Maternal & Child Community
42 and pregnant. Anyone else out there?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

42 and pregnant. Anyone else out there?

Approx. 8 wks pregnant and 42. Hopefully I will go full term. Anyone else my age and pregnant? Just curious.
I'm 37 and pregnant.  and boy I won't do it again..  LOL
I was 40 when I had my first. I was sick with afternoon sickness for what felt like the entire pregnancy. And traveling home from work was awfull. I hope it is better this time. I don't really feel sick yet. I am approx 8 wks. Do you think I would have morning sickness yet?
I just had my 3rd at 43...a few months shy of my 44th b-day! I had one at 42 also....it is harder much harder but worth it...my last was a surprize ...i had bp issues and other problems so this is my last one. do you have other kids?
yes... I am already tired... but I don't say anything. I think it is too early to feel so tired. It just may be my mind playing tricks on me.
its not too early to feel tired.  That was my first symptom and the only one that has not gone away..  I had morning sickness with this one but not with my other three.  I have a 15,11 and 9 ( maybe thats why I'm so tired).  LOL  good luck.  
I was also very very tired my first trimester...not sure why but I did much better after 13 weeks but had anemia toward the end with both of mine after 40...rest as much as possible and get help from family friends and DH....
If I am able to go full term, I will give birth at 43 as well. I try to stay young looking and dress young too. but I don't know how I look to the other mothers in the playground. :)
I am really  worried. I hope this pregnancy goes well. And I give birth to a healthy child.
I am 44 y.o. and 38 weeks now!  Had trouble conceiving (2 mcs) but no probs with health (ie. no high BP, no swelling, nothing outside of tiredness but had that before--have 9 and 11 year olds already). I am 1 cm dilated as we speak!!!  I think you gotta give up on trying to look like a "young mom" cause you're not (and you're only getting older so we gotta get used to it)!   At least we have the wisdom of experience and not feeling like we're missing out on youthful follies (been there, done that....I spent my 20s travelling the world and in grad school). Trying to think now, well I'll be the 'old mom' but at least I have the time and $ to enjoy the child this time. It's uncomfortable how much society privileges youth and mothers but over 10% are over 40 so we're not that freaky.  ENJOY IT!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I have only a couple of times felt self-conscious due to my age, and that was when I was around people who expect mommies to be really young, such as the registry clerk at Babies R Us.  Otherwise, I generally pass as a mommy who has had a long string of kids and this is just the last one, LOL.  PS -- pregnancy was a breeze until the last 2 weeks when I had swelling in my feet.  The only problem was dealing with the doctors' confusion about whether my symptoms were due to age or not.  I finally just told them to forget that question and treat me like any woman having a baby.
I'm 41 and trying again for #1. We lost one at 12 wks in Jan. Nothing to do with age. It was a placental tear. Genetic testing showed everything was normal with baby so that put my mind at ease for trying again. They say it's harder when you're older, but I got pg 1st try w/dh. I just wish 2nd try was as easy as 1st. And yes, I could barely keep my eyes open at 8 weeks, lol. And sick at the smell of anything "off". Congrats to you !!:)
I'm 38 and pregnant with twins. (31 weeks) I will let you ALL know how old I feel in about 5 weeks!!!! LOL
Most think I am younger than I am and my husband is 48 but looks younger...anyway I feel really old sometimes when around my children's parents but I don't care I really appreciate and enjoy this chance at parenthood at my age. It's hard but I'm having fun too :) All my babies were pretem...this one I made it to 36 weeks the other two 34 weeks...they were all fine....get good prenatl care with a dr that will monitor you closely for your age..mine did and it made all the fifference I think...good luck
I am 41 & I am 8w2d pregnant.  We have been trying since 7/03. Did inseminations, IVF.  I had a large fibroid removed from the outside of my uterus as well as a bunch of endometriosis. I got pg 3/06 on my own.  We were shocked. But lost it at 8 1/2 weeks.  Found out it had trisomy 13.  Had a D&C and had a hard time again.  Had another D&C end of 1/07 and found out we were pg on 3/16/07.  We are due 11/21/07.  But it hasnt been without concerns.  My hcg levels, though rising, arent doubling.  Did at first set of bw but not since.  I bled about 6w3d into pg.  Just once.  Had U/S and bloodwork next day.  Was a small 2mm subchorionic bleed. Dr wasnt too concerned.  Had U/S week later (4/4/07) and was told that there was no change in the size of the sac or what was inside.  It might be fetal pole- but was only 1.5 mm so not sure.  Looked like a possible blighted ovum.  Had another one this past Tues 4/10 and it grew to 6.3mm and had a heartbeat,  Dr was pleasantly surprised.  However, the heartbeat was only 55bpm.  We are trying to stay positive as, like the u/s tech said "it has to start somewhere.  It just doesnt start beating at 120 bpm or more".   I have been on progesterone supplements since 3/29 as it went from 26 on day I found out I was pg to 10  ten days later.  Its 21.7 now.  So it's been a real rollercoaster.  I try not to worry.  I just take it easy. Eat right and get plenty of sleep.  I guess that's all I can do.  It's in God's hands now.  And believe me, he has been hearing from me alot lately.

