4 week old with stuffed up nose & having a hard time breathing
Hey ladies. Brooklynn is already a month old! I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. I do have a question for you all....every morning Brooklynn wakes up with a stuffed up nose. It is not usually all that bad until later in the morning. She will have white mucus (I am assuming the white is formula) that comes out of her nose. She has a hard time breathing and I have to suction the boogers out. She doesn't know that she can breath out of her mouth yet so when she gets stuffed up she basically panics because she can't breath. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS OR HELP HER? It makes me a nervous wreck and I just don't know what to do. We are going to buy a humidifier in the morning but what do I do about the formula coming out of her nose and her not breathing when this happens. It really is very stressful. Sometimes this happens at night too. I asked her doctor about it and she said that it might be reflux and the formula just comes out the first hole it can get too and that just happens to be her nose.....IT SUCKS and it is scary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks ladies. Its amazing how much harder it is to get online with a newborn. I miss you all terribly!!!

xoxoxoxox,
Danielle

P.S. Does anyone else out there HATE the new format of medhelp? It seems to be so slow and a real pain in the butt....
It might help if you can elevate her bed a little bit. I've heard you can buy wedge type things to stick under the crib mattress to elevate the mattress. A cool mist humidifier should help too.
Maybe you can keep her in an upright position for awhile after feeding too instead of laying her down right away? Like up against your shoulder for awhile? It might help. I hope she feels better! Poor little baby. I know how yucky it feels when you can't breathe through your nose. Hopefully, she'll bounce back quickly from this and be back to her happy self real fast. Best wishes.
this also happened to my little one.. he choked very early on and seemed as though he was trying to catch his breath back..he was about 6 weeks old and i was soo worried and scared...he was sleeping and i just heard a little wimper through the monitor i am so happy my instict kicked in and i followed it..anywho, i got my son a cool mist humidifyer and it works awesome..i find that he is breathing better and his room isnt as dry now which is super and he sleeps pretty good since then..its great...that might be an idea as the previous poster said...i find it helps so much especially when they are sick..he is 4 months old and is just getting rid of his runny nose and stuffed up so...ya good luck i hope she gets better and hope you find something that works for her..
My little guy was the same way! He sleeps in the pack n play, and we put rolled receiving blankets under the head of the matress to elevate him at night. He gets saline drops before he goes to bed and those really help, too. As for the formula coming out her nose, I would try sitting her more upright when you feed her and keep her sitting up for at least half hour after a feeding. Sometimes when they lay down flat to feed, it can cause problems like you're experiencing and even ear infections. (Not always, each baby's different) The humidifier will help greatly (make sure you only put in about 1/2 the recommended "stuff" in it though...full amount is a bit strong for tiny ones) Once she gets a little older (3 months, I think) you can use the Johnson's vapor bath wash...works good! Finally, we used to put Max in the bathroom while we'd shower and the steam would help him alot!

Hope it gets better! (Max is almost 5 months and we still are dealing with this, but it gets better)
the same thing happens to my baby..formula has been coming through her nose since she was born and the breathing episodes started when she was around three weeks.. your right they are scary and very hard to deal with emotionally...im through the process of switiching formulas and the ped. isnt really saying anyting...my daughter did have a gi track done.. they say sometimes babies can get little over growths in there stomache, its common they said too...i would suggest getting that checked out too just to be safe.
Thank you! Its so nice to know that I am not alone in this. We bought a humidifier and that seems to help alot. Brooklynn has not woken up with a stuffed up nose in 2 days. I am hoping that is all it is going to take to make her "better".

Thanks again!
My daughter did that too at that age. I consulted her doctor and he told me to use baby vapo rub on her chest at night and run a humidifier while she is sleeping at night and nap time, and to use a nasal spray called Little Noes he said to put two drops in each nostril two or three times a day and after I did all of that it cleared up and she was just fine within about a week and a half.