do they think you're a couple of weeks behind now???
the doctor says the measurements they used to deem my due date were the babies, but they are big. if you use my period it should have not been until November 7th. but my ultrasound said October 3. they said i most likely bled the first month because of losing my triplet, then the next month due to my previa. but now they are migrating back towards my lmp due date, well inbetween the two. i swear they are guessing.

at this point all i know is they'll be here in October.
well i just saw my other doctor, they said that baby a is very low. she could feel her foot when she checked my cervix, but i am not dialated at all yet.

i've lost 5 pounds so now i am only up 28 pounds so far. they've added yet more insulin. argh....if you have even slightly high blood sugar ladies please try real hard to control it by diet if they let you. insulin sucks!

oh and they tell me i have an 80% chance i'll need a c-section because they are getting too big and too cramped to do much turning, much less a full 180. *sigh*
Oh Chelly that sucks about the c-section.  I'll keep you in prayers that they'll turn while there's still some room.  Mine was in the transverse breech position for sooo long, that's why my baby belly literally looked as if it was falling off of my body. But he's turned now, his head's engaged and his big butt's in my ribs all the time!!!  LOL.  And as for guessing, honestly I think doctor's guess about a lot of things because they don't know cra* ya know?  I'm really lucky to have found my doctor, he's awesome.  I'm just really hoping he's on call when I go into labor because that witch that delivered my dd was HORRIBLE.  I'll run screaming outta there to another hospital if she's there again, no joke, she was that bad.  So are they talking about inducing you?  And when?
Congratulations on all the luck you've had so far!!  Wow...what a blessing to be 32-35 weeks and be doing so good!  Hang in there....it's almost over! :)