Good luck and hang in there.
Hi, thanks for posting. I really don't know too much yet about my pregnancy. I just found out last week, when I was concerned that I may be going through changes. : ) Oh well. I have an appt with my dr next Friday. What should the heat beat be at 8wks? I don't even know.
Normal is from 120-160.  So my little munchkin is a bit behind.  Hopefully he will have caught up by u/s on Tues.
WOW! good for you. Was it a suprise? Best of luck!
I pray every night as well. I think it works. : )
Rest is also a good thing. Good Luck. Thanks for posting.
I am 40 just found out last week I am pregnant again.  Scared to death of starting over.... I have a 9 year old daughter and my husband and I are finaly starting to have some fun again..  
After, I got over the panic, I am actually happy and excited.  However, I am concerned and still scared.  Although my HCG levels seem to be going up normally they are a little lower than they should be if my calculations are right.  My last period was February 26th, which means I should be about 7 weeks along.  My HCG level from Monday this week was 2800 and even though they are doubling as they should.  They should be furhter ahead if the calculations are right.  Then to worsen my situation, I have had two vaginal ultrasounds in which neither one they could find a normal sac.  They see something but very abnormal shaped according to doctor.  We are checking the HCG levels all week and will have another ultrasound on Thursday.  

I am over the shock of being pregnant at 40 but now it seams that I am in a forever waiting period with no definitive answers.  If I am not pregnant then what is it?   Cancer?   Ectopic Pregnancy that they can not find?    

Please tell me if you have expirienced anything like me?  
my mom is 42 and 12 weeks pregnant with twins...the rest uf us are all over 21, she had her first at 16...and hopefully her last at 42...
I am 41 (will be 42 when this boy is born), and had my first at 39... AND I want one more... my husband (who has 2 children from a previous marriage) says no more kids, because we will be too old.  I just got a late start, but grateful the for my 'more mature' choices at this stage.  I know I have more patience with my 2 1/2 year old, than I would have at 25!  mostly scared of my age and not being able to loose (and maintain) weight than I was when I was 20 or 30.  We will see if I still want a third, but for now, I have minimum issues while preg (except migraines with this second one :(  )  my first had 2 weeks of 'all day sickness' and she was 2 weeks early.  I have had an amnio with both to set my mind at ease, and just chugging along with this second one...(now at 17 weeks)  I say bravo for having kids later, I enjoyed my younger years (drinking, smoking... bar hopping)... now ready to do the mature, responsible thing!  :)

I just had a baby at 42. I was 41 when I conceived. I had a normal, healthy pregnancy, wonderful delivery and now have a lovely, healthy little baby girl...if you  took care of yourself and have great genes, you will be fine.
I just found out that i am pregnant...... My boyfriend who is 5 years younger than me worries that i might have a baby with a birth defect. He also has other children and said he does'nt want any more. I already have two of my own 23 & 20.......i know you might think why i waited this long, but i did not wait at all it took me by surprise. He told me of all the possibilities of what might go wrong but i want to take my chances. Tell me what you think.
I am 42 and pregnant.  I am going into my 19th week.  I have one son that is 21 years old.  My husband is 35 years old, and this is his first child.  We decided against any testing because we felt blessed that we are having this baby.  We had a miscarriage last year around January.  I am a very healthy person, eat well, exercise and I feel younger than my age.  We feel everything is going to be fine, and we are excited no matter what.  You can't focus on the possibilities of the negatives, just focus on your blessed event.  
Take care of yourself and everything will turn out just fine.
I am 42 and pregnant. The first 3 months were rough (tired/crampy/spot bleeding) but 4-7 months were pleasant with no complications. I am at 32 wks. with a regular pregnancy. I avoided salts, fried foods and sugary diets (food in wrappers /processed) to help with lessening the risks among our age group. I think healthy diet and de-stressing goes along ways for anyone pregnant. With Dr's approval, I still exercise too but less intensely. Though I am surprised to hear the mixed comments about "being older" and pregnant at times....ppl forgot about our grandparents who had kids up to their early 40's due to no b/c. Sadly, women can lose a baby at any age. It is just normal to worry being a parent. It is my first too. Good luck
Yes Mam....we are out here.  I'm 42 and 12 weeks pregnant.  Good luck to both of us!
I have a question to the posters or others 40 or older that stated their pregnancies were unplanned. Were any of you using birth control including condoms?
Hi, I'm 42 and just found out last night with a positive pregnancy test--so I guess I am technically 3 weeks?  It's natural, no fertility help--my husband wasn't up for trying that. I have one little guy I had two days before my 39th, and a miscarriage about this time last year, so I am PRAYING!!!  Have you found out anything special/out of the ordinary folks our age should first trimester, or if there's anything we should do, to help support the pregnancy?  
So glad you posted -- it's hard when you can't tell anyone, and I'd love to at least anonymously be able to talk to someone about it!
I wish you absolutely every every possible good luck!!
I am 42 years old and 5 weeks pregnant. This will be my first child. It was unplanned but I am excited about finally having a baby. I am in a loving relationship and it feels like perfect timing in my life. Some days I feel so blessed but other days I feel sick about "what if's" like what if my baby has Down's or what if I miscarriage. I know the odds are 1/90 for a woman my age to have a baby with Down's - and that scares me. My first appointment isn't for another month and I am going crazy worrying! Any words of wisdom?
42 years old and pregnant for the second time. I concieved my son naturally 16 years ago. I tried IVF 2 years ago and after one miscarriage decided it was not meant to be. After coming to grips that no more children were in our future we moved on. Surprise Im 6 weeks pregnant and scared to death! Im in such shock I have no idea what I want. My husband is away golfing for a week and Im dealing with this by myself right now. He is going to be so shocked when I tell him but I have decided to wait until he gets home to tell him. I really dont know how he is going to react. Any advise out there.. I really dont know what to do?
Hi, I am also 42 and pregnant. I have a 9 yr old. Just got married a year ago and we want a child of our own. I can relate to your comments about your current relationship and about Downs and miscarriage. I had a miscarriage last august. The doctor says we can do a Quad screen test for Downs. IDK if I want the test or not,but I think maybe it will give me some peace of mind